The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I can't decide which one to concentrate on. A lot of my rides are up to 50 miles due to having a dog and school run duties on my days off (I work part time).

So it is easier to increase my metric Eddington by 10 to 82 rides of 82 km (need 16 rides of that distance), than to increase my Imperial Eddington by 10 to 63 rides of 63 miles. The latter would leave me needing to ride 28 rides of 63miles/100km in 2024 ( which won't happen)

It's not a race, is it? If you're doing school runs then you've got decades of cycling left (unless it's someone else's kids you're ferrying about).

Set yourself a longish-term goal - and plot a way towards it. Whatever you achieve next year will part of that plan.

I found the other thread you mentioned (in 'General Chat') and I suggest we carry on the conversation there.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Eddington has his own Wiki entry. A scientist who, IIRC, worked at Bletchly Park during the war. A keen cyclist, he worked out the distances he'd cycled using a Map! Excerpted from his Wiki entry below, we can see where the idea came from. A 'Real' Eddington no is Imperial Miles. I believe the concept has no traction on the continent.

Eddington number for cycling[edit]​

Eddington is credited with devising a measure of a cyclist's long-distance riding achievements. The Eddington number in the context of cycling is defined as the maximum number E such that the cyclist has cycled at least E miles on at least E days.[20][21]

For example, an Eddington number of 70 would imply that the cyclist has cycled at least 70 miles in a day on at least 70 occasions. Achieving a high Eddington number is difficult, since moving from, say, 70 to 75 will (probably) require more than five new long-distance rides, since any rides shorter than 75 miles will no longer be included in the reckoning. Eddington's own life-time E-number was 84.[22]

The Eddington number for cycling is analogous to the h-index that quantifies both the actual scientific productivity and the apparent scientific impact of a scientist.[20]

Domus

Guru
I have a ride booked with The Chorlton Wanderers on New Years Day.

C R

Guru
Eddington has his own Wiki entry. A scientist who, IIRC, worked at Bletchly Park during the war. A keen cyclist, he worked out the distances he'd cycled using a Map! Excerpted from his Wiki entry below, we can see where the idea came from. A 'Real' Eddington no is Imperial Miles. I believe the concept has no traction on the continent.

Eddington number for cycling[edit]​

Eddington is credited with devising a measure of a cyclist's long-distance riding achievements. The Eddington number in the context of cycling is defined as the maximum number E such that the cyclist has cycled at least E miles on at least E days.[20][21]

For example, an Eddington number of 70 would imply that the cyclist has cycled at least 70 miles in a day on at least 70 occasions. Achieving a high Eddington number is difficult, since moving from, say, 70 to 75 will (probably) require more than five new long-distance rides, since any rides shorter than 75 miles will no longer be included in the reckoning. Eddington's own life-time E-number was 84.[22]

The Eddington number for cycling is analogous to the h-index that quantifies both the actual scientific productivity and the apparent scientific impact of a scientist.[20]

I don't think Eddington worked at Bletchley, he was elderly by the time WWII started, and died in 1944. He was a Quaker, and got in trouble for his pacifism during WWI, so not sure he would have been invited to join Bletchley.

He was a very important figure in astrophysics. He devised an experiment to measure the deflection o the light of a star by the gravitacional field of the Sun. Eddington's measurements matched the deflection predicted by Einstein's General Relativity Theory.

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Squeezed another one in today – it was very windy but I reckoned if I headed straight south (into the wind) then I’d have some help on the return leg. It was dry all the way down to the Oust valley. I did a short loop around la Touche Carné then headed back north – unfortunately the change of direction invoked the rain gods and it rained all the way back. Still – I enjoyed the ride anyway.

I think – but I need to check – that that’s the first time I’ve done a 50+km ride on the MASSI mountain bike. It’s certainly the first this year .. so having said earlier this year that I’d try and get all five bikes to do one, then I failed – only managed three. So that’s one for next year .. but I’m planning on adding a gravel bike to the collection in Jan/Feb – so that’ll be an even bigger challenge.

I’ve had a good December (better than November, for sure) with 703km cycled (and one day to go). Not exactly the Rapha Festive 500, I know – but still pleasing.

Here’s the MASSI near la Ville ès Zalos (while it was still dry)

S of Ville ès Zalos pic 1.JPG

Top Bottom