The 2021 Half Century (50km or 50m) a month challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
April's done. Got out on Saturday - silly me forgot to eat breakfast so did it all fueled on 2 bananas and 750ml of water. 101Km Blaby - Wiloughby Waterlys - Gilmorton - South Kilworth - Stanford on Avon - Guilsborough - Nasenby - Creaton - Brixton - Cottesbroke - Hasslebech - Sibbertoft - Marston Trussel - Theddingworth - Mosely (via a nice climb after the bridge on the road past the old station) - Saddington - Arnesby - Countesthorpe - Blaby

Ran into a pothole at the 97K mark (just south of Countesthorpe) resulting in my first flat in ages. Fortunately I carry 3 spare tubes so didn't take long to get back on the road. Hard work, tiring but a nice ride.

Early monthly round up ,plenty of days but just weekend to go . We have 25 riders fully posted up ,2 riders with rides done but yet to update the challenge thread . So a quick nudge for @Spinney ,@Sbudge ,@Rob and Alison ,@fatjel ,@Fergs and @PatrickPending . The sharp-eyed of you may notice @slow scot is missing of the list because @slow scot has done everything correct this month so there is no need to mention @slow scot so I did not mention @slow scot in the list
All caught up, been riding quite a few longer rides recently. Ironically because the Slate is currently poorly which I usually use for shorter forest trail rides. The Slate should be back and about 1kg lighter within a couple of weeks and then the fun can really start!

Domus

Guru
Blooming chilly wind this morning :cold:. Tried a new café for coffee and flapjack, The Tea Room in Wheelton as recommended by son in law, however he forgot to tell me it was at the bottom of a hill. Still very good coffee and made a change from Frederick's. Got very cold on the downhills then boiled on the up hills so on average I was comfortable :wacko: 60 .1 Kms done and 774metres of upness. In for May :okay:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Wanted to get a ride done today, unfortunately mum’s taxi was needed and my sister and family who I have only seen once in over a year wanted to visit. Worked out if I did it in 2 hours I could fit it in. Worked out a flat route and managed 51.7km in 2 hours 1 minute!

Gibbo9

Veteran
Managed a couple of rides over the last few days and finally got May done yesterday (would have been Saturday but my good lady dragged me to the beach for the day).

I am hoping for a good month this month with a lot of qualifying rides 2-3 a week at least. That very much depends on the weather though with both the rainy and Typhoon season almost upon us.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Today I was out of the house for over 4.5 hours to complete a 50km ride ! . Out the door at 9.30 for an hour's ride to Mum's care home ,An hours visit then 15 minutes to a local cafe to meet Sisters to discuss Mum's health . A long 2 coffee stop . Back on the bike to knock off the last 15 miles ,home just after 2 with 32.59 miles in the bag
Was disappointed yesterday to see a fellow halfer post a ride of 30.94 miles on Strava !! . Apparently there was a bit of snow on some hill near Sheffield and it was cold . But it's England in May surely its not going to snow .Anyway @Noodle Legs secret is safe with me

Gibbo9

Veteran
Been a while since I've written a ride report and bored you lovely lot with some photos. Sunday dawned beautifully here in Taipei, I'd set my alarm for 0530 in anticipation of getting out for a good ride and the weather didn't disappoint. Lovely clear skies and not a breath of wind (very warm though). I was out at 0630 and have finally convinced myself it's time to start some hill work. Along the river for the first 10k just to warm the legs up then onto a hilly section. Felt really good going up and the descent was probably my best on the new bike, learning to trust it more and more when whizzing downhill. The rest of the ride was spent chasing young whippets along the river bank, a real sense of satisfaction when I ghost in behind them and settle in for a few kms of draughting ^_^

Lots of people out and somehow managed to get myself in the middle of some sort of running race for a 5k section, made for good viewing. All in all it made for a really good ride, Surprised myself a little on how easy the hills felt so more of that to come for sure. I'm very satisfied with the way my endurance is now coming along, I can comfortably complete a 100k ride without eating before or during, just sustaining on hydro tabs and water. Obviously it's a different story after^_^

Really enjoying this challenge so far. I'd set myself a goal of 50 points for the year so to have achieved that thus far is really pleasing. Definitely hoping to top 100 for the year now and would push for 150 if the rainy season holds off. Something to aim for anyway.

View from the top. Was a glorious morning.
28.jpg

Reverse view
29.jpg

There is a huge dragon boat festival every year (August). Lots of people out training for it already.
30.jpg

aferris2

Guru
Nice hot sunny day. I'm on holiday. Time for a ride!
Followed the Viking Way all the way to Margate. This route is about as flat as you can get it. Only one climb ramp just past Herne Bay, then a gentle slope down to Reculver Castle. Flat again all the way to Margate. Klimat says there was a SE wind but it was definitely SW, so a bit more work to do on the return journey.
Saw several "different" bikes today. One 2-stroke powered bike complete with drinks bottle for the fuel tank, then a tandem trike being ridden by a fairly elderly couple. Very nice looking machine and much wider than I would have imagined.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Got my May ride in on Sunday

67K Blaby -Countesthorpe - Wiloughby Waterleys - Ashby Magna - Dunton Bassett - Ashby Parva -Frolesworth -Claybrooke Magna - Monks Kirby - pailton - Claybrooke Parva -Ullesthorpe -Ashby Parva -Gilmorton - - Peatling Parva - Peatling Magna - Arnesby - Peatling Magna -Countesthorpe - Blaby

Found it ok but certainly felt the effects of the previous days 14km run - pulled a calf muscle but didn't seem to affect cycling so good to get out. Hope to do more later in the month but that's the 50 done.

Top Bottom