The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I got out today. It was a smidge windy. I rode down a hill, pedalling furiously away, at about 12mph and slowing down as I rode into the wind. Bit galling to expend that much effort riding down a hill. Or slight slope as hill purists would classify the things that we have in Norfolk.
I missed a turning somewhere, on the way to Loddon, or took an additional one. 629791
When they say ‘road closed’ they don’t normally really mean it, do they? This was closed. I was carrying the bike over a verge, pushing along the side of a field and then down a bank, over some roadworks and over a contraflow system. I sat on the bike, on the pavement, and waited for a decent space to join the traffic when it flowed in the correct direction, on th A146.
I Stopped for cake at Rosy Lees tearoom.

Best Pecan & Maple flapjack ever. Chatted about bikes, while supping coffee then headed back out into the wind and headed home. No idea why I decided to rattle my fillings by going up past Whitlingham sewerage works, but I did.
Was happy to be home and warm-ish. Fuelled by flapjack.
If anyone is in the Loddon area, on a ride, it’s highly recommended. I have been meaning to go for ages but lockdown or evening rides were unhelpful.
Great ride. I loved it and getting used to solo rides again now. I might see if any of the Aviva lot can ride as slowly as I do :smile:

AndreaJ

Veteran
An unplanned 50km today, got home having done just over 49km, knowing that this would upset @13rider I carried on to the end of the lane and back to make it 50.8 km😊

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
An unplanned 50km today, got home having done just over 49km, knowing that this would upset @13rider I carried on to the end of the lane and back to make it 50.8 km😊
I had noticed you only rode 45 miles at the weekend but I let that slide as it was a tough weather day which included some Welsh hills and on the same day I wimped out of a 50km ride and only did 23 miles but 49 km would have tipped my cycling OCD over the edge . Thanks for doing the bit extra and not upsetting me :okay:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Just realised I've done Feb for this challenge. New social club in our village and I thought I couldn't go on the monthly ride as I was supposed to be doing a Welsh audax but had been ill in the week. The ride was about 45km but with ride to from the start (a whole 2km :laugh::laugh:) and a detour back to the café as nobody else followed 2 of us out as someone had a puncture, meant I scraped over 50. The thought of upsetting @13rider again :whistle::whistle: Lovely ride.

Last edited:
Four points bagged today with an epic slog up to see the granddaughter in Clay Cross just outside Chesterfield. Using the quiet lanes and paths getting to and through Derby itself, it was lumpy as anything once I got north of the city walls which is typical of Derbyshire! As is also typical with this stunning county, the views never disappoint and it makes all the climbing, huffing puffing and sweating all the more worthwhile! No cake stop today but the sight of my four month old granddaughter as she had discovered her voice (in between chewing her fingers) telling me a story was sweet enough!

Moving on from my little love fest, I figured in my route planning that I would pull in a couple of nearby Midlands climbs whilst out that way- namely Carr Lane and Hardwick Hall. These both came within 10 miles of my granddaughter’s place and although challenging, they were not the most brutal nor the most memorable. On from there, it was another 30-35 miles of constant up and down as I passed through South Normanton, Codnor, Heanor and the pleasant Shipley Country Park, the terrain not really levelling up until I got back down to Shardlow just east of Derby. The fatigue was kicking in and I was silently berating my performance only to then discover at the end of my ride that I’d done 101 miles and over 6,000 feet of climbing. No wonder I was pooped!

A great ride out.

**EDIT** Timelapse video now attached. I accidentally left my camera on between clips which quickly drained my second battery and as such I have only got part of the ride in!

View: https://youtu.be/A3urCq8c4cM

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another ride done complete with another puncture 😢, brand new tyres which were supposed to be fairly puncture proof! They lasted just over 30 miles of Shropshire lanes before admitting defeat. Luckily it was slowly deflating and I was nearly home so sorted it in the warm and dry, it was a very big thorn causing the problem.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Please forgive me fellow halfers I just riden 50km on my turbo !!!!! in my spare room . Don't panic I won't be counting it and won't be changing the rules but the weather is awful here and is don't rain in watopia

Slick

Guru
Please forgive me fellow halfers I just riden 50km on my turbo !!!!! in my spare room . Don't panic I won't be counting it and won't be changing the rules but the weather is awful here and is don't rain in watopia
You know, I was just thinking that but I honestly just can't face going out and battling with that wind. Next weekend may be the last opportunity.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I'm certainly one who is hoping for non-terrible weather next weekend as I haven't done my February 50km yet. Have done a 100km ride, but that's been entered into one of the other challenges, so I can't count that here except for points purposes.
There is nothing in the rules to stop you cross posting , but I feel in slightly against thee ethos of the challenges and I post separate rides for each . My weather app has next Sunday as ok(ISH)

Top Bottom