The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well done @C R
At least the forecasters got half the forecast right :laugh:

bruce1530

Guru
And we’re in.... that’s 4 years now!

Cold morning today - heavy frost and lots of ice - so didn’t leave til after 10, and stuck to the main roads. Even so, was a bit nervous - kept thinking of a similar trip a few years ago where I went through a puddle, didn’t realise it was ice underneath, and ended up getting B&B from the NHS...

But today’s trip was great. Plenty of layers, winter boots, merino socks.

From home, along the A78 coast road to Seamill, then Portencross. Stopped at the car park for a photo.

View from Portencross, looking over the Firth of Clyde to Arran.

Back to the main road - didn’t risk the farm road today - there’s one section that’s fine when dry, but wouldn’t’ do it when wet or muddy. Along the A78 for a couple of miles, then down the bridleway towards Hunterston.

Past the power stations, and on to the end of the road. At this point I’m only about a mile from where I took the last photo. In the summer, I’d have taken the short cut path, but at this time of year it’d need a mtb.

Again, spectacular views across to Arran.

Turned again back to the main road, Fairlie and Largs.

Take-away coffee and cake at the Green Shutters.

Ten minutes drinking coffee, watching the ferry and generally watching the world go by, then back home along the A78.

53 cold, but very pleasant, km.

1607264124820.png

Last edited:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
December's done, in fact I've managed a ride of 100K or more for every month bar April - I cant for the life of me cycle at 100km/h = though on this ride my garmin tells me my top speed was 236km/h....strange...thought I'd notice that.

103Km Blaby - Wiloughby Waterlys - Ashby Magna - Dunton Bassett - Leire - Ashby Parva - Frolesworth - Claybrooke Magna - Monks Kirby -Withybrook - Shilton - Brinklow -Caithron - Easenhall- Brinklow -Caithron - Easenhall (again)-Pailton - Claybrooke Parva - Ullesthorpe -Gilmorton - Peatling Parva -Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

took my esy route as still doing 10k+ runs on Saturday.....also had a 15km walk too so was already worn out wen I set out, Still made it!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Oops I must really learn to count :shy:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another finsher for the 50km challenge with a bit of Christmas Shopping late morning/early afternoon today. The only problem is that it was a bit of a waste of time as the item I went to pick up at Currys was too big to get into my backpack and I'll have to go back tomorrow with the car. Still, it was a lovely day for it with virtually no wind so I took my time on the 29er.

The ride thread will be updated when I complete the 50 mile challenge - hopefully next week if the weather holds.

Domus

Guru
Challenge completed. First ride this winter in my winter boots, good job too, set out with the Wahoo showing 2 deg C, got to Belmont and it was showing 0 deg C. The sun came over the hill and it rocketed up to 1 deg C. Had my new Planet X two fingered gloves on they seemed to do the trick. Ta whoever that was. Hot Chocolate at Fredericks then home for hot shower and bask in the glory of a challenge completed.
Many thanks 13 rider. Top man :notworthy:

Top Bottom