The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gibbo9

Veteran
June's update ,We have 29 riders fully posted up ,which leaves 4 rides undeclared but maybe late posters
Well done @LeetleGreyCells the first to post a ride for July ( and the first to post 2 rides ) who managed to beat @Gibbo to it despite @Gibbo time difference advantage
:laugh::laugh::laugh: In fairness I did wait for someone to post before I posted my own ride, I didn't want to use the unfair advantage this month :tongue:

Gibbo9

Veteran
Decided to get out of the city for the weekend and headed to probably my favourite place in Taiwan, Sun Moon Lake. I have always wanted to ride the road which circuits the lake entirely. I finally got my wish on Saturday, the loop itself is only 28km but I enjoyed it so much that I went round a second time. Second time round actually seemed a little easier, especially on the uphill sections.

I managed to stop off a few times to take some pictures to bore you all with 😊

View from the hotel balcony when we arrived. It really is good to see the lake full again, believe it or not it was almost bone dry 2 months ago.
45.jpg

View from the first hill on the ride, it was a particularly stunning day.
46.jpg

The small island in the foreground is the moon of Sun Moon Lake, the lake itself being the sun. The island is sacred ground for the indigenous aboriginal people so it is forbidden to set foot on it.
47.jpg

A perfect way to cool down following a good spin. Not a bad view either.
48.jpg

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
January
17th - 31.3 miles - 1 point:
Stinchcombe, Purton, Berkeley, Oldbury, Thornbury, Cromhall
February
6th - 32 miles - 1 point:
Kingswood, Hillesley, Horton, Iron Action, Latteridge, Rudgeway, Thornbury, Tytherington, Wickwar
March
7th - 32 miles - 1 point:
Tytherington, Itchington, Alveston, Thornbury, Berkely, Stinchcombe, Dursley, Stinchcombe, Damery
20th - 31.3 miles - 1 point: Damery, Stinchcombe, Cam, Slimbridge, Berkeley, Hill, Rockhampton, Stone, Damery
April
25th - 32 miles - 1 point
: Hawkesbury Upton, Badminton, Sherston, Norton, Foxley, Easton Grey, Wotton under Edge
May
9th - 35 miles - 1 point
Crosby Ravensworth, Orton, Sunbiggin Tarn, Appleby, Bolton, Morland, CR
12th - 33 miles - 1 point Tebay, Sedburgh, Ravenstonedale, Orton, Tebay
June
19th - 32 miles - 1 point
Stinchcombe, Cam, Slimbridge, Berkeley, Thornbury, Cromhall
July
7th - 31 miles - 1 point
Mungrisdale, Hesket Newmarket, Sebergham, Greystoke

Running total: 9 points
I'm hoping July ride was at least .07 of a mile more than 31 miles

C R

Guru
A 50 miler today, only my second ever, taking in three counties.

Nice and sunny most of the way, and no wind, but the legs weren't anywhere near as good as in the last two rides.

20210711_073644.jpg

20210711_075947.jpg

20210711_083525.jpg

A report in t'other place with more piccies once I've done the ironing and cleaned the bike.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
@Spinney Your word would have been enough ,but now I can stalk you on strava :ph34r:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Had a nice run out yesterday and hopped on the Knott End - Fleetwood ferry to come back over the river Wyre. Been trying to shift some weight by eating less and not sure if it was under fuelling or excessive sweating in the humid conditions but the last 10 miles or so were a struggle.

C R

Guru
@C R, i also went through those counties yesterday but also added Leicestershire on. I rode from Cheltenham back home. 101 miles at a slow speed but I did have luggage and a few stops!
It is a nice ride Cheltenham to Broadway and then on to Bidford. I haven't been beyond Bidford, though. Which route did you follow?

Gibbo9

Veteran
I have had a couple of weeks off the bike just to recharge. In fairness I think I may have been overdoing it and was getting bored with the same routes. Following a bit of thought I have decided to stop procrastinating and get on with doing some hill work over the coming months. Plenty of recovery rides (I do like to get on the bike every day if I can) with the odd day set aside for some jogging. Hopefully the gyms will reopen soon and I can get back to some core work, which I hate doing at home.

Out today for a ride a friend of mine recommended. I was up very early due to work so got out around 0520, fortunate really as half of the route was on a very busy road (coming back). An absolutely stunning ride though, I have never been out to Wulai before and some of the views were spectacular, I don't think the photos do it justice really. Feeling good after my break so looking forward to some more cycling.

Such a beautiful morning
46.jpg

Looking down the valley towards the reservoir
47.jpg

A typical riverside park. Usually buzzing this place first thing in the morning, it's when everyone comes out to exercise before it gets too warm. Quiet lately due to the obvious :sad:
48.jpg

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
So 2 rides in June made 7 points total, I have just popped in a July ride for 8!
A 45 mile ride, Bognor to Petworth, with an attempt (successful) of Houghton Hill, near Amberley.
I did stop, for a drink, and pictures, but got to the top without a walk!
View attachment 599207
A short ride report is in ‘Your ride today’ on this day, 15th July. (pg 1942]
8 points for my first go at this, not as many as some, but I’m happy to be able to make at least 1 ride a month count for something.
One a month is all you need ,Good going, don't worry about other people totals everyone approaches the challenge differently it's all about challenging yourself

Top Bottom