The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Welcome back to the challenge @ColinJ
Thanks.

I am going to try to get the February ride in early because the middle of the month will be taken up by a holiday in Devon (without my singlespeed bike). I don't want to leave it until I get back.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
So the high tec paper tick list is fully formatted and loaded
We have 30 entrants with rides in for January ,slightly down on previous years but with January being such a bad month weather wise it's still good . We do occasionally pick up riders who don't always enter in January but may have a qualifying ride in
Good luck everyone

Domus

Guru
First one for February, a chilly 60 Kms over the West Pennine Moors with a café stop in Brinscall where the beans on toast hardly touched the sides. Into Chorley then through Rivington where the Sunday traffic was AWFULL. (Note to self avoid at weekends). Bit of a bummer after that, dropped into visit a close friend who is going through a very bad illness, in fact the worst one there is. I saw him last on Thursday and the deterioration in just a few days was quite upsetting to see. Life sucks.

bluenotebob

Veteran
A new LBS opened in Mauron on Monday so I’ve been ferrying bikes back and forth this week, getting them serviced etc. Yesterday was a bit of a ‘hotch potch’ of rides .. checking bikes after they’d been serviced and for the others, reminding myself what needs doing .. 4 bikes in action on the day and, as it came to over 50km, I claimed a point.

A ‘proper’ ride today – an anti-clockwise loop around Loyat on my road bike which was just over 56km – and that meant that I also passed 1000km in 2023 (7 days later than last year – but that’s OK).

I’ve still not missed a day on the bike this year – 42 days cycled/42 (where are all the winter storms this year ??).

The section of today’s route between Loyat and Mauron was on the V3 Voie Verte – almost totally deserted .. in 13km, I saw one walker and one other cyclist. I think the guys who look after the Voie Verte must have passed recently with their leaf-blowing machine .. look at that surface: so smooth and flat you could play snooker on it..

V3 S of Trégadoret pic 1.JPG

February done.

Overcame my New Year sense of malaise and forced myself back outdoors for the first time in three weeks (six weeks on road.) I’m glad I did- it was exactly what I needed!

Met up with a couple of friends just outside Nuneaton then rode back north to Twycross and Harvey’s cafe for a nibble and a chat. This place is only ten miles from home however I knew riding down to meet them first would get me a point by the time I peeled off from them on the way back. It was so good to be back outdoors again and the weather was surprisingly mild for this time of year. Add in the fact that there was no wind either and we had almost perfect conditions! 31.6 in 1:58.

Domus

Guru
Another ride with The Chorlton Wanderers today, just over 50 Kms but with my 20 Kms there and back I went for a lap of Bury to sneak over 100Kms and my first three pointer of the year. Rather pleased that I was not too shattered on my return home. Some fitness gains maybe.

Another point in the bag today- having booked off a long weekend from work I took full advantage of the mild conditions and rode to my dentist appointment. My dentist is in Burton, some 16 miles from home, traffic usually horrendous through there with all the road works going on so it made sense to heed what Freddie Mercury said in a little known song (😉) and just get on the bike and ride! It took me just an hour and two minutes to get there by way of a flattish route which in all honesty would still have been quicker than driving!

Dentist appointment done and cash safely extracted from wallet it was time to head back but I chose a much hillier route taking in the suburb of Winshill where both Bearwood Hill and Melbourne Avenue awaited. Both around the same length, Bearwood was first. A 6-7% effort for a quarter mile, long and straight with a blind summit. Once that was done there was just about enough time for a breather before hitting Melbourne Avenue, which is far steeper at around 12.5% max and kicks again right at the start of the roundabout at the top. Luckily there was nothing coming and I was able to slog on up to the summit on the opposite side of the roundabout on Bretby Lane, where the remainder of the route was rolling at best save for the mile long drag out of Hartshorne towards Ashby. Once in Ashby I felt the climbing I’d done to this point was enough and opted for the flatter but busy A511 back to Coalville. 34.9 in 2:22.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
In all the years of doing this challenge this is my first 'guilty' banker. :blink: I had decided to get a ride in today, but circumstances apparently dictated otherwise. So, a ride to the post office and Sainsbury's, immediately followed by a lunchtime ride around town - pausing for two separate chicken roll breaks - and then home.
A little later, the sun became too inviting and I went out to make up the distance. I'll aim for a all-in-one-go ride later in the month, but (for the time being) I'm adding another point to my total. :whistle:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
In all the years of doing this challenge this is my first 'guilty' banker. :blink: I had decided to get a ride in today, but circumstances apparently dictated otherwise. So, a ride to the post office and Sainsbury's, immediately followed by a lunchtime ride around town - pausing for two separate chicken roll breaks - and then home.
A little later, the sun became too inviting and I went out to make up the distance. I'll aim for a all-in-one-go ride later in the month, but (for the time being) I'm adding another point to my total. :whistle:
Nothing against any rules so no need to feel guilty even if it doesn't quite sit right with you . It counts .
We all impose are own peramiters on what feels right or not but technically it counts

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
After many years of doing this or the 100k challenge, I'm going to have to drop out. Appears I have a fractured ankle. Takes up to 6 weeks to heal...and as I didnt get my 50k in before the 5th (when I did it...only confirmed on weds after a trip to a and e) I wont be able to do a qualifying ride until late March......

After many years of doing this or the 100k challenge, I'm going to have to drop out. Appears I have a fractured ankle. Takes up to 6 weeks to heal...and as I didnt get my 50k in before the 5th (when I did it...only confirmed on weds after a trip to a and e) I wont be able to do a qualifying ride until late March......

GWS @PatrickPending

Top Bottom