The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
July sorted with perhaps my S(c)illiest 50km to date. There are only 4km of (concrete) roads on Tresco so I added another 3km of rocky paths and did lots of loops. I did get some funny looks passing the same people time after a time.
tresco2.jpg
tresco1.jpg

Domus

Guru
Very hot few days up in Sunny Grange, managed two rides in-between painting duties. Glorious weather in Cumbria = fabulous views across Morecambe Bay and the hills all around. Speaking of hills, does the heat expand them upwards? Ride one which included a visit to Plumgarth near Kendal, for coffee and cake before heading south to Crooklands, had 1,000 metres of upness in 73 Kms
Ride two was a familiar circuit of Arnside and Silverdale still had 700 metres of elevation in 68 Kms but seemed a lot less.

Back home now, winter bike needs a look over before driving down to Kings Lynn for another Friday Night adventure.

Gibbo9

Veteran
I had a 100km ride planned for Saturday, something very different and a sojourn into the mountains for a change. I was up at 4am (for work no less) and, as is normal I put air into my tyres. Surprised to find that my rear tyre had less than 40psi in it as opposed to its usual 60. Knowing full well that I probably had a puncture I decided to head out anyway, hoping that maybe the sealant would work it's magic, it didn't. At the 21k point I was sufficiently concerned that I turned for home.

At the 33k point (about 1k form home) there is a riverside repair station so I managed to pump up the tyre which was down to 20 psi at this point (it was still rolling well though). I managed to knock off the required 17km and get home without any disasters, cursory check whejn home and the missus spotted the offending piece of metal almost immediately. I managed to remove it with a pair of tweezers but the sealant wouldn't fill the hole, in the end a new tyre was needed. All up and running now.

Offending piece of metal once it had been removed.
49.jpg

I had a 100km ride planned for Saturday, something very different and a sojourn into the mountains for a change. I was up at 4am (for work no less) and, as is normal I put air into my tyres. Surprised to find that my rear tyre had less than 40psi in it as opposed to its usual 60. Knowing full well that I probably had a puncture I decided to head out anyway, hoping that maybe the sealant would work it's magic, it didn't. At the 21k point I was sufficiently concerned that I turned for home.

At the 33k point (about 1k form home) there is a riverside repair station so I managed to pump up the tyre which was down to 20 psi at this point (it was still rolling well though). I managed to knock off the required 17km and get home without any disasters, cursory check whejn home and the missus spotted the offending piece of metal almost immediately. I managed to remove it with a pair of tweezers but the sealant wouldn't fill the hole, in the end a new tyre was needed. All up and running now.

Offending piece of metal once it had been removed.
View attachment 600057
Definitely worth getting yourself a Dynaplug or Stan's Dart etc. They'll sort a hole like that and prevent the need for a new tyre.

Willd

Veteran
hhhm, not sure why I tackled Edge Hill in 25 degrees, better than the forecast rain I guess :rolleyes: Steepest hill I've done so far, even managed to catch up with someone, but couldn't quite overtake. Definately need smaller / bigger cogs for anything steeper, 34/25 was hard work 👅 2 lovely downhill sections further on were ruined by the evil resurfacing demon :angry:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Monthly update time plenty of days but only 2 weekend days . With @Nomadski posting for June we have 32 riders fully posted for June ,only 1 rider yet to declare for June in @Fergs
July with have 24 riders fully posted up and 2 riders with rides done but yet to update the challenge thread .
So the nudge list is as follows @Milkfloat ,@fatjel ,@Jonjay ,@footloose crow ,@PatrickPending and @Chap sur le velo

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@13 rider I might break my 5 or is it 6 year run. I have been bed bound for a month now with a prolapsed disc that gives me very painful sciatica. The best I can manage in my feet is about 2 minutes. I had a steroid spinal injection and things are starting to feel a bit better, but I suspect riding a bike will be beyond me in July. Fingers crossed for a miracle.

footloose crow

Über Member
Monthly update time plenty of days but only 2 weekend days . With @Nomadski posting for June we have 32 riders fully posted for June ,only 1 rider yet to declare for June in @Fergs
July with have 24 riders fully posted up and 2 riders with rides done but yet to update the challenge thread .
So the nudge list is as follows @Milkfloat ,@fatjel ,@Jonjay ,@footloose crow ,@PatrickPending and @Chap sur le velo
I have done some 50k plus rides. Will write them up at end of month!

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
@13 rider I might break my 5 or is it 6 year run. I have been bed bound for a month now with a prolapsed disc that gives me very painful sciatica. The best I can manage in my feet is about 2 minutes. I had a steroid spinal injection and things are starting to feel a bit better, but I suspect riding a bike will be beyond me in July. Fingers crossed for a miracle.

Better to rest, look after yourself, and get back on the bike when your good and ready. Hope all goes well.

13 points carried forward

25th July - Chorlton, Cheadle Hulme, Monks Heath, Redemere, Broken Cross, Adlington, Hazel Grove, Stockport, Levenshulme - 46.31 miles - 1 point.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5686373475

Total - 14 points.

Last edited:

Gibbo9

Veteran
I managed to get out this morning following an enforced rest due to a typhoon hitting the island. It wasn't too bad as typhoons go but it did bring a lot of rain and wind which made riding almost impossible. Completely different this morning as it dawned beautifully and not a breath of wind about. very warm out though so just took my time trying to ease back into it.

Such a lovely morning.
50.jpg

Top Bottom