The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I was hoping to do the 50 miler on Thursday (day off work) but I've been asked to take part in a Brexit readiness meeting from about 1pm. Would 25 miles in the morning and another 25 miles after the meeting count? If not, I'll just have to hope for some good weather at the weekend!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I was hoping to do the 50 miler on Thursday (day off work) but I've been asked to take part in a Brexit readiness meeting from about 1pm. Would 25 miles in the morning and another 25 miles after the meeting count? If not, I'll just have to hope for some good weather at the weekend!
My rule of thumb is if you think it counts then it counts . My own rule for wether it counts is the change of clothes rule ,no change of clothes it counts as 1 ride ,a change of clothes makes it 2 rides to rule out commutes . I will leave to you to decide

Jenkins

Legendary Member
My rule of thumb is if you think it counts then it counts . My own rule for wether it counts is the change of clothes rule ,no change of clothes it counts as 1 ride ,a change of clothes makes it 2 rides to rule out commutes . I will leave to you to decide
Good job it's an online meeting and my works laptop hasn't got video capabilities then. Bike gear all day and nobody in the meeting will have to see that!

Domus

Guru
Not a bad morning so went to Frederick's in Chorley for a coffee and flapjack, very nice too. By way of a change when I got to Horwich rather than climb up to The Blundell, I turned up Georges Lane, then onto Matchmoor Lane. The views from the top were spectacular, blooming cold though. Along Scout Road, Belmont Road and home via the Ring Road. Will go up there again, nice and quiet too. :okay:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Well, I was up and about earlier this morning than I expected (or wanted) to be, so I was able to get the 50 mile challenge ride completed in a single hit before the meeting. No siting around in sweaty cycling gear and trying to force my lazy arse out of the chair and back on the bike afterwards. Instead I was home in time for a hot shower and time to make a decent mug of coffee before the online presentation started.

That's both of the half century challenges completed for the second year in a row, with still a couple of days off work to add to the running total if the weather holds - especially Christmas Day when I like to do a Festive 50k before lunch.

December and 2020’s challenge done!

I rode down to Nuneaton to meet some friends and set out for a (socially distanced) ride back up towards home and the nearby McDonald’s at Appleby Magna. All familiar lanes, no climbing of note, just a nice leg stretch and fresh air. Once we left McDonald’s I peeled off after a mile or so to make the nine mile journey back home. 52 miles in 3:03.

I really have struggled for motivation to get out this past few weeks what with the weather, work (and its BS politics) and general malaise, and so have largely confined myself to number crunching on Zwift. But such was my desire today to get out, only extreme weather, severe illness or a natural disaster would have stopped me. It was the kick up the arse I desperately needed!

Big thanks to @13 rider for setting up the challenge and a huge well done to everyone who’s taken part. Here’s to a better year next year!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Number 19 as well ,Well done @Bazzer

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I'm sure 13 rider will correct me if needed but after an uncertain start due to illness, then an hiatus caused by some widespread virus or other, I was not sure I was going to achieve anything this year. However, I'm pretty sure that from May onwards I've put down two rides of 50 klicks or so per month. Does that tick the box?

steverob

Guru
Early monthly update . We have 19 riders fully posted up and challenge completed . That leaves 4 riders yet to post so a nudge for @Milkfloat ,@steverob ,@Saluki and @Rob and Alison .
First chance to ride this month will be tomorrow, if health and weather are kind to me - they haven't been so far in December unfortunately. But then today was my last working day until the New Year, so hopefully there will be further opportunities if not...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Early monthly update . We have 19 riders fully posted up and challenge completed . That leaves 4 riders yet to post so a nudge for @Milkfloat ,@steverob ,@Saluki and @Rob and Alison .
Well done to everyone wether you completed or not just for getting out and doing the miles
Shall we do it next year ??
Plenty of rides ridden, just been too lazy to post one. Will remedy that tomorrow. Thanks for the nudge.

Domus

Guru
Out again this morning, as I have sold my Wahoo Bolt on this very forum it was being collected today so just a quick (well you know what I mean) 50 Km dash missing out my usual climb out of Horwich. A vey quick pit stop in Adlington, resisting Frederick's for a frosty bench at the War Memorial.
Left home with the Wahoo showing 0 Deg C, saw -1 at one point and got back home in watery sunshine and a tropical 2 Deg C.

If Father Christmas makes it here in Tier 3 I will be out testing my Wahoo Roam before New Year. :okay:

Top Bottom