The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
how does the point accumulation work within a month, if you've done one 50Km do you get a further point for a 2nd 50km ride later in the month; or once you've ticked off 50km is it then just 50m or 100km etc that will score your next points?
The points is a running total for the year . 1 point per 50km ride ,2 points for 50 miles 3 points for a 100km etc you don't have to do them in any order so you could do 3 50km rides 3 points then a 100km ride for another 3 points making your total 6
The points is just another motivation that some of us use to keep trying to beat last year's total or set a target of say 50 points in a year . Some people don't even bother with the points .You make the challenge to suit you to some degree you can just do 12 rides 1 per month and that's enough to complete if you feel you need a bit of an extra challenge that's were the points come in

Last edited:

dickyknees

Guru
Finally.
The incessant wind has abated and the sun came out! Missed the 50kms yesterday by a big margin so had another go today. Success.

Domus

Guru
Another ride out today, a chilly 4˚C when I left home but with little or no wind it was a lovely day to be out. Through Egerton to Belmont then Abbey Village and Brinscall. Quick beans on toast in Wheelton then Chorley, Rivington, Horwich and back home through Bolton.
Stopped on the climb out of Horwich to take a picture of the Winter Hill mast and the lovely reflections on the fishing pond.

bruce1530

Guru
Got my first ride of the year in this morning.
Had a route planned, but didn't follow much of it. After about 10k, was passing a farm where a friend lives - she was walking dog, so stopped for a chat for 10 mins.
Past Kilwinning, into the suburbs of Irvine. Garmin was taking me via a different route from the one I'd usually take, followed it anyway.

Ended up in Dreghorn. There's a footbridge over the dual carriageway that I've seen, wondered where it goes to. Eventually found it, crossed the bridge, discovered it goes nowhere except to a muddy track (it's a disused industrial site - was one access to the factory) so back across.

Stopped at a coffee place in an industrial estate. Heard a car horn tooting when I was in the queue - it was daughter and her family, taking kids to nearby playpark. So got coffees and bacon rolls for them :-)

By that time it was raining. I had still only done 25k, but headed homewards. When I arrived at the town, 40k on the clock, 2k from home, I turned left and did a loop around the town - a disused industrial site, then along the shore front at Stevenson/saltcoats/ardrossan, looping back home for a slow 51k.

Alex321

Veteran
2nd point of the year, with my longest ride to date on Strava, 41.19 miles at 17.5 mph. Considered extending it to 50 miles but wanted to be home for lunch, and TBH my legs were starting to feel it a bit.

AA pleasant ride around the coast then inland clockwise. Hardly any wind and an average temp of about 7C meant pretty well ideal cycling weather for this time of year, and there were quite a few other cyclists out.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
The fun begins again. Needless to say I had this challenge in the back of my mind as I thought what shall I do with free day tomorrow? Long boozy lunch with Madame Chap or 4 hours in "Feels like -1" around Richmond Park. Easy....

I've entered the Hell of Ashdown Forrest end of Feb which is100kms. Did that a few times last year so my leetle grey sells is just finking...
Will certainly commit to 50kms and 50 miles per month. Aim to do a few Friday Night Rides and a few special places in GB. Looking forward to the coming year my second as a "proper" rider.

PS I've noticed I'm not the only London entrant in the challenges. If others are interested I'd be happy to coordinate a social tour of London Parks one weekend for participants when its warmer. Minimum 50/80/100/160km circuit TBA, with appointed meet times and folk can join and leave at different stations.

If you think this is a good idea and you'd be interested in joining in, please reply on here and I'll start a new thread to catch those in other challenges.

aferris2

Guru
And we're off at last. Having decided I would relax on new years day I've been waiting for the weather to get warm enough to tempt me outside. The day started off sunny but had clouded over by the time I had got myself ready. About halfway it started to drizzle so the weather definitely wasn't going the way I wanted. Going up the hill out of Chelmsford it felt really wintery. By the turn round point though, the sun came out and tried to make me think it was warming. It wasn't.
This cold weather really kills the battery in my Garmon so I had to stop to plug it in to the power pack. I didn't notice until I got back home, but a bird had left a rather large present in my top tube bag where the power pack lives. It missed the power pack but hit the lenses of my glasses full on. Not being able to see ... (you can guess the rest)
I must be getting faster :laugh: only overtaken by one other rider (who had electric power).
Trying to change the descriptions of the rides this year. I'm going to list the small places instead of the larger towns and villages. The theme of this ride seems to be "Green".

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I’m thinking of making a comeback after a 2 year absence. Since my accident I’ve been very cautious about riding outside when there’s a possibility of slippery roads and have been riding on my turbo during the last 2 winters.

However, the mild weather earlier this month tempted me out ( shorts and jersey in January!) and I thought I had a qualifying ride until a recalculation showed I was a kilometre short.

Maybe I’ll have another go if it ever stops raining!
So now you have officially entered let's discuss your 49km ride earlier in the year :laugh: . Don't let it happen again
Also I have noted @tallliman has done an outdoor 50km ride so I'm counting him in he may update the threads some time in June !

C R

Guru
Enjoyable early morning ride, if a bit nippy. Sunrise is noticeably earlier already, though today it was grey, so no nice colours for pictures.

There rear derailleur cable snapped about eight miles from home, so adjusted the top limit to a reasonable gear and rode two speed the rest of the trip. I think the mechanism is jammed with the end of the cable, so some tricky fettling will be required :scratch:.

Top Bottom