The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
This made me chuckle. Correct @13 rider I am 7 hours ahead of you guys so do have a distinct advantage. Kudos to @Eribiste who must have been out very early indeed.

And yes the rain is very warm, however it is also of biblical proportions ^_^
When I was in Australia I always had the idea of completing my ride before the 1st of the month UK time. Even better would have been the January ride which would appear to have been done in the previous year. Never quite managed it though. Of course, US riders could always do their rides after the end of the month/year just to confuse things further.

Got my ride in yesterday, a nice 35miles around the place. Got shouted at by someone but thought it was another person in a car, not the chap on the bike who turned out to be @13 rider! All in all, a nice ride, did think about heading to Nice Pie but thought it was a bit late!

aferris2

Guru
June ride complete. Just over 100km so 3 points for this month (so far).
Rode out to Bradwell on Sea to enjoy the views along the coast. Not as sunny as predicted, but I probably had enough sun anyway. There weren't many people out walking today, probably because it's mid-week, but there were plenty of very fast cyclists out on the roads. Much nicer to be out on a leisurely ride than dashing about.

Domus

Guru
Saturday was a lovely day in Sunny Grange, usual route to Lindale then took a slight detour to Witherslack by a very quiet lane where my tyre picked up a bit of sticky tar covered gravel. Yes it was that hot, the persistent clicking took some finding and then needed a stick to remove. Onward to Arnside for coffee and Croissant before the hot climb up to Silverdale. Back to Levens via Storth and the tide turned, so the last hour was into a headwind. Almost 70 Kms in the end and a well earned jam and cream scone. (Rhymes with stone). (Oh yes it does)

Fergs

Guru
Saturday morning saw me out on a ride to bushy park to meet up with Mrs Fergs and mini-Fergs at the playground before heading home. Heading home via a little detour since the last time I tried it I only covered 48km. I’m delighted I didn’t make that mistake twice.

This time I covered 49km. Sigh...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I know that round trip commutes are not counted for the challenge, but last week's good weather put me in the mood for a personal challenge - could I do over 50k for the commute each day?
Being on the late shift with plenty of time to do the bulk of it on the way in certainly helped.
1623621217270.png

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I know that round trip commutes are not counted for the challenge, but last week's good weather put me in the mood for a personal challenge - could I do over 50k for the commute each day?
Being on the late shift with plenty of time to do the bulk of it on the way in certainly helped.
View attachment 593763
Technically they do count as the rules allow you 24hrs to complete a ride . But I feel they are against the spirit of the challenge as to me they are separate rides . But I would allow them if you feel they should count as they are within the rules it's a personal choice .
By the way congratulations on completing your mini challenge

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
June's done

13/6/21 104Km Blaby-Wigston -Geat Glen - Little Stretton - Houghton on the hill - Ingarsby - Beeby - Borough on the Hill - Somersby - Owston - Loddington - Eyebrook Reservoir (along side to far end from..) - Horningbold - Hallaton - Slawston -Cranoe - Kibworth Harcourt -Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

First time out east - forgot how nice it was...were it a tad cooler Id have headed to Fotheringhay...a longer ride still...in the end 104k was enough.....

Monthly update time ,we have 29 riders fully posted up ( including @tallliman :ohmy:) ,2 riders with rides done yet to update the challenge thread in @AndreaJ and @cosmicbike . Nudge time for @Sbudge and @Nomadski. Unfortunately we have a retiree this month in @Noodle Legs due to an health condition
Well done everyone who's up to date including @slow scot
Halfway next month it's practically downhill from there :laugh:
All caught up, I thought I'd updated for May already. Half way there now.

Domus

Guru
A very pleasant five days in Grange with two rides in the sunshine. Usual route through Cartmel to Coniston then having puffed up Hawkshead Hill I turned left into Ambleside for a coffee and drool over some exotica in Push Cartel bike shop. Very nice coffee and some fabulous bikes. Into Bowness and about a million people eating ice creams. :wacko: Pushed on through Crosthwaite and back to the van. First two pointer for a while, 87 Kms. A full day painting the deck railings earned me enough brownie points for a second ride on Thursday. Caught the 09.26 train to Barrow and enjoyed a lovely ride back to Grange via the Bay Cycle Way. I have done this route 4 times now and I still missed the left turn in Gleaston :wacko:. It's only 16 Kms in but it is a cracking coffee stop in the old mill. The steep side of Bigland Hill always takes it's toll but this time I managed it with only one brief breather. It really is a stinker in the hot sun. Two cracking rides should hopefully put me in good shape for the Friday's ride next week. :okay:

Gibbo9

Veteran
A long overdue update for any interested parties ^_^

I started the month really well getting out for a 50 on day one, unfortunately that was my lot for the next couple of weeks. A typhoon decided to hit Taiwan and we had torrential rain almost non stop. I did manage to get out a few times but sadly never enough time to complete a 50. The weather started to improve last weekend and I was fortunate enough to get out on Saturday for a nice gentle 100k, no plan at all for this ride I just went out and kept going until I was tired then headed home.

I was sat having coffee on Sunday morning with the missus and I casually mentioned to her that I was contemplating trying to do a 50 every day of last week. I don't know why I come up with such idiotic ideas but I am just stupid enough to at least try and see them through. So began a week of 50k rides. Nothing out of the ordinary, a few early starts and a few late night finishes trying to fit everything in around work. By Friday I was starting to feel a little jaded but was invited out by a mate for a Saturday roll down by the riverside. Plan was to do around 65k so me being me I decided to go for the 100.

I was up early (0245) to watch the England-Scotland game, I so wish I had stayed in bed. Anyway after some porridge and a banana I left the house at 0445 and went out for 35k before joining up with my mate. Once we got to the riverside he went off like a steam train and I was struggling to maintain pace with him, this went on for around 30k until we eventually had a brief stop to recharge bottles. After that we went at a much more sedate pace, sadly at the 80k mark my legs just went, I had nothing left and had to tell him to go on alone at his own pace. I did manage to continue but it was a real grind, a combination of very little sleep the previous 5 days cycling and the searing heat (36 degrees) really had knocked me out of sorts. I hadn't hydrated properly during the ride and I blame the wearing of a mask for that (obviously still my fault). Anyway at 95k I felt a lot better and managed to get home all ok.

Yesterday I took the missus out for what was going to be her maiden 50 but after 15k she was suffering really badly with the heat so we headed home to drop her off and I then went on to complete the 50 by myself.

All in all a very good week although I am feeling it now so I am having a few days off, maybe the odd 20k here or there. I set myself a 5000km goal for the year back in January and have now completed that before the end of June. This challenge really is the reason that is the case, it has really motivated me to get out and do some longer rides, so thanks for that.

Sorry for the long thread, I do hope everyone is well. A few pics below to bore you all 😊

View from one of the many bridges over the river
41.jpg

Same bridge but looking back into the city
42.jpg

Sunset
43.jpg

The city at night
44.jpg

Top Bottom