The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Think I finally understand!
One supplementary question:
Why do I seem to have different We Eddington scores for miles vs Km?
View attachment 717105
Ah, just worked it out! I haven't done 85 km (53 miles) 85 times... So miles are easier
Difference in metrics , 53 miles requires 53 rides over 53 miles , 74km Eddington requires 74 !!! rides over 74km so not a straight comparison

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Difference in metrics , 53 miles requires 53 rides over 53 miles , 74km Eddington requires 74 !!! rides over 74km so not a straight comparison

And so you can use the charts, which don't work well on mobile, to work out how to increase your number.

Have no idea what a "good" Eddington number is. I guess 100 metric centuries would be a long term goal for a relative beginner like me?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
And so you can use the charts, which don't work well on mobile, to work out how to increase your number.

Have no idea what a "good" Eddington number is. I guess 100 metric centuries would be a long term goal for a relative beginner like me?
The first web site I mentioned will tell you how many rides you need to get to your next Eddington ,
I think your Eddington is already a good one ,but like everything in cycling it's very individual , your Goal should always be a couple of numbers up so your looked at rides around 55 miles but yes if you want a long term term 100 * 100km rides is achievable over time

UphillSlowly

The first web site I mentioned will tell you how many rides you need to get to your next Eddington ,
I think your Eddington is already a good one ,but like everything in cycling it's very individual , your Goal should always be a couple of numbers up so your looked at rides around 55 miles but yes if you want a long term term 100 * 100km rides is achievable over time

Imperial targets:
Screenshot_20231226_094516.jpg

Metric targets:
Screenshot_20231226_094613.jpg

Is there an Eddington Challenge thread?

bluenotebob

Veteran
Is there an Eddington Challenge thread?

I've never seen one - but there may have been one in the past.

If you want to create one - in 'General Cycling Discussions' - then go ahead .. I'll certainly contribute. It would be better to get this out of the HMCAM Chatzone.

Thanks to @13 rider for his explanations above. I now understand everything - apart from the disparity between imperial and metric .. that simply doesn't make sense. Seems to me that you should opt for one or the other - not both.

Anyone reading this who - like me - doesn't use Strava .. then if you've got 4 bronze stars, your Eddington number should be at least 50km (assuming you did at least 13 qualifying rides per year).

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Because Eddington is a measurement of how many times you done a thing ,metric distance compared to imperial is a higher number so you have to do it more often to reach the target ,you can get a imperial eddington of 50 by riding 50 miles 50 times but you've only riding 80km 50 times so would need another 30 rides of that distance to what seems on equivalent number ,
Hope that makes sense 🥴

UphillSlowly

If you want to create one - in 'General Cycling Discussions' - then go ahead .. I'll certainly contribute. It would be better to get this out of the HMCAM Chatzone.

Thanks to @13 rider for his explanations above. I now understand everything - apart from the disparity between imperial and metric .. that simply doesn't make sense. Seems to me that you should opt for one or the other - not both.

Anyone reading this who - like me - doesn't use Strava .. then if you've got 4 bronze stars, your Eddington number should be at least 50km (assuming you did at least 13 qualifying rides per year).

I found a general discussion on Eddington numbers. Could make a good challenge thread for 2024, though could be difficult to be a monthly challenge

bluenotebob

Veteran
Hope that makes sense

Yes - that does make sense - thanks.

But you surely can't have both - an Eddington number has to be either Imperial or Metric - so I remain puzzled as to why @UphillSlowly listed both imperial and metric above.

@UphillSlowly .. if you want to start an 'Annual Eddington Number Improvement Challenge', I'm interested. On the basis of your number at 1st January 2024 - and your target for 31st December 2024 ?

I've got too many other projects going on at present to open, publicise and monitor a challenge like that - but if you want to, then I'll happily enter it - once I've worked out what my current (metric) Eddington number is (I think it might not be until mid-January before I know ..I've got thousands of rides to sift through going back 7 years).

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Done and dusted. Took the Genesis for a change, after driving it to Norwich as I cannot cope with the cold and the hills here. I know it’s only the Cromer Ridge but a twice broken pelvis, once in 1983 and once in 1999, has been letting me know that there are limits after all, to what I can expect of it in the hill department once the weather is a bit cool.
Some of the NDR cyclepath was a smidge green - that’s Bloke’s Genesis in the foreground of the first pic. His Raspberry Genny. Mine is a sensible Blue colour as I couldn’t afford a far higher spec at the time. I still love my Genny and wouldn’t change it for the world. She’s been my go-to girl since May 2019 now.
Could some kind admin add me a star to my sig please, as I can’t do it on my iPad. Tech hates me :sad:

Attachments

• IMG_5812.jpeg
    IMG_5812.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5813.jpeg
    IMG_5813.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

UphillSlowly

But you surely can't have both - an Eddington number has to be either Imperial or Metric - so I remain puzzled as to wby @UUphillSlowly listed both imperial and metric above
I can't decide which one to concentrate on. A lot of my rides are up to 50 miles due to having a dog and school run duties on my days off (I work part time).

So it is easier to increase my metric Eddington by 10 to 82 rides of 82 km (need 16 rides of that distance), than to increase my Imperial Eddington by 10 to 63 rides of 63 miles. The latter would leave me needing to ride 28 rides of 63miles/100km in 2024 ( which won't happen)

bruce1530

Guru
And we're in for another year! That's 7 years, since 2017.

This year has been a struggle - by far my lowest annual mileage since I started cycling seriously about 10 years ago. A slow start to the year, just general lethargy. I had imagined that I'd make up the mileage in the summer and autumn, but unexpectedly got a prostate cancer diagnosis. Surgery in September, fully expected to drop out of the challenge then, but managed to squeeze in an e-bike-assisted ride in October. November's ride was fine - beautiful sunny day, plenty time, quiet roads. All I need to do is a 50 some time in December, and that's another year done.

Easier said than done. Family stuff going on, weather wasn't brilliant - all of a sudden it's the week before Christmas, and there's weather warnings forecast virtually every day between now and the end of the month.

The only option looks like Boxing Day - weather forecast favourable, so planned to get out early.

Unfortunately, fate had other plans. I had an unexpected Christmas present - toothache! A tooth that's been giving me problems for years, each time the dentist says "are you sure you want me to try to save it? It's pretty far gone..." - was due to start root treatment in early January - but woke up on Christmas in agony. Anyway - NHS24, emergency dentist Boxing Day mid morning. Tooth now in a jar.But the chances of a Boxing Day morning ride had gone.

Early afternoon, decided to go out. Along the coast to Portencross, round the farm roads and bridleway to Hunterston, then back. About 30k, and most importantly flat - since the surgery I'm struggling with hills. Around the town, out to the harbour, round the sea front then along some farm roads.

10 miles from home, it's getting very dark - batteries on lights starting to give warnings - reached the end of my street, 49k on the clock. Round the block to get home with Garmin saying 50.04km.

Top Bottom