The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Lovely day here in the West of Scotland. Still suffering from a little bit of loss-of-cycling-mojo - but today was great!

Left Saltcoats and Ardrossan, heading north along the coast road. Detour out to Portencross (11km), stopped for a few mins to take in the view across to Arran, and to watch the paddle boarders and canoes.

Back inland, followed the cyclepaths to the Hunterston road, then followed the road past the power station to the jetty. Turned back, and kept going North when I met the main road.

Approaching Largs, cut in at "The Pencil", and along the coast path into Largs. 33km done. Coffee and cake, sitting on a bench watching the ferries come and go. Hot sunny morning, no clouds, beautiful views over the Clyde. Could have sat there for hours - but back on the bike, another 20km back home along the main road.

1685899840546.png

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Mays round up . We have 29 riders fully posted up for May with 1 rider yet to declare who admits his admin is poor !! So hopefully we're up to 30 an increase of one from last month 🤔 because we've been joined by @UphillSlowly .
A good start for June with 17 of us already making the halfway point 🥳
Well done everyone

Another 2 pointer today.

Met up with the Nuneaton crew as they headed north to Ashby-de-la-Zouch by way of Pistern Hill.
I hadn’t done Pistern in a while so quite fancied the effort of lugging my unfit and overweight frame up it, to see exactly how unfit I was. It’s quite close to home as is Ashby so to make a ride out of it I rode down to Market Bosworth to meet the others and then headed back north again. We’d met quite early but the heat was already evident by this time.

Riding past Staunton Harold Hall it turns out there was a triathlon event on and as such we got lost in the shuffle of quite a few riders as we passed by. Before long we were at Pistern hill and while it’s fair to say that the KOM was never in danger of being toppled, I still managed a sub 6 minute effort so I’m quite pleased with that.

From here we dropped into Ashby and stopped off at Greggs for a little light refreshment. I’d done around 28 miles by this point and figured I’d go for a 50 miler. As I live only 5 miles from Ashby I headed south with the boys back towards Market Bosworth before peeling off at Cadeby and heading back towards home by way of Kirkby Mallory and Bagworth. The lure of kicking on for an extra few miles to get the metric ton was in mind, but the combination of heat, low fluid levels and a need to do some errands put paid to the plan and so I arrived back having got almost 54 and a half in. Still not too shabby that.

54.47 in 3:21

Jenkins

Legendary Member
My personal sub-challenge of including a qualifying ride outside my home county continues for the 6th month with a lovely 71km in the warmth and sunshine (OK there was a bit of rain at the end) loop from Soham up to Ely, down to Cambridge and back up to Soham.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Advance warning !!! There may be no nudge list this month ,your thread monitor in an act of complete delreliction of duty is going away on his holidays right at the end of the month leaving everyone to their own devices .
So the 7 riders yet to post you have been warned

I will try an monitor the thread and rely on my memory ( what was I posting ? ) as to who yet to post and try to post out nearer the end of the month

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Only item of note on today's ride was my 1st tubeless 'puncture' since making the switch from tubes 2 months ago. I didn't notice it until I got home and saw the thins treak of rubber sealant on the underside of my saddle pack and up the seat post. Sure enough, found a 2-3mm cut in the rear tyre that had sealed without fuss, just lost about 10psi doing so. I've just topped up the sealant (Orange original) but it's got me thinking that maybe I ought to patch the inside of the tyre, so I've also order some Rema TT13 tubeless tyre patches and glue. So it's currently thumbs up for tubeless :okay:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Only item of note on today's ride was my 1st tubeless 'puncture' since making the switch from tubes 2 months ago. I didn't notice it until I got home and saw the thins treak of rubber sealant on the underside of my saddle pack and up the seat post. Sure enough, found a 2-3mm cut in the rear tyre that had sealed without fuss, just lost about 10psi doing so. I've just topped up the sealant (Orange original) but it's got me thinking that maybe I ought to patch the inside of the tyre, so I've also order some Rema TT13 tubeless tyre patches and glue. So it's currently thumbs up for tubeless :okay:

Pleased it sealed ok. It’s always a dilemma what to do with tubeless once they have punctured. I find that they have a tendency to reopen on the next ride as the scab is scuffed away. Unseating them is a bit of a hassle but I did use the patch on the inside approach last week and it seems ok after 150 miles. I just used an ordinary patch as didn’t have any special ones for tyres.

Top Bottom