The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I stayed close to home today because of the large and menacing black clouds that kept rolling in from the west. I don’t think I was further than 8km from home at any point today. A loop out E to la Plaisance, then W to Kerminy, S to Guilliers and a loop around there, back up to Kerminy, then E to St Brieuc-de-Mauron and then home for a swift sandwich and a couple of dates. Out on the bike again after 15 mins, and another loop out to la Plaisance, then W on the D2 again into an even stronger west wind – back to St Brieuc-de-Mauron and another couple of loops round there to make sure that I was over the 50km mark.

I’m now less than 22km from 30,000km since 1 January 2017 .. but my first Covid jab is tomorrow afternoon, so I’m not sure when I’ll be back on my bike. Hopefully on Sunday but I’m not taking anything for granted.

fatjel

Veteran
Cold wet and windy this morning , had the second covid jab yesterday so the perfect time for an early morning 50k.
@bluenotebob my first one I felt rough for a couple of days after everyone said I'd be fine. You'll be fine !

Gibbo9

Veteran
Went away camping for the weekend with the better half. She managed to find us a spot at a beautiful camp site on a hillside overlooking the sea. It was absolutely stunning. Didn't sleep well the first night due to the stifling heat, woke up at 4am which was just in time to witness a lovely sunrise whilst I was having a brew. As I am not familiar with the area I decided to keep to a very simple out and back route along the coast road. It was a lovely morning with very little wind and very little traffic. I never once expected to complete over 300m of climbing along a coast road but it was very undulating.

It pains me to report that Taiwan is now suffering from it's first outbreak of local Covid cases. Mainly due to complacency (and one or two irresponsible individuals visiting 'tea shops'). We have had 500 cases in the last week and the threat level has been raised to 3. Essentially I am now working from home for the next 3weeks. I am fairly confident they will have this under control and shut down within two weeks, I am hopeful anyway. On the plus side it gives me more time to get out for some riding.

Sun set from the camp site.
31.jpg

Sunrise from the same spot.
32.jpg

View from the coast road.
33.jpg

Took a trip into the mountains to visit Lovers Lake. Truly stunning but the 36 degree heat meant we didn't stay long.
34.jpg

Today I was out of the house for over 4.5 hours to complete a 50km ride ! . Out the door at 9.30 for an hour's ride to Mum's care home ,An hours visit then 15 minutes to a local cafe to meet Sisters to discuss Mum's health . A long 2 coffee stop . Back on the bike to knock off the last 15 miles ,home just after 2 with 32.59 miles in the bag
Was disappointed yesterday to see a fellow halfer post a ride of 30.94 miles on Strava !! . Apparently there was a bit of snow on some hill near Sheffield and it was cold . But it's England in May surely its not going to snow .Anyway @Noodle Legs secret is safe with me
Haha, if Sheffield has moved north to County Durham then yeah it was Sheffield! :laugh: If I could have squeezed another 300m out I would’ve done it but I was borderline hypothermic and couldn’t feel my shifters!

On the subject of 50km, regrettably my 2021 journey stops here. Been feeling a little iffy this past few weeks and certainly nowhere near my best and today returned home from a trip to hospital after suffering chest pains with acute pericarditis (inflammation of the heart lining) and so a few weeks rest is needed. On the plus side I don’t have to work for a week or two and can watch the Giro undisturbed so not all bad. If I’m lucky I’ll get waited on hand and foot as I convalesce too (yeah, right!)

Good luck to everyone else still in the challenge and hopefully I’ll be back in for 2022. :okay:

Gibbo9

Veteran
Sorry to hear this @Noodle Legs hoping you get well very soon indeed.

Gibbo9

Veteran
Decided to do something different for a week day. I usually stick to the riverside during the week as its easier and means I can get home quickly if there is a problem at work. Fancied a change this morning though so headed out to tackle one of my favourite climbs out here. weather was gloomy to start and it was forecasted to rain but, as usual, the forecast was completely wrong and it turned into a lovely morning.

A bit of an early start as I needed to be back in time for a 0900 meeting. First 21km is very flat which gives the legs time to warm up. It's a 10km climb from bottom to top, no really serious gradients more a steady climb the whole way up. The climb itself is routinely used by the youth in their super cars who go hairing up and over the top. Lots of switch backs and tight turns so you need to keep your concentration to avoid any idiots. Very quiet today though, which may be down to the situation or to the fact I was out so early.

There is a café called Nature Vibe at the top where we used to get coffee and sit outside looking at the incredible view down the valley. Sadly it's closed down now. Route back is the same way as that going out until right at the end. If I go over the top and down the other side it will take me to route 9 which is a notoriously busy main road so I avoid that.

Really enjoyable this morning.

Obligatory selfie at the top
37.jpg

View from the top.
36.jpg

Bit of a better view on the way down
35.jpg

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
My ongoing battle this year with the weather (and also with weather forecasting) continues with me getting wet when I'd tried everything in my powers to avoid that happening!

The route I chose involved the climb up from the village of Dorton to the village of Chilton and the last time I attempted that (just over two years ago) I ended up being caught in two seperate hail showers, one of which was nasty enough for me to have to stop and find shelter in a hedge. On this attempt, I only had the one downpour that had a brief bit of hail in it (plus three other short occurances of rain elsewhere on the route) so I guess that's an improvement? Maybe the next time I try it I might hopefully get away with only a little bit of drizzle!

This time I was able to shelter from the worst of it properly in an actual bus shelter at a nearby railway station. Not that I was desperate to get out of the rain or anything, but looking back at Strava I've managed to set a number of PRs in the run-up to the station, so I guess that was good motivation! Once it had eased off and I'd wrung out my sodden gloves, I got back on the road again, but knowing I only had nine miles to home from there, most of which would have a tailwind as well, I decided to head back and only do a 50km today before any more rain came along.

Last edited:

Gibbo9

Veteran
Managed to get out for a Sunday afternoon jolly. Weather was lovely. I did the first 33km on my own then the better half met me on the riverside and joined me for the remaining 18km, she is a far better cyclist than I am, albeit a tad slower.

Rainy season has arrived with a vengeance this morning so it looks like my cycling is over for the rest of this week at least. I was hoping to top 60 points by the end of May but looking unlikely now.

Stay safe all.

Top Bottom