The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Apologies to @LeetleGreyCells I missed you of the nudge list but your over the line
29 posted ,1 to update thread

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Thanks for the offer @Domus.
I have flats but I can't do 30 miles on those at the moment. My legs need the extra leverage from spds (cardio vascular disease) to do that sort of mileage lately and it's those ones which have buggered up.
If I can get some training done this year I'll have another crack at it next year.

edit: The good lady is saving my ass so I may still be in with a chance!

Last edited:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Thanks for the offer @Domus.
I have flats but I can't do 30 miles on those at the moment. My legs need the extra leverage from spds (cardio vascular disease) to do that sort of mileage lately and it's those ones which have buggered up.
If I can get some training done this year I'll have another crack at it next year.

edit: The good lady is saving my ass so I may still be in with a chance!
hurrah!! but also don't forget the lunacy challenge which anyone can join at any time in the year, 13 rides of a length you choose but they can be ridden however you like over 12 months, no monthly requirement. Allows for good weather weighting ^_^

Slick

Guru
Really struggling to keep in this challenge for the same reasons we all are. I've treated myself a set of hand built wheels and I'm a bit precocious about them so I've taken to the velodrome to try and get my fitness back to where it was at Christmas. The ride itself was Sunday as it looked like the best chance to get round my usual loop dry but as everyone else is finding out, that turned out to be hopeful.

The sun was shining and as I decided to get the bike out, the heavens opened. I checked the forecast again and reckoned if I sat for half an hour I could get right round dry. The biggest stretch of the ride was into what I thought was a really tough head wind but it must have been coming across me as I changed direction at Fenwick heading for Stewarton the doom clouds gathered in seconds as it felt like darkness had fallen and hail stones came down almost blinding me. It didn't last long and the sun had come back out by the time I met my wife for lunch at the Dunlop Dairy. I nearly caved when she offered to throw the bike in the back of the jeep but I just about had enough resolve to finish and keep myself in the challenge, but only just.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Really struggling to keep in this challenge for the same reasons we all are. I've treated myself a set of hand built wheels and I'm a bit precocious about them so I've taken to the velodrome to try and get my fitness back to where it was at Christmas. The ride itself was Sunday as it looked like the best chance to get round my usual loop dry but as everyone else is finding out, that turned out to be hopeful.

The sun was shining and as I decided to get the bike out, the heavens opened. I checked the forecast again and reckoned if I sat for half an hour I could get right round dry. The biggest stretch of the ride was into what I thought was a really tough head wind but it must have been coming across me as I changed direction at Fenwick heading for Stewarton the doom clouds gathered in seconds as it felt like darkness had fallen and hail stones came down almost blinding me. It didn't last long and the sun had come back out by the time I met my wife for lunch at the Dunlop Dairy. I nearly caved when she offered to throw the bike in the back of the jeep but I just about had enough resolve to finish and keep myself in the challenge, but only just.
Well done for sticking with it and getting over the line . If you cursed the challenge and me during the ride you are forgiven

gavgav

Guru
I’m still in!!! The weather has relented, mostly, on our holiday to Cumbria and so we hired bikes (Hardtail Mountain ones!) from Grizedale and did a ride today. Some of it on the forest tracks, some on roads, freezing cold, with all weathers you could imagine, including a monstrous Hailstorm and some bloody steep hills, but this challenge kept me going! One of the hardest 50’s ever

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I am going to attempt to get a minimum of 2 points per month. Making a public declaration here to shame myself into doing it!

January
4th - 31 miles - 1 point
Alveston, Elberton, Berkeley, Damery
19th - 31 miles - 1 point Damery, Stinchcombe, Cam, Dursley, Frocester, Eastington, Frocester, Gossington Bridge, Berkeley, Ham, Damery

February
8th - 32 miles - 1 point
Hawkesbury Upton, Sopworth, Leighterton, Dursley, Stinchcombe, Damery
27th - 31 miles - 1 point Tytherington, Alveston. Littleton-upon-Severn, Oldbury on Severn, Berkeley, Damery (the last sunny day in Feb!)

Total: 4 points
Left it late for the second ride ,but 2 months down just 10 to go

Top Bottom