The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Enjoyable early morning ride, if a bit nippy. Sunrise is noticeably earlier already, though today it was grey, so no nice colours for pictures.

There rear derailleur cable snapped about eight miles from home, so adjusted the top limit to a reasonable gear and rode two speed the rest of the trip. I think the mechanism is jammed with the end of the cable, so some tricky fettling will be required :scratch:.
+1 for the roadside hack! Hopefully it’s an easy fix 🤞

C R

Guru
+1 for the roadside hack! Hopefully it’s an easy fix 🤞
I hope so, I didn't get a chance to have a look at it today, it will be tomorrow lunchtime's fettling. I had meant to change the cables during the Christmas break, but never got round to it :blink:.

Gibbo9

Veteran
First time out for almost 2 weeks due to weather. Was lovely out today though and the riverside was very quiet indeed.

I can only assume this is the riverside Brass Band
69.jpg

Domus

Guru
First ride of the year in Grange last Friday, took the bike up in the new year but my cold and the foul weather prevented a ride. it started off cold at 2˚C then dropped to 0˚C at Witherslack I had to resort to wearing my nitrile gloves under my liners and winter gloves. The climb up to Silverdale from Arnside warmed me up a little and by the time I got back to Sunny Grange it was a balmy 7˚C. The disc brakes on this winter bike really give me more confidence on the descents. Another point in the bag. :okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I feel a bit lost its coming up to the last weekend of the month and I can't really do a nudge list but I can remind the only 2 finishers of last year's challenge yet to post a ride ,there's time yet for @Eribiste and @Nomadski to enter this year's ,I feel better now
Anyway we have 39 entrants so far a good mix of new faces ,returning faces and the same faces . Good luck to everyone

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Is 39 a record?
The way my injured calf is playing up, I'll probably be lucky if that's my points total! ^_^

Alex321

Veteran
Got out for my 3rd 50K of the year today. Windy, but not too bad down here in South Wales, and it eased off a bit later in the ride.

Set off on the same route I commute, as I needed to call in Tredz in Cardiff for a new Derailleur hanger they had ordered in for me. They are about 10 minutes ride from the office, but I've been working from home since before Christmas, so couldn't get in during the week.

On the way home, decided to try a different route from Peterstone, then missed a turn, so ended up in Groesfaen instead of Clawdd Coch. Never mind, added a mile or two to the distance, so I didn't need to add any convolutions near home to make up the 50K :whistle:

Also got over 600m elevation, so only need another 300 now for the regular Strava 7500m/month challenge, with 2 days left.

The way my injured calf is playing up, I'll probably be lucky if that's my points total! ^_^

I'll be quite surprised if I total that much, although I've started quite well with 3 points in January.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm back. Completed in 2018 and 2019. Counting separately from Imperial Century. As I haven't done a separate 100km this month I'm not in that challenge.

Last weekend was a nice 52km loop out to Clevedon, and a new café about 2 miles from home, not very ethical but we did ride 46km before the café stop.

Wasn't even thinking on the 9th January when I went out and clocked 48.95km :wacko:

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Forgive my forgetfulness but I can't remember how to add the stars to my signature line. Could I have a reminder please?
It can be a bit tricky so you need the help of the star fairy ,calling @Pat "5mph" . Could you please amend @Eribiste Signature so it reads 4 stars then ,2016,18,19,21 half century challenge ,many thanks
My apologies I only had you down as completing 3 years but checked my records and 4 it is :okay:

Last edited:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Forgive my forgetfulness but I can't remember how to add the stars to my signature line. Could I have a reminder please?
I took my stars off as I couldn't fit Eddington in as well (covid in Nov 20 put paid to 2020 and starting 2021) Can it be done please? @Pat "5mph"

I did 50km challenge in 2018, 2019
100km in 2019
Imperial in 2019
Lunacy 2019 200km aim 204km actual

Top Bottom