The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
How do I join? And how do I register etc for the points?
All new to me and not au fait with how they work
You just post your rides in the challenge thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-2022-half-century-50km-or-50m-a-month-challenge.282317

After the first one, for each further ride you should copy your previous post, and add the new one to it. Apparently you can count as many as you like in each month, but to complete the challenge, you must do at least one in each month of the year.

How do I join? And how do I register etc for the points?
All new to me and not au fait with how they work
If you go to the actual challenge page (name similar to this one but without the ‘chat zone’ on the end) and start from the very first post the rules of the challenge are there.

But in a nutshell you aim to do at least one 50km (31.07 miles) ride per calendar month. That would earn you a point. Good luck!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Welcome @FrothNinja . As stated just post in the challenge thread ,It's all done on trust just keep a tally if you want to of your points ,it's not a completion
Your post in the challenge thread is very detailed, just a brief description and distance will suffice have a look at other posts in the thread you will get the idea
Good luck

kapelmuur

Veteran
I’m thinking of making a comeback after a 2 year absence. Since my accident I’ve been very cautious about riding outside when there’s a possibility of slippery roads and have been riding on my turbo during the last 2 winters.

However, the mild weather earlier this month tempted me out ( shorts and jersey in January!) and I thought I had a qualifying ride until a recalculation showed I was a kilometre short.

Maybe I’ll have another go if it ever stops raining!

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I thought I had a qualifying ride until a recalculation showed I was a kilometre short.
A kilometre!? A kilometre!? Don't you know how harsh @13 rider can be with slackers? You could have scooted down the road and back, one foot on a pedal and in your pyjamas, and we'd all have been happy with the point claimed. (Except, perhaps for the image in our head ... :whistle: )
Glad you're well enough to be considering it again - the confidence will return. :okay:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Ah, my ambitious (for me) target of a 50 point year may be crumbling even before I've got properly started. :cry: The hard-pushing ride I did the other day, so close to the first, appears to have exposed a possible cleat misalignment which has resulted in a calf strain at the point it joins my leg behind the knee. I've adjusted the cleat and went for an experimental ride today of about 6 miles, but any longer rides appear out of the question in the immediate future, and my initial weekly average will have to be binned. But hope springs eternal and the sun was nice. Here's a picture of Orwell Park School and its observatory.
P1020108.JPG

Osprey

Guru
With yesterdays 50mph winds calmed to a manageable 17mph, chance to get out on the bike though it was freezing. Thought about maybe just a 30km ride but stuck it out for the 50km and that 1 point. Really enjoyed the ride and pleased with the motivation and inspiration of this challenge.

January’s Fondo done and 3 more points in the bag for the month with a metric ton loop taking in Tamworth, and Nuneaton and some lovely little villages inbetween straddling Staffordshire/Warwickshire. Steady paced, not too hilly and not too icy, my calories were way under what they should’ve been for a ride like this and it showed as I came close to bonking. Enjoyable no less!

(Copying to ‘Your Ride Today’ thread)

https://strava.app.link/DKPPmGlnGmb
1641749604306.png

Gibbo9

Veteran
Been a bit of a slow week or so, mainly due to illness and weather. Hopefully coming into a dry spell here in Taipei and an opportunity to rack up some distance.

I did manage to get away last weekend to Sun Moon Lake and Saturday was an absolutely beautiful day for cycling round the lake. I did the first lap on my own then collected the girlfriend for the second lap, her being on a hired electric bike. Very enjoyable ride indeed, althoughthe legs were very heavy at the end.

I suppose you could get worse views from the coffee shop 😊
61.jpg

It really was a beautiful day
63.jpg

Second lap was around dusk which enabled us to see the sunset
64.jpg

Bike has had a makeover. My actual wheels have had to be sent away as there is water in the rims, they have to be drilled out apparently (2 weeks). The bike shop has loaned me these until mine come back, I do not like the look of them at all.
65.jpg

Domus

Guru
Managed a 64 Km effort today, over 800 metres of climbing in very fine drizzle and with a strong head/cross wind climbing from Burnley to Deeerplay. The café stop in Weir was very well deserved. Got very cold on the long descent into Bacup so ignored the loop into Rochdale and headed home via Rawtenstall.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hi @Alex321 ,the minimum required to complete the challenge is 1 50km ride a month ,50m is just an optional extra as you get fitter .Some people challenge themselves to do both distance once a month but this is optional as your just challenging yourself .
There is a point based tally 1 point or 50km and 2 for 50m etc but it's not a competition the idea is complete the first year then you have points total to beat for some extra motivation works for some , others just ride and don't count points it's up to you
Throw your hat in the ring and I'm sure you will enjoy it . We are a friendly bunch mainly
how does the point accumulation work within a month, if you've done one 50Km do you get a further point for a 2nd 50km ride later in the month; or once you've ticked off 50km is it then just 50m or 100km etc that will score your next points?

Alex321

Veteran
how does the point accumulation work within a month, if you've done one 50Km do you get a further point for a 2nd 50km ride later in the month; or once you've ticked off 50km is it then just 50m or 100km etc that will score your next points?
AIUI, you get 1 or 2 points for each and every ride of 50 Km or 50 miles respectively you do.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I’m finally up and running in this year’s Challenge.

A variation of my Gaël, Trémorel, Illifaut loop today – after Gaël, I went through Loscouët-sur-Meu and joined the V6 Voie Verte near la Ville Amand. A damp and gritty surface – probably not great for the drive train, but I didn’t have any problems on the road bike. I followed the V6 into Trémorel then came home via Lancras, Illifaut and la Ville Jallu.

A gloomy and occasionally drizzly 62km – but at least it wasn’t cold.

Here are a couple of photos of the V6 Voie Verte between la Ville Amand and Trémorel.

Top Bottom