The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My first ride under the auspices of the Lunacy Challenge yesterday. Not wanting to stray too far while the current crisis continues I've linked three of my local loops together to get an imperial century without going more than about 12 miles away from home.

Ride report here for anyone interested: Link

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
My first ride is finally on the Lunacy list this year. It feels considerably more challenging to be starting within a couple of weeks of the solstice than it did last year when I started a week after the equinox. Still, a whole three and a half months 'til the sunset becomes too early for me. :ohmy:
But as you did a tour of the UK then that's sufficient lunacy for the year and now you can have a lie down for a few months :laugh:

steverob

Guru
Well, that's it - I'm officially off and running with today's ride. Decided to set my target at 50 miles rather than anything more ambitious, given almost half the year is already gone (plus this does give me one ride already that I did in March).

I've actually decided to make it a tiny bit harder on myself - I want to get to at least 11, possibly 12 out of the 13 done before the clocks change again in October. I don't want to have to do loads of long rides in the months with less sunlight - happy to do one or two when I feel like it and when the weather co-operates, but being forced to go out and do more miles than I feel comfortable doing or in unfavourable conditions, is never a good thing in my book.

This means I have 18 weeks (could be 1 or 2 fewer, depending on whether or not my holiday in October goes ahead) in which to do nine or ten rides, so that's a 50-miler every other weekend, give or take. Definitely do-able, even given my poor form at the moment.

Fiona R

I've finally managed my first lunatic ride, since lockdown and my two back to back 200s in early March which were sociable calendar audax, we knew Efengyl was going to be the last for a while.

North South Divide - don't hustle me

That took a huge amount of head space. I've lost a lot of fitness even though I've ridden throughout, more hills than long miles. I was totally self sufficient by having lunch at home half way. I rode the route a few club mates were riding but started 90 mins earlier in the morning. the 5.30am alarm is my absolute most hated part of lunatic days. Bar nothing. I rode into Bristol and up the Portway and round Blaise Castle as if heading off to the start of the many audax that start in the Filton/Alveston areas, so I took a wistful pic of The Swan Pub at Alveston.

It was quite wet but the rain was due to clear and the wind built a huge amount during the day as the first 50km was my major tailwind time, but relatively it wasn't. The wind was a major feature of today, it may come up again. Through Berkeley but no best Ploughman's in the world today. I was in Stinchcombe for 9 where the others were due to stop for a café takeaway. Then I turned into the hills and the building south westerly. I enjoyed the ride down to Wotton under Edge via North Nibley. But I didn't really eat enough, breakfast had been minimal that early. I found myself dumped out on the big Cribbs roundabout and then hacked up another major hill to Clifton Downs and over the suspension bridge. A whizz over to Failand and a whoosh down Belmont hill to home by 11.30 Around 22.5kmh I think. I was wobbly and made myself eat a lot and take time so an hour out at home cooking some fresh pasta and drinking a massive milky coffee and eating lemon drizzle.

A home lunch break after what is a very respectable ride, makes going out again very hard. Very very hard but not as hard as the 5.30 alarm. If I was just going to do that I could have stayed in bed another couple of hours. Afternoon route is heading south, looping up onto the Mendips, dropping down onto the Somerset Levels and hacking back west to loop home without anymore significant lumps.

I told myself to get on with it so packed my barbag with another sandwich, refilled my bottles and made sure jelly babies were to hand. I knew the wind was getting up and it was going to be a long ride across the levels, but the wind also turned to a westerly.

I head off on the familiar "ride to work/start of ride" route to Backwell which I've done 1000s of times and head off up Brockley Combe at a plod, very slowly, very weary. Past the planes at the airport still in the same places, and off down towards Burrington. Burrington Combe was like a Pyrenean col today, never ridden one but it went on forever and I nearly stopped for a break in the drizzle, not sure where the forecast sun from 10am onward has gone today? I've never needed to do that before, it's a long benign climb, my favourite sort. I made it just, 75km to go and no more hills really. Descending Deerleap/Ebhor Gorge got a bit scary as suddenly 2 Police cars appeared racing up towards me, I heard the sirens and dived into a hedge as they rounded the corner, luckily the motorist behind me was driving very carefully/keeping distance and everyone halted safely, thank goodness for disc brakes. I've never seen so much traffic on the Mendips as today.

Past Wookey Hole and the marathon into the Force5/6 headwind as it had shifted from southerly to westerly (sorry I used to sail so think in Beaufort Scale!) The Levels were glorious, the sun came out and no traffic. Right left right left along those straight roads, every now and then a tantalising 100m not into the headwind then another 5km straight. I kept on plugging away, past Sweets Cycle Café about 4pm (Sweets takeaway closes at 3pm at present, the time I hoped to be there but fortunately wasn't planning on stopping) It felt like what I imagined the 90 mile straight/Nullarbor Plain road in Australia must be like with any headwind. 90 miles later (sic) I finally got to Loxton. A bit more up and down but just 30km home, with a tailwind. I hadn't managed to keep my speed at 20km/hr on the Levels but I had plugged away a bit more comfortably and finally found a rhythm, what with crawling hills, it was a good job there was no added pressure of holding someone else up, although I was daydreaming of a couple of friends randomly appearing to lead me home. No such luck.

I got home at 6.30, an hour later than I hoped, 12 hrs elapsed time, speed overall under 20km/hr. That's winter (when contending with night riding) audax speed for me. Most of me was suffering. The husband said "what took you so long?" He cooked me a nice dinner of salmon and new potatoes and green beans so he's not been dismissed. As we had ridden a 100km loop on Saturday to Weston with some some significant wind (plus he had been playing golf on the side of a hill in it) he did have some idea of what I had been contending with.

I'm just glad I made myself get out there, I've only done 4x100km in the last few weeks tops, once the exercise time element was lifted. I have to just blindly stop over thinking/procrastinating and just get out. Once I am out I'm OK, I've done it before I can do it again. It was great to finish the day on a high with the best weather of the day and a bit of kilometre chomping tailwind at the end. I might ache again but some endorphins have been kick started.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got my latest done yesterday. 101.3 miles on a variation of one of my more usual challenge ride routes heading south to start with then round in a loop through north Shropshire. Hard work due to starting and finishing with a fairly brisk headwind and not helped by self inflicted problems due to having experimented with my saddle adjustment. It's in the bag though. Ride report is here for those who want it: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6045182

Fiona R

Got my latest done yesterday. 101.3 miles on a variation of one of my more usual challenge ride routes heading south to start with then round in a loop through north Shropshire. Hard work due to starting and finishing with a fairly brisk headwind and not helped by self inflicted problems due to having experimented with my saddle adjustment. It's in the bag though. Ride report is here for those who want it: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-6045182
Saddle problems :wacko: and that wind! Well done. 👍

aferris2

Guru
7th ride done this morning before it got too hot here. Wanted to get back before the temperature reached the mid thirty's. Took the main road out of Broome and then headed off towards Koolijaman. It's a route that I had seen others doing on Strava and it seemed a sensible option to gets the miles done away from the road train route. Then back towards the town and through the centre. Scooted past cable beach which is where everyone swims, even with the "beware of crocodiles" signs everywhere. Fi ally back to the camp and an ice cream from the camp shop. They're well under half the price of anywhere else, so it would be a shame to let them go to waste.
Now that I'm past the half way point I can at last say only 6 more rides to go!

bluenotebob

Veteran
Yesterday was my first qualifying ride of 2020 in this Challenge, and this is my first post on CC for a few months.

Apart from the lockdown problems that we’ve all experienced, I’ve been struggling to adjust to a new bike….25mm tyres, Shimano Tiagra gears and dropped handlebars … it’s taken time to get used to the new riding position and gear-shifting. But I’d done a couple of hilly 70+km rides in the last week so I thought that it was time to go for a 100+km flattish ride .. I hadn’t planned on doing 125km though.

Heaven only knows if I can do 12 more qualifying rides this year – but I’m going to try..

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I need to bring the logging thread up-to-date, but not today, as I'll explain below. I thought I'd struggle with rolling lunacy during the lockdown, but well done lunacy, the incentive was strong enough. The ride on July 2nd, as well as being July's ICaM ride, also means I'm OK for rolling lunacy until September 3rd, and with DiY Audaxing expected to be back next month, it's looking OK.

But much more importantly, today officially I became a pensioner, instead of being pseudo-retired as has been the case for a while. One consequence is that I could have a new bike :unsure: but my beaten-up Raleigh continues to be something of a miracle. More likely I'll be looking to fund a few nights at Premier Inns or similar when touring becomes viable again. Something to look forward to. :smile:

We've been celebrating this evening with some dining-in extravaganzas from Marks & Spencer and Tesco. A very enjoyable garlicky steak followed by sticky toffee pudding washed down with a bottle of rosé. And no-one had to drive an inch.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Having had my imperial century sequence interrupted by various things I've been taking stock and trying to figure out a plan for the rest of the year. Lately I've been trying to plan and ride the hilliest possible routes starting and finishing from home. Living where I do this can be quite a challenge as it's not terribly hilly, especially as I've been throwing in extra rules like no repeating the same climb twice, and no U turns.

Anyway, I've decided to throw my hat into the Lunacy ring, just to give me somewhere to record. I'm going for a target of 100km with a personal ethical restriction that the total elevation has to be over 1,500m. So I'll have a private challenge to make the lowest elevation as high as possible as well as keeping the shortest distance over the target.

Looks like this so far
1. Jan 4th 170.2 km 2,235 m
2. Feb 2nd 161.5 km 2,517 m
3. 13th Jun 123.5 km 2,125 m
4. 11th Jul 101.2 km 1,720 m

I'll sort out better ride descriptions and add to the ride logging thread soon.

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Welcome @Dogtrousers !

I've just looked back over the 2020 Loony ride thread and it looks like there are now 12 active competitors in this year's challenge (Lane pulled out earlier) … one more would make it a nice 13 .. which I think is the same number as last year.

If anyone's interested, here's the list - not in any order - and apologies if I missed anyone (or got the number of rides wrong)

Aferris - 7 rides
Andy In Germany - 2 rides
Super Super Leeds - 4 rides
Cranky Knee Girl - 5 rides
Aravis - 4 rides
Bazzer - 5 rides
Rickshaw Phil - 5 rides
Colin J - 1 ride
Sea of Vapours - 6 rides
Steve Rob - 3 rides
Dogtrousers - 4 rides
BlueNoteBob - 2 rides