The Abbey HAG derailleur alignment tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Is it really that good or is it just the new cool thing to use? A 'work of Art' meets functionality and all that c**p. Is it really the Campagnolo Super Record of bicycle maintenance tools? It should be for the price.

Abbey Bike Tools HAG

hag-reduced.jpg

I doubt it is better than the Shimano one although I can't see how the gauge works that checks against the wheel, or is there another method?
The check for quality in such a tool can be checked in three ways.
1) Is there zero or very little play in the tool when you hold the end of the lever and wiggle it (whilst it is screwed into the bike)?
2) Does it give you an indication of the "Straightness" in mm or some other increments
3) Is the lever sturdy enough for bending the hanger?

All else is cosmetic.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I doubt it is better than the Shimano one although I can't see how the gauge works that checks against the wheel, or is there another method?
The check for quality in such a tool can be checked in three ways.
1) Is there zero or very little play in the tool when you hold the end of the lever and wiggle it (whilst it is screwed into the bike)?
2) Does it give you an indication of the "Straightness" in mm or some other increments
3) Is the lever sturdy enough for bending the hanger?

All else is cosmetic.

1) I don't know if it has any play or not. I suspect it does have some, though, as the tool is extendable.
2) As far as I know, there is no visual indication of incremental measurement apart from the simple 'pointer' that lines up with the rim.
3) I believe it to be a sturdy tool.

My thoughts entitrely. Purely cosmetic.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I have something similar to the Campagnolo alignment tool. There was a touch of play when bolted into the derailleur hanger, but I overcame this with some plumber's (PTFE) tape.

Top Bottom