The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Well thats me out I'm afraid. Sad after completing the last two years but have been busy every weekend this month and pinned my hopes of a 50k ride on the last few days which I had booked off. Unfortunately I spent all of that time digging out the lawn and shovelling new topsoil in (6 tonnes single handed) that I was knackered at the end of each day and too stiff in the mornings to contemplate a ride.
Never mind, I'll try to keep with the spirit of the challenge for the rest of this year and will be back in next year!
Good luck to everyone still in for the rest of this year.

footloose crow

Über Member
August review:

1/8. Castelnaud - Salviac - Castelnaud. (Lot region of France) 55k
5/8. Rocamadour and across the Causse de Quercy. (as above). 66k
7/8. Across the Causse de Quercy in a big, aimless circle (again...there are no settlements to mention, just open country). 65k
9/8. Limueil and Bugue from Castelnaud. 69k
10/8. Daglan cycle trail and then cross country on small lanes and empty countryside to caravan. 58k
11/8. Big circle along both banks of Dordogne. 78k
17/8. Truro- Padstow- Goss Moor - Truro. It is so crowded in Cornwall compared to France! 110k
22/8. Devon Delight audax. 109k
25/8. Truro- Marazion - Camborne -Pool - Redruth - Truro. 96k
29/8. Around Goss Moor from Truro. 61k

Going sailing now for three weeks so September could be tricky.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well thats me out I'm afraid. Sad after completing the last two years but have been busy every weekend this month and pinned my hopes of a 50k ride on the last few days which I had booked off. Unfortunately I spent all of that time digging out the lawn and shovelling new topsoil in (6 tonnes single handed) that I was knackered at the end of each day and too stiff in the mornings to contemplate a ride.
Never mind, I'll try to keep with the spirit of the challenge for the rest of this year and will be back in next year!
Good luck to everyone still in for the rest of this year.
Thats a shame but sometimes life gets in the way . Good job on moving 6 tonnes !!! :training:

AndreaJ

Veteran
I have officially started a new job today after being made redundant from my last job after 27 years due to my bosses ill health and Wednesday is my new day off, a 50km ride was a much needed distraction. I have updated the thread (late) with last months rides and even added todays! Bit disappointed that I wasn't first though!

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I have officially started a new job today after being made redundant from my last job after 27 years due to my bosses ill health and Wednesday is my new day off, a 50km ride was a much needed distraction. I have updated the thread (late) with last months rides and even added todays! Bit disappointed that I wasn't first though!
Congratulations on the new job!

Being made redundant when it's not your fault is not fun. Enjoy your new challenge.

AndreaJ

Veteran
@AndreaJ you were first in the UK ,@Gibbo9 does have a time difference advantage . Good luck with your new job
Thank you

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Got my September metric half in last night after bike bud being hot and cold all day. Will be over, won’t be over, getting in car, not coming..... :cursing:
I went last night as I was in an annoyed state and a bike ride is cheaper than bail money.

I had a marvellous ride and took the Genesis as I wasn’t really sure where I was going to go. I sort of made the route up as I went along. When I had passed Postwick, and on the DNR cycle path, I headed to Plumstead, then Blofield Heath on a whim. The joy of no bike bud right there.
I just kept riding straight over junctions as I knew where I was heading, even in the pitch dark. At Woodbastwick I took a quick shot of The Fur & Feathers pub sign, headed on to Rackheath instead of stopping there. Posher clientele at night and figured some scruffy cyclist would be horrific for their delicate sensibilities.
At Rackheath, I got back on the ‘pedalways’ route and carried on round, past Spixworth up the little cul-de-sac (for motor vehicles) having forgotten it’s a popular dogging spot - sped up a bit there and kept on at a bit of a pace. Was going to say ‘at a bit of a lick’ but didn’t want to give you all the wrong idea.
Took a wrong turn at St Faiths but it was fine as on roads that I know exceedingly well plus it missed out the spooky Scooby Doo woods. Easy ride back home and it was ace.

Unsure, at this time, about the 100km ride. Harder without a cycling buddy. One gets coffee the other stays with the bikes, easier for routing etc. I do find, after 18 months of living and working alone, that longer rides are better with other or others. I have lots more of September left to work something out. I do know that bike locks exist. I have several. It’s just nice to have company on a longer ride.

Last edited:

Willd

Veteran
Oxfordshire's definately more hilly :rolleyes:

1630865442871.png

Trip to visit my mum's grave at Great Tew :sad:

aferris2

Guru
A close repeat of Augusts ride for this month.
Waited for the mist to go and the sun to come out but was all coudy again before I wheeled the bike out. That was probably a good thing because it was quite warm enough without bright sunshine trying to heat it up further. Managed to reach the park in Chelmsford at lunchtime so lots of people out and about on foot. Lots of groups doing the "lets go out for a group walk to play with our phones". It is amusing to watch them narrowly avoiding bollards whcih are scattered around the paths.
One amusing close pass. Oncoming car had to pull right over and stop while Mr "I own the road" came past. He got suitable hand gestures and beeps from the car who stopped, and the car behind him. I just shrugged my shoulders.

Top Bottom