The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well, I got my August ride in nice and early. And it was a very enjoyable one. Wish I'd taken some photos!

I've been struggling a bit recently, post-covid. 4 months later, average speeds and ride lengths are still down - and hills have been killers....

Today, I went back to a route which used to be one of my regulars, but I hadn't done it at all this year.

First stage was the easy bit - and a section I do regularly. From home, straight along the coast road (A78) to Largs.

There's a reasonable cycle path for most of the out-of-town sections, but normally I just stick on the road unless the traffic is particularly bad. But the cycle path between Ardrossan and Seamill has recently been widened and resurfaced, and the "chicane" barriers have been removed and replaced with wide-spaced bollards - so it's a much better ride. Thought I'd try it today. Still a pain if lots of dogwalkers or runners, but today it was quiet. And (despite my initial worry when I saw it being widened) there were no parked cars on it - they are using the grass between the cycle path and road.

On through Seamill, and followed the main road to Fairlie, then Largs. Other than a couple of short hills, it's mostly a flat route.

20km from my house to the ferry terminal at Largs.

Through Largs, then turned inland and up the Brisbane Glen road.

Once you leave the town, it's uphill. Single track farm roads at first, past a few caravan parks and reservoirs, and before you know it, you're in the moorland. Sheep, cattle grids, still going uphill.

Very warm and humid now, although rain threatening. Long sleeved jacket came off and stuffed into pocket.

From Largs, the road climbs about 300m over 10km. Then you're over the top, and downhill to Loch Thom. It's up above Greenock and Gourock, still about 180m above sea level. Turn left at the lochs and follow the road until you reach the visitor centre.

The visitor centre is great if you need to use the toilets - I don't think any of the other facilities are open.
Push on for another 100 yards until you come to the Ardgowan trout fishery, which has a great wee cafe. Friendly people, good food and coffee, and very cheap.
Espresso £1, Bacon roll £2. Menu didn't seem as extensive as last time I was there, but it had all the essentials. Coffee, bacon rolls, soup, cakes.

That's 36k in total so far. Turn back and home via roughly the same route. Great descent back down to Largs, 73km in total.

View attachment 656073

Glad I'm not the only one who has struggles after having covid. October last year for me and it's been a real struggle to get my fitness back, it' only the last 6 weeks or so I have felt better on the bike...

Today was my annual “Seaside Ride” and instead of just riding to Skegness and tweaking the route each year as is normally the case I planned (and rode) a new route that took me to Mablethorpe and then to SkegVegas down a scenic coastal road via Chapel St Leonards and Ingoldmells (Butlin’s.) I knew I would be close to the 200km mark once I got to Skegness station so with an hour before the train left I cracked on down to a nearby nature reserve at Gibraltar Point to get me the required distance to get over the line and bag 5 points on a perfect day for riding!

Whoever said Lincolnshire was flat has obviously never ridden through the wolds- I even bagged a midlands climb at Tetford for my trouble!

Cracking day out. 👍👍

Domus

Guru
Off to Bristol tomorrow for the Balloon Fiesta, so missing out on the York to Hull Friday Night Ride. So out early this morning before the heat got too much. The cooling breeze while riding is very welcome but stopping at junctions and lights really lets you know just how hot it is. :wacko:
Got to Frederick's at 09.00 just as they were opening for coffee, tea cake and a bottle refill with 36 Kms on the clock. Back home at 10.45 and already 27°C, 59.4 Kms and another point.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A weekend away in Wiltshire whilst my lad was at 622 VGS, so I ambled along the Kennet & Avon canal from Devises to Bradford-Upon-Avon. The original plan to go to Bath on the same towpath was shelved as my arms, wrists and backside couldn't deal with the constant pounding. Still, got back to the van with 62.3 miles on the clock, first metric century for ages and lifted my imperial Eddington by 1.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Spent the weekend on a friends farm in the Southern Uplands and we went out for a decent ride yesterday. The ride from Elvanfoot back was against a naughty headwind. A quite knackering 56 miles in the end. Not sure a CX is the right sort of bike for that sort of ride, but I more or less kept up with the electric bikes

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Weekends away and days out of got in the way of august miles, I'm relieved I posted one 50km ride earlier in the month, could be lower points month since with early winter months:ohmy:.

I did get out for a midweek evening, but the pub, rather than more miles to make it 50km won the day:laugh:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Off to Bristol tomorrow for the Balloon Fiesta, so missing out on the York to Hull Friday Night Ride. So out early this morning before the heat got too much. The cooling breeze while riding is very welcome but stopping at junctions and lights really lets you know just how hot it is. :wacko:
Got to Frederick's at 09.00 just as they were opening for coffee, tea cake and a bottle refill with 36 Kms on the clock. Back home at 10.45 and already 27°C, 59.4 Kms and another point.

On my doorstep! Was at the Sat am launch and Night glow that night. was exhausting as walked in both times never mind the heat!

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Weekend away in Warwickshire so two nice rides in the Vale of Evesham and to Stratford. First one even scraped 1/2km over to 50 miles. Mixing my distance units! Sunday we set off to Stratford from the van. Had a hard time crossing a main road but there were several marshals hanging about who started to get their flags out. Presumed a sportive but turned out it was a road race and we got sucked up and spat out the back of the peloton. Quite an experience as after the cars/ambulance/motorbike/riders had gone past there were the tail end Charlies zipping past us we kept thinking we were safe again and another..... Bit of a wander in Stratford and cream tea in a 1940s themed café.

Top Bottom