The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Friday (or possibly the following Monday) round this way is looking clear to get my sub challenge 50k outside Suffolk ride done. Mind you, they don't seem to be able to get the forecast correct for 48 hours ahead, let alone a week.

Having been hit by a heafty cold and followed up by a chest infection just after completing the main qualifying ride on the 1st (completing only 3 very short rides since then) and despite the complete failure of the forecast sunshine to appear, I managed to get out to Norfolk to complete my personal sub-challenge ride outside Suffolk for December. Took it slow and steady on the folding bike with no ill effects, so it looks like I'm getting back to whatever passes for normal.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Well done @Spartak completing on your first attempt ,no11 over line

Thank you @13 rider ...

A nice flat ride today out along the Bristol to Bath cycle path to Saltford and then into Bristol to follow the River Avon via the Avonmouth Bridge to Portbury Dock.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well done @Donger ,hope you don't suffer from Triskaidekaphobia as your finisher no13
Another 1st time half century finisher ,hope you've enjoyed the very relaxed atmosphere of this challenge

I have indeed. Was considering starting a thread soon in praise of the monthly challenges. Would be nice to encourage a few new participants. for next year. By the way, how do I copy a bronze star to add to my profile? Seems to be protected data on other people's posts.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I'm having trouble myself copying a star but no fear @Donger we have a magic star fairy
@Pat "5mph" could you kindly add a bronze star to @Donger signature and Half century a month challenge completed 2023
Edit . Pat he has managed to sort it thank you

Starting a thread about the challenges is not a bad idea as numbers are dwindling especially in the century ones ,it would probably be better coming from a participant rather than an organiser

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'm having trouble myself copying a star but no fear @Donger we have a magic star fairy
@Pat "5mph" could you kindly add a bronze star to @Donger signature and Half century a month challenge completed 2023

Starting a thread about the challenges is not a bad idea as numbers are dwindling especially in the century ones ,it would probably be better coming from a participant rather than an organiser

Managed to copy it from @kapelmuur 's post.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
December qualifier done this morning. An incredibly mild day down here on the south coast, so took the opportunity to drop off a couple of Christmas cards during the ride. It was 100% cycling on the coastal plain, so not the most interesting ride but quite enjoyable just bumbling along. a lot of other cyclists out and about.
I did venture out mid week with a mind to finish this year's challenge rides in a bit more style, with a few crossings of the South Downs but suffered a tubeless tyre sealant failure from a 4mm flint puncture. I fitted an inner tube but got thoroughly messy in the process and decided to head home instead of finishing the ride. Once back I repaired the damaged tyre using a Rema Tip Top tubeless tyre patch which seems to have worked well, although the tyres, Schwalbe Ones, are cutting up badly in winter conditions. I think I'm going to have to find a more durable tubeless tyre to cope with the local flints.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Thanks for the recommendation @13 rider. I hadn't considered those tyres but they certainly get good reviews albeit they're at the very top end of what I will pay for a tyre. I'm thinking of purchasing a pair and leaving them on all year. Although I very much like the grip and general ride of the Schwalbe Ones, I've been disappointed with the rate of wear.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Thanks for the recommendation @13 rider. I hadn't considered those tyres but they certainly get good reviews albeit they're at the very top end of what I will pay for a tyre. I'm thinking of purchasing a pair and leaving them on all year. Although I very much like the grip and general ride of the Schwalbe Ones, I've been disappointed with the rate of wear.
Yes expensive ,Just checking my records put them on Oct 21 and ran them until May this year and put 7000 miles on them . Rear was well worn but front is now a useable spare . Swapped them for Perelli race and even I could feel these were faster and felt better but the rear only lasted 3000 miles and back to a Cinterato on the rear . To be honest I never had a tubeless puncture that hasn't sealed whatever tyre Ive ran but the Cinterato do not seem to cut anywhere near as much as the race tyres and the giant gavas I've used

Top Bottom