The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I may have to close to challenge to new entries as @UphillSlowly as filled the memory on my low tech paper tick list 😆 not sure I can source additional storage ie a new sheet of paper

Chap sur le velo

Über Member

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
'Fancy a ride?' my mate asked.
I enjoyed the first 2/3rds.
Though I have spoken to him about this, my mate feels compelled to half-wheel and will also frequently ease away in front, only to pause and wait (and thus have a nice micro-break for himself).:sad:
Two pics. One at Shingle Street and the other of the burger I immediately made on my return. ^_^

Shingle Street 29.5.23 2.jpg

Burger.jpg

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
After a weekend of sporting disappointments G losing the Giro 😪 tempered by Cav winning the final stage 🥳 and (the less than mighty ) Leicester City being relegated from the premier League 😪 tempered by a fellow Leicester Cc'er premier league team league also being with L coming down with us ( I will let you guess who that is ) otherwise a rides together would have been torture for me . I needed a ride to cheer up . Just went out and did my standard Wymeswold 50km loop . I felt under dressed this morning as I went full summer gear but the wind had a bit of chill to it and the sun didn't come out until after I got home . Continued my record of every 50km ride this month being done in under 2 hour ( around 1.56 to 1.59 )🚴 the winter of pushing myself on zwift is now paying me back .
Any football season over now the cricket starts oh Leicestershire are rubbish at that as well😟

Last edited:
A whistle stop tour to see friends in Dorset gave rise to a Bank Holiday spin in the local countryside. Set off at 8am to get most of it done before the heat of the sun kicked in, it was a tad blowy although we were largely sheltered save for a few minutes midway through.

The pace was pretty good going if a little on the high side however the climbing I found especially difficult, HR notably not dropping below 150 for the entirety of the ride. Initially I put this down to general lack of fitness as due to personal issues I’ve not ridden as much as I would have liked, combining this with increased alcohol and junk food consumption the inevitable result is a significant weight gain! However any attempts to put power through the pedals began to be met with severe cramps and then it all began to make sense- I was massively dehydrated and it showed!

On the subject of excessive alcohol consumption I’d been drinking all day yesterday at a barbecue and the combination of this and the heat of the sun obviously wiped me out more than I realised. With 5 miles to go after a largely rolling route, it flattened out however I was just soft pedalling because I had nothing else to give. The drinks I had during the ride were clearly in vain- the damage was done and as the morning wore on, the heat rose and thus sweated more and more! Arriving back at my friend’s village there was a steep little kicker which I had to stop on because the cramp had pretty much disabled me, to the point where I couldn’t get off the bike and had to literally crouch down to relieve the symptoms!

A harsh lesson learned, and a reality check on my current fitness for sure today, however it was good to just ride again and strangely enjoyable nevertheless!

55.6 in 3:27.

bluenotebob

Veteran
May summary

8 qualifying rides completed in May – 10 points added

Total points: 33

33 points by the end of May is my best yet.

1343km cycled in May – only the third time that I’ve exceeded 1300km in a calendar month – I’m pleased with that. That works out as a daily average of just over 43km per day in May so perhaps I should have added more than 10 points… but constant toothache, sleeplessness, an intermittent thigh strain, hay fever – and that damned NE wind meant mostly shortish rides every day rather than long ones.

5151km for the year to date … around 1100km ahead of target.

I also managed to keep up my record of cycling every day this year (151 days cycled/151 days).

June done ✅

Met up with the boys from Nuneaton for a steady Sunday social up to Jade’s tearoom on the outskirts of Bradgate Park just outside of Leicester and extremely close to a certain thread moderator’s house……

A NE wind opposed us on the way through the lumpy rolling roads which would give explanation to the near Baltic conditions 🥶 we had to endure for the 20 miles or so to the target destination. Cold as it was, the lumpy terrain definitely got the core temperature up!

After here we crawled back uphill towards Markfield, crossing the busy A50 and then for the next few miles we were in full on TTT mode- except it was just me on the front and the rest happy to sit in behind! Not that I minded- the headwinds we had on the way up were now with us on the way back down so we were able to get a wriggle on.

After that wonderful stretch we were back in Desford and pretty much heading back the way we came, all familiar roads and no real climbing of note. I peeled off from the lads at nearby Higham on the Hill where my car was parked and that was pretty much all she wrote for today. Enjoyed just being out again and actually being able to ride this time without feeling like I couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding!

40.5 in 2:27.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Pleased to have got June done today as will be away the second half of the month. Although I’ve signed up for the 50 km or 50 mile challenge again, to my surprise I’ve actually managed a 100 km each month to this half way point. Mainly a question of being fortunate with the weather in the early months. Still finding these challenges give a bit of extra motivation so thanks to the organisers.

Top Bottom