The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Not sure how things are challenge wise - hardly managed to cycle at all during April (but ran a total of 212km) - still managed my first longish ride yesterday - 62Km - would have found it a tad difficult to do 50K in an hour during April and don't like spending too much time on the turbo...
Basically April became a bye for any who didn't get a ride in so your still in

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
May's ride done in the real world, so I won't have to rely on my turbo ride up the Passo del Stelvio :whistle:

Enjoyed it, although it was surprisingly breezy. No records set but it was more about getting a ride in so mission accomplished. Although if I'd realised I was on 51.95km when I got home, I have gone to the end of the street to round it up...:laugh:

Domus

Guru
Scorchio in Sunny Radcliffe so a day off from gardening and off out on the bike. Blooming busy, :eek: Has lockdown been suspended? Several motorbike clubs in evidence in and around Rivington. Lots of cars about everywhere, few bikes and joggers. Leg much improved but avoided steep climbs to avoid further damage to calf muscles.

steverob

Guru
Well it looks like I'm not going to manage an outdoor 50km ride this month. Don't feel all that comfortable in taking a bye (or using my 50km Zwift ride) as it's not strictly speaking Coronavirus that's preventing me from riding, but rather a mechanical issue - which let's face it, in other years would not have been a legitimate excuse for skipping a month.

Yes, there is a minor link to the outbreak that hasn't worked in my favour, in that because every man and his dog are trying to get their bikes fixed at the same time, I can't actually book my bike into any LBS as they are all quoting at least a two week wait just to even look at it (and that's if you can get hold of them at all, because their phones are constantly engaged), but overall I think I just have to chalk this up as a bit of bad luck.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
@steverob . I can understand your point of view regarding what acceptable or not at the end of the day the challenge is not a competition you are just challenging yourself . I would accept a split consecutive day ride turbo or not but the choice is yours if you feel this is fair or not .
Normal service hopefully will be resumed in June and the normal stricter, sticking the rules @13 rider will return

Willd

Veteran
First try at the 50km challenge. Managed it in under 2hrs which was my target (16.1 mph avg), a bit breezy.

steverob

Guru
Determined to stay in this challenge by hook or by crook! Borrowed my wife's bike - a hybrid that's about two sizes too small for me, with bouncy suspension and wide knobbly tyres - but managed to do a 50km ride on it sticking almost solely to cyclepaths. Also had to get up ridiculously early in order to get the ride in, because the Waddesdon Greenway (the path I spent the most time on) is an absolute magnet for off-the-lead dog walkers most of the day (despite it being against the by-laws) and I didn't fancy having to play dodgems with our four legged friends.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
How things change, eh? From thinking I was going to struggle to get a qualifying ride in for May, I've now done two 50k rides - my best monthly score for a good while.

Like @steverob above I was also on a different bike - after Saturdays abandoned ride I got the Boardman Pro Carbon out and fettled and by heck it was good to get out on it again.

A very similar route to my last 50k, in absolutely glorious wall to wall sunshine, but with a moving average speed 1.2 mph quicker - that'll be the bike. ;)

I've spent this period trying to explore the local area a bit more than normal. Its quite amazing how much scenery and variety there is here in the East Midlands. Some steep climbs, some rolling roads and so pan flat pootle traps. Really enjoying the riding at the moment.

Today's ride took me out through Ulverscroft, Anstey, Rothley and then a wide loop back. Need to get out toward Great Dalby again, see John O'Gaunt viaduct again.

Top Bottom