The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
Yes expensive ,Just checking my records put them on Oct 21 and ran them until May this year and put 7000 miles on them . Rear was well worn but front is now a useable spare . Swapped them for Perelli race and even I could feel these were faster and felt better but the rear only lasted 3000 miles and back to a Cinterato on the rear . To be honest I never had a tubeless puncture that hasn't sealed whatever tyre Ive ran but the Cinterato do not seem to cut anywhere near as much as the race tyres and the giant gavas I've used

I changed to tubeless because of the number of punctures I got during the hedge cutting season, a lot of hawthorn hedges in Cheshire!

I've got home on tubeless with tyres looking like porcupines but no air loss.

Just the one disaster when something tore through the sidewall and I had become complacent not carrying an inner tube. Was disconsolately pushing the bike 5 miles home (in cleats) when a white van man pulled up, told me to put the bike in the back of the van and took me all the way home even though it was out of his way.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Stayed in the same area ? , I moved end of October so I know what you mean stuff gets in the way

Moved 10 miles! From rented to owned - but that means more faff as some work is needed on the house. But did my December ride today so I'VE FINISHED!!! :dance::girldance::thanks::cheers:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well done @Spinney ,finisher no16
Well done @slow scot ,finisher no17 who my some Xmas miracle posted before being nudged but he did fail in 1 challenge
I’m in too. Thanks to @13 rider for all his organising. I tried, unsuccessfully I may add, not to be nudged this year. I will add ”no nudge 2023” to my challenge for next year!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes - that's me done for this year. :smile:

I'm lucky - it was very nearly me done for, this ride! Some spectacularly bad driving was inflicted on me today...
  • Very early in my ride I was going straight on at the mini-roundabout in the centre of Todmorden when I saw that a car coming from the Halifax Rd on my left was not giving way. It would have sideswiped me at speed had I not done a violent swerve to my right to get out of the way. I am sure that the driver was unaware of me being there. I think I was in a blind spot because he hadn't looked properly. Scary!
  • About 2 minutes later, a van overtook me stupidly fast, frighteningly close.
  • It was one of those days... Traffic had stopped to allow pedestrians to cross at a crossing ahead. I stopped pedalling and was coasting up behind when in my mirror I saw a car approaching at high speed - MUST...OVERTAKE...SLOW...CYCLIST...AHEAD!!! The car shot past me, cut in, and only then did the driver notice that the vehicles ahead of him were stationary! He braked as hard as he could and only just avoided tail-ending the vehicle in front. I had to brake hard not to run into the back of his car.
  • This couldn't go on. But it DID...! I was doing a reasonable pace. Once more, in my mirror I spotted a vehicle coming up at high speed, obviously the driver's intention being to overtake me. Which was great, except for the fact that I was coming up to a pedestrian refuge in the centre of the road, and there was a stream of oncoming traffic approaching the refuge... The van drew alongside me and then the driver realised that there was no room to get by when obeying the Keep Left signs. So he didn't! He swerved round the righthand side of the refuge, headed straight at the lead car ahead, then swerved back to my side of the road, almost taking me out there. What fun!
  • There were a few more examples of iffy driving, but things seemed to be settling down. I had another hour or so without feeling like some idiot driver would kill me!
  • But then... A car with taxi stickers on overtook me way too fast, way too close, got past me, and only then swerved violently to the right. The only way that makes sense is that the driver had been distracted... USING A PHONE PERHAPS??? :whistle: , was doing the dangerous overtake, and saw me so late that his reaction came after the car had already passed me?
No more stupid drivers after that...

There was a kamikaze pedestrian back in Todmorden though! A young man walking on the pavement to my left in the same direction as I was riding had headphones on and seemed to be in a world of his own. I had a feeling that he would step straight out into the side road ahead without looking. I was turning down that road... I was right - out across the junction he marched. I should have slowed down, allowed him to do it, then turned left behind him and maybe warned him from there. Instead, I chose to make a point by turning in front of him and startling him. I did give him plenty of space, but I accept that it wasn't the right thing to do!

An eventful ride!

I was pleased to get back home into the warm. Drivers may agree that NW gusts to well over 25 km/hr are 'breezy conditions' but I call them a cold, blustery wind!

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Wishing all you halfers a Merry Xmas 🎄,and a reminder that holidays are for riding 50km 🚴 . With 19 people over the line that still leaves 8 riders yet to post so a seasonal nudge for @Sbudge ,@bruce1530 ,@Bazzer ,@Saluki ,@Eribiste ,@AndreaJ ,@Chap sur le velo and @Gibbo9
Apologies for an error in the counting over the line thing as I have 2 number 8s 🥴so everyone after @bluenotebob your one number short . I never said this thread was ran efficiently 😂
Hoping we get a break in this awful weather to get some miles in

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well done @Chap sur le velo ,finisher no21

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Many thanks to all who participated in this. I can't say to often that (for unfathonable reasons) it remains a big motivator. Have been mightly distracted this year but somehow always made time to do a 50 kms and 50 miles.
3 years after buying a 'proper' road bike I've acheived an Eddington no of 49. Something I wouldn't have believed possible for me before then ~(I turned 65 this year and I'm loving it). 1 more to 50, but due to this 50 mile challenge it wont go much higher (perhaps I'll 'cheat' and aim for the metric 80).

As long as I keep doing these two rides as a minimum I feel I'll be able to step up e.g. I'm in the Ride London next May so the basic training is assured. Want to do more rides away from London next yea, will look into train out - ride home. I've noticed in 2021 I rode 4100k, 22 3900km, but this year only 3100k, with the second half of the year rather poor.

Still thanks to this challenge I've kept my basic fitness and look forward to trying more rides next year and more gravel (only once this year!)

Speacial thanks to 13 Rider and Seasons Greetings to all the rest of you lovely people.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I still dom
Many thanks to all who participated in this. I can't say to often that (for unfathonable reasons) it remains a big motivator. Have been mightly distracted this year but somehow always made time to do a 50 kms and 50 miles.
3 years after buying a 'proper' road bike I've acheived an Eddington no of 49. Something I wouldn't have believed possible for me before then ~(I turned 65 this year and I'm loving it). 1 more to 50, but due to this 50 mile challenge it wont go much higher (perhaps I'll 'cheat' and aim for the metric 80).

As long as I keep doing these two rides as a minimum I feel I'll be able to step up e.g. I'm in the Ride London next May so the basic training is assured. Want to do more rides away from London next yea, will look into train out - ride home. I've noticed in 2021 I rode 4100k, 22 3900km, but this year only 3100k, with the second half of the year rather poor.

Still thanks to this challenge I've kept my basic fitness and look forward to trying more rides next year and more gravel (only once this year!)

Speacial thanks to 13 Rider and Seasons Greetings to all the rest of you lovely people.

I still don't understand the Eddington Score. Can you point me to an idiot's guide?

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Thanks. I found out about Veloviewer tiles from this forum (more of a summer hobby!) But the website has a plethora of info pulled from Strava.
Velo viewer works out you'd Eddington it's on your summary page .
It's basically a score of how many times you've ridden a distance . So an Eddington of 50 miles you've ridden a distance over 50 miles 50 times , But to get an Eddington of 52 you need to ride 52 miles 52 times not 2 rides of 52 miles after you've got to 50 so the higher you get the harder it gets

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Velo viewer works out you'd Eddington it's on your summary page .
It's basically a score of how many times you've ridden a distance . So an Eddington of 50 miles you've ridden a distance over 50 miles 50 times , But to get an Eddington of 52 you need to ride 52 miles 52 times not 2 rides of 52 miles after you've got to 50 so the higher you get the harder it gets

Think I finally understand!
One supplementary question:
Why do I seem to have different We Eddington scores for miles vs Km?
Screenshot_20231226_082830.jpg

Ah, just worked it out! I haven't done 85 km (53 miles) 85 times... So miles are easier

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom