The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
October done.

Met up with none other than @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds at Market Bosworth and set off for a spin up to the honey pot cafe (formerly beehive). They were on a mission to complete their monthly imperial ton challenge and had got some early miles in prior to meeting me. 19 miles later we’d arrived at rosliston and the cafe where we had a guest appearance from @Lilliburlero. Hadn’t seen sight nor sound of him since New Year’s Day last year so it was brilliant to catch up with him again and hopefully we’ll get to have a spin with him again soon. Heading back towards Bosworth I had done around 45 miles or so by the time I’d got there and figured I’d push on to get a metric ton rather than ride straight back which would have made me well short of that mark. Winging the rest of the route home we said goodbye to @Supersuperleeds at Kirby Muxloe and cracked on to nearby Ratby, where I peeled off from @13 rider and did the last 7-8 miles solo. All the climbing came in this section but I didn’t mind as I was quite fresh legged. Got back home having done nearly 66 miles and with 3 points in the bag for the month. Was nice to catch up with the lads again.

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
With my back feeling better, not yet 100% but good enough for a low level ride. Set off for a gentle ride to see number three daughter, at a social distance I may add, then continued on through Leigh and Hindley to Blackrod, cracking clear views across the West Pennine Moors. Up to the Blundell Arms with sweat in my eyes, too many layers, then got cold on the fast descent into Bolton just can't seem to get it right this time of year. Back home with 57 sunny Kms and another point.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I decided to say ‘stuff the unpacking, paint and putting shelves up’ and took the Genesis for a spin. An old favourite route from when I lived in West Earlham, in fact I passed the end of my old road. Couple of small errors on the route but it’s been well over 5 years since I have ridden that route. I loved it.

The weather is pants for the next few days. I needed a ride. Very pleased to have moved back to Norwich.

Another 2 points in the bag with yet another meander around the Peak District- three big climbs (and others!) achieved. Very cold and foggy conditions as I got further north around Hathersage, back down towards Bakewell it was 10 degrees warmer and sunny!
Had a little potter down the Monsal Trail as well to give my noodle legs a break from the relentless climbing but then finished off with another climb into Stanton in Peak. I definitely went the right way there- 13% it topped out at but coming back down the other side it was 25%! Not good for descending fast with the road conditions but glad I didn’t have to climb it!

Domus

Guru
Crap week, Mum died on Wednesday, it was expected but still crap. Mrs Domus had appointment for her cataracts but her diabetes has put the op in doubt. Both of us depressed. Forced myself out this morning to try to clear my head and blow some cobwebs away. Another point in the bag and life must go on.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Crap week, Mum died on Wednesday, it was expected but still crap. Mrs Domus had appointment for her cataracts but her diabetes has put the op in doubt. Both of us depressed. Forced myself out this morning to try to clear my head and blow some cobwebs away. Another point in the bag and life must go on.
My condolences to you and your family @Domus. So glad a ride can help at a difficult time

The Bystander

Über Member
I'm out. I've been looking for excuses, but I think it boils down to my get up and go having got up and gone and taken my mojo with it.
The nearest I can come to an excuse is that I gave up car ownership a couple of years ago so cycling has become more utilitarian than recreational. I've just been out for a supermarket run (a mere 15 miles) and frankly that's enough for me at the moment.
Best of luck for the next couple of months to the rest of you..

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I'm out. I've been looking for excuses, but I think it boils down to my get up and go having got up and gone and taken my mojo with it.
The nearest I can come to an excuse is that I gave up car ownership a couple of years ago so cycling has become more utilitarian than recreational. I've just been out for a supermarket run (a mere 15 miles) and frankly that's enough for me at the moment.
Best of luck for the next couple of months to the rest of you..
That's a shame but if your mojo gone it's difficult to force yourself out . Hopefully your mojo will reappear soon

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru

C R

Guru
This year's been good for riding, with the weather definitely helping, Yesterday was only the second challenge ride this year that I got wet.

Looking at the advance weather forecast for November, things don't look as good, and I can already feel my motivation waning.

Top Bottom