The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
With high winds forecast for my ride up in Grange I decided to catch the train to Barrow and ride back with hopefully a tailwind. Northern Fail have staff shortages so a reduced service in operation. The wind off the Irish Sea at Walney was bracing to say the least and riding along the causeway to Roa Island and back was rather exciting . :eek:
Back on route the wind was either cross or tail but mainly cross. However the highlight of the ride was my first ever full climb of Bigland WITHOUT a rest stop. My heart rate did peak at 187 at the top and I was going rather slowly but I made it :okay: 59 Kms and another point.

aferris2

Guru
August ride done. Reverse Chelmsford loop today which seems to be all up hill. Started off cloudy and I thought it might rain, but that cleared and the sun came out. Fairly quiet on the roads today which is unusual for a Sunday. Had someone latch onto my wheel for about a mile. Not sure why because he was much faster than me.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
August's done

106K Blaby -Countesthorpe - Wiloughby Waterleys - Ashby Magna - Dunton Bassett - Ashby Parva -Frolesworth -Claybrooke Magna - Monks Kirby - withybrook - Shilton - Binklow - Caithron - Easenhall- Pailton - Monks KIrby - back to Pailton - Monks Kirby - Coalpit lane back to MK - Claybrooke Parva -Ullesthorpe -Ashby Parva -Gilmorton - Walcote - Kimcote - Walton Bruntingthorpe- Peatling Parva - Peatling Magna - Arnesby - Peatling Magna -Countesthorpe - Blaby

Tried out my rear camera/light too so I wave it all on film....or sd disk. Fairly uneventful though ...weird looking at your route from the back, but should be useful should the need arise! Nice days ride.....

bruce1530

Guru
Got a ride in for August. Haven't been out for about 3 weeks - Work, weather and being-father-of-the-bride got in the way. :-)

But a 50k trip today - from home, headed to Kilwinning, Torranyard, Dunlop, stop for a coffee at the Dunlop Dairy farm shop - first time there, can recommend it - lots of other cyclists on the road and at the farm shop!

Back via Stewarton, with a diversion to avoid a road closure.

Gibbo9

Veteran
A very slow month for me here in Taiwan. Since the beginning of the month we have had 2 typhoons and 3 small earthquakes. Earthquakes aside the typhoons really put paid to me getting any out door cycling done, so much so that I decided to invest in a turbo trainer which arrives next week.

The weather finally cleared with a positive forecast last Friday, this allowed me to get out early Saturday morning for what was intended to be the first 50 of the month. However, as these things do, because I was enjoying myself I just kept going and got in a 100 to get the month off and running. Another 50 yesterday to get the week off to a good start, legs are feeling good so I am planning some hill work tomorrow, as long as this weather stays good.

I have managed to check through all your posts whilst I have been idle and some of them and the photos have kept me quite entertained.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
January: 3 rides, 4 points
February: 4 rides, 8 points
March: 5 rides, 8 points
April: 5 rides, 8 points
May: 6 rides, 11 points
June: 7 rides, 11 points
July: 4 rides, 6 points
1st August: 31.22 miles - Abandoned my planned 70+ miler when the rain that the forecasts said was meant to be a brief shower, turned out to be a downpour which would have continued for most of the rest of my ride - https://www.strava.com/activities/5721047078 - 1 point
10th August: 32.01 miles - Probably my final chance to get a midweek point as from next week I'll no longer be working from home. Route out to Haddenham with lots of meandering to achieve the required mileage - https://www.strava.com/activities/5770981627 - 1 point
15th August: 76.39 miles - The third attempt at doing my planned route out to Towcester and this time I completed it! No major climbs but very little flat either - https://www.strava.com/activities/5797998962 - 3 points
19th August: 33.49 miles - Rode a lap around Beauly Firth in the Inverness area as part of my prep for Etape Loch Ness on Sunday - https://www.strava.com/activities/5817941447 - 1 point

Total so far: 62 points
[/QUOTE]
I'm expecting your fastest 50km ,50m and 100km ,closed roads no excuses unless there's a massive headwind :okay: or a big hill :surrender:, By the way the year I did it we got one of those cream buns at the finish it didn't last long :mrpig:

steverob

Guru
I'm expecting your fastest 50km ,50m and 100km ,closed roads no excuses unless there's a massive headwind :okay: or a big hill :surrender:, By the way the year I did it we got one of those cream buns at the finish it didn't last long :mrpig:

Unfortunately due to Covid restrictions, there’s no Harry Gow Dream Rings (to give them their full title) at the finish line this year. You just go and pick up a goodie bag from a large pile which also contains your medal and then disperse as soon as possible.

However that hasn’t stopped me from tracking down a Harry Gow bakery on my ride yesterday and picking up a cake of my own (or two) to make up for it!

Last edited:

fatjel

Veteran
Did my regular route today and pleasantly surprised to find the road has been resurfaced
Turns out the Tour of Britain are riding the only flat road for miles around too.

Gibbo9

Veteran
Managed to get out at the weekend with a couple of friends. We completed a route I had done previously but added some extra km beyond the usual turning point. So pleased that we did as it meant we got to see the Wulai waterfall. After the obligatory photo stop we headed back the way we came via a very pleasant coffee shop. Lovely ride for a Saturday morning.

Obligatory waterfall selfie
52.jpg

Another one without my ugly mug.
51.jpg

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Monthly update time a few days to go and hopefully a 3 day weekend for most of us .
We have 25 riders fully posted up for August ,2 riders with rides done but yet to update the challenge thread in @AndreaJ ( who updates at the end of the month ) and @tallliman ( who's just tardy ) I will have words when we ride together on Sunday !! .So a short nudge list of just 3 so nudge nudge @cosmicbike ,@slow scot and @Houthakker

Domus

Guru
The Lotus 7 club have a new charity, we now support, Prostate Cancer Research. Due to the demographic of it's members it seems an obvious choice.
On average 150 men each day are diagnosed and so some groups are driving 150 miles spelling out the word Prostate by visiting towns and villages beginning with P through to E.

Our local group Lancashire and District, also do a bit of cycling so I proposed a ride instead.
Yesterday six of us rode 90 Kms (yes I know it's not 150)
from Prescot to Edenfield visiting, Rainford, Orrell, Tyldesdley, Ainsworth, Tottington and Edenfield. The ride included 884 metres of climbing and one member was extremely pleased after the longest ride he has done since his treatment for bladder cancer. :notworthy:
Up to now we have raised well over £500 with more to come.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I managed to bank another ride in this morning when my wife announced last night that she was having a lie in and a quiet morning this morning due to an exceptionally busy working week and a busy family day yesterday. I said she deserved it... and then got my kit ready for the today's club ride! A steady social ride with an obligatory coffee stop though I had nothing as I'd volunteered to guard the bikes while the rest went in and as the café was running on skeleton staff, they were taking a rather long time and I didn't want to join the inordinately long queue.

Top Bottom