Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
After a week of monsoon rain it looked like Saturday would be a better day but I was a bit short on time so just a quick ride. Set off to Loppington, towards Burlton, English Frankton, Colemere taking the longer way round the mere, Lyneal, Welshampton, Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, Northwood and home. The heavy rain during the week has made the rougher lanes even worse washing bits of the road surface off and dumping it at the bottom of any hills which makes an interesting surprise. 19.05miles @15.6mph.
More time today and sunshine but the wind is back. Set off to Northwood, Bettisfield, Hampton Bank, into Welshampton, Coptiviney where I found a car and a lorry trying to squeeze past each other not sure if the lorry really wanted to be there or if he was lost but it was a big lorry for a narrow lane, I carried on to Ellesmere before turning up to Sandy Lane, turning into the wind to Trench, back to Ellesmere, past Ellesmere College to Lee, Hordley, Bagley, Weston Lullingfields, Marton, Burlton, English Frankton, Colemere past the sailing club side of the mere and past the now open car park which was full, into Lyneal, back towards Loppington, Wolverley and home. 36.31miles @15.9mph.
Picture of Colemere and the vineyard opposite.
7533746A-0999-4FA9-BBD8-FA5718178664.jpeg

D9327A73-2E2A-40D0-B10F-EDCC360B73B6.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

Having missed a couple of months I'm playing catchup with my challenge rides (having changed from the Imperial Challenge to the Lunacy Challenge, but kept the same distance) so aimed to get in my second century of the month. With restrictions being lifted quite widely I didn't see any benefit in staying close to home like last time (as long as I keep my distance from people) so set out to do a variation of one of my usual century routes: Condover, Acton Burnell, Cardington, Hughley, Cound, Atcham, Upton Magna, Shawbury, Wem, Ellesmere, Oswestry, Melverley, Westbury and back via Condover.

Setting out on the Galaxy the weather was cool and rather windy. I'd planned to do the route this way round so as to have a long stint with the wind behind me but that meant starting and finishing into the wind. I started off well but after a few miles was finding the experimental adjustment I did last time, which had seemed good on a short sprint round the local lanes, didn't feel right at more of a touring pace. I tried another tweak shortly after Acton Burnell, which seemed good riding into the wind but reaching the climb to Folly Bank I needed to use a lower gear than I'd be used to on this bike.

Cardington looked as pretty as ever on a summer morning, and further on near Longville I picked up the tailwind I'd been hoping for and had fast run along the flowing roads to Hughley then onwards towards Harley (which as usual I don't actually go into). I'd usually go to Cressage from here but I thought I'd try something different and head through Harnage, Cound, Cross Houses and Atcham to approach Upton Magna from that side. This route is faster as it's not so hilly but, as I found later, isn't as far I thought. The strong breeze gave me a good view of the flag at Cound, which was the Suffolk county flag this time. (Had to look that one up).

Going through Upton Magna I was getting along well enough to catch and overtake another cyclist but by Withington I was starting to wonder about the latest adjustment as despite the tailwind I wasn't really going faster on the flat sections than I'd expect to manage on a calm day. Warning twinges of cramp in the legs as I approached the roadworks near Roden told me I'd definitely got it wrong so at my next drink stop near Poynton Heath I put the saddle back where it had originally been and thought again.

Now I was getting on more like I'd hoped. 18 or 19 mph was an easy cruise on the way from Shawbury to Besford and the climb up Palm's Hill was easy with a fun 30 mph descent the other side. I paused for another drink at Wem before taking the usual quieter road through Lowe on my way to Northwood rather than the more direct way. I had an elevenses stop on the bridge over the canal at Hampton Bank, where a passer-by came over to admire the Galaxy and ask questions about it as he'd been thinking about buying a similar one.

At Welshampton I found the road much quieter than usual (a closure on the Whitchurch side). I almost sailed past where I intended to turn off by the school as my thoughts were elsewhere. The back road to Coptiviney is as rough as ever in places but at least it wasn't muddy today. I got my first taste of heading back into the wind along here and knew I wasn't going to like it much.

Reaching Ellesmere I skirted round the edge of town this time and followed the NCN route to Oswestry. This route is rough and was muddy in places which has undone my efforts cleaning the bike. It's also quite undulating so progress slowed considerably. By Gobowen I was flagging a bit and rest stops became a little more frequent. The climb from Gobowen to Pentre Dafydd is one I particularly dislike when coming this way round (even though it's not particularly steep it just seems really energy-sapping) but on this bike it didn't seem as bad. On the next short-but-sharp climb however, the strains from earlier in the ride caught up with me - my legs cramped and I had to stop until it eased. I was intending to stop a little further on at the old hill fort to eat my lunch anyway so only had another half mile before taking break.

Moving on again I was plodding a bit. I got more warning twinges while heading out of town but fortunately it's slightly downhill for most of the next five miles which helped a lot. The climb at Woolston didn't cause any problems thankfully and I plodded on towards Maesbrook and Melverley.

At Crew Green it felt like I had a tailwind on the way to Prince's Oak - I shouldn't have had but I'm not complaining. I'd not been looking forward to the climb here (approx 160 feet in 3/4 of a mile and into the wind) but dropping into low range I plodded up without a problem. I always wonder if I'll have to stop at the level crossing between Halfway House and Westbury but today I wasn't likely to as services had been suspended by an accident only about an hour before I got here (a train hit a van on a private crossing at Cefn). Immediately after the crossing I had the prat of the day overtake me into a blind left hander in a van with trailer.:rolleyes:

A drink and snack stop was needed at Westbury, after which I headed east out of the village with a great tailwind. I spent most of the next 3 miles cruising along in the low 20s and peaking at 29 mph going into Yockleton.:hyper: It was a bit less quick after turning off in Nox but that really perked me up. By Exford's Green I was realising that my change earlier in the ride meant the distance was going to be marginal. I should be over the 100 miles but, to make sure, at Hunger Hill I headed through Condover to add a mile or so.

101.37 miles at 13.9 mph moving. Total time including stops was a couple of minutes under 9 hours. As always, it was nice to see plenty of other cyclists out, especially on a weekday.

Early on in the ride, a view to the Lawley and Caer Caradoc.

Cardington.

Rest stop at Poynton Heath (where I also undid the earlier tweaks to the saddle)

Wem. No problem social distancing here as you see.

Lovely straight, empty road with a good tailwind in the Whixall area.

The view from my elevenses stop at Hampton Bank.

Very grand arch over a tiny country lane near Welshampton. The railway the bridge carried has long gone.

I said hello to this cyclist and they blanked me. Do you think I should start a thread about it @ianrauk? :laugh:

The church at Melverley. This replaced one burned down by Owain Glyndwr. (No, I don't know why the camera insisted on using the flash)

A very pastoral scene at Nox

AndreaJ

Veteran
Yesterday's ride:

Having missed a couple of months I'm playing catchup with my challenge rides (having changed from the Imperial Challenge to the Lunacy Challenge, but kept the same distance) so aimed to get in my second century of the month. With restrictions being lifted quite widely I didn't see any benefit in staying close to home like last time (as long as I keep my distance from people) so set out to do a variation of one of my usual century routes: Condover, Acton Burnell, Cardington, Hughley, Cound, Atcham, Upton Magna, Shawbury, Wem, Ellesmere, Oswestry, Melverley, Westbury and back via Condover.

Setting out on the Galaxy the weather was cool and rather windy. I'd planned to do the route this way round so as to have a long stint with the wind behind me but that meant starting and finishing into the wind. I started off well but after a few miles was finding the experimental adjustment I did last time, which had seemed good on a short sprint round the local lanes, didn't feel right at more of a touring pace. I tried another tweak shortly after Acton Burnell, which seemed good riding into the wind but reaching the climb to Folly Bank I needed to use a lower gear than I'd be used to on this bike.

Cardington looked as pretty as ever on a summer morning, and further on near Longville I picked up the tailwind I'd been hoping for and had fast run along the flowing roads to Hughley then onwards towards Harley (which as usual I don't actually go into). I'd usually go to Cressage from here but I thought I'd try something different and head through Harnage, Cound, Cross Houses and Atcham to approach Upton Magna from that side. This route is faster as it's not so hilly but, as I found later, isn't as far I thought. The strong breeze gave me a good view of the flag at Cound, which was the Suffolk county flag this time. (Had to look that one up).

Going through Upton Magna I was getting along well enough to catch and overtake another cyclist but by Withington I was starting to wonder about the latest adjustment as despite the tailwind I wasn't really going faster on the flat sections than I'd expect to manage on a calm day. Warning twinges of cramp in the legs as I approached the roadworks near Roden told me I'd definitely got it wrong so at my next drink stop near Poynton Heath I put the saddle back where it had originally been and thought again.

Now I was getting on more like I'd hoped. 18 or 19 mph was an easy cruise on the way from Shawbury to Besford and the climb up Palm's Hill was easy with a fun 30 mph descent the other side. I paused for another drink at Wem before taking the usual quieter road through Lowe on my way to Northwood rather than the more direct way. I had an elevenses stop on the bridge over the canal at Hampton Bank, where a passer-by came over to admire the Galaxy and ask questions about it as he'd been thinking about buying a similar one.

At Welshampton I found the road much quieter than usual (a closure on the Whitchurch side). I almost sailed past where I intended to turn off by the school as my thoughts were elsewhere. The back road to Coptiviney is as rough as ever in places but at least it wasn't muddy today. I got my first taste of heading back into the wind along here and knew I wasn't going to like it much.

Reaching Ellesmere I skirted round the edge of town this time and followed the NCN route to Oswestry. This route is rough and was muddy in places which has undone my efforts cleaning the bike. It's also quite undulating so progress slowed considerably. By Gobowen I was flagging a bit and rest stops became a little more frequent. The climb from Gobowen to Pentre Dafydd is one I particularly dislike when coming this way round (even though it's not particularly steep it just seems really energy-sapping) but on this bike it didn't seem as bad. On the next short-but-sharp climb however, the strains from earlier in the ride caught up with me - my legs cramped and I had to stop until it eased. I was intending to stop a little further on at the old hill fort to eat my lunch anyway so only had another half mile before taking break.

Moving on again I was plodding a bit. I got more warning twinges while heading out of town but fortunately it's slightly downhill for most of the next five miles which helped a lot. The climb at Woolston didn't cause any problems thankfully and I plodded on towards Maesbrook and Melverley.

At Crew Green it felt like I had a tailwind on the way to Prince's Oak - I shouldn't have had but I'm not complaining. I'd not been looking forward to the climb here (approx 160 feet in 3/4 of a mile and into the wind) but dropping into low range I plodded up without a problem. I always wonder if I'll have to stop at the level crossing between Halfway House and Westbury but today I wasn't likely to as services had been suspended by an accident only about an hour before I got here (a train hit a van on a private crossing at Cefn). Immediately after the crossing I had the prat of the day overtake me into a blind left hander in a van with trailer.:rolleyes:

A drink and snack stop was needed at Westbury, after which I headed east out of the village with a great tailwind. I spent most of the next 3 miles cruising along in the low 20s and peaking at 29 mph going into Yockleton.:hyper: It was a bit less quick after turning off in Nox but that really perked me up. By Exford's Green I was realising that my change earlier in the ride meant the distance was going to be marginal. I should be over the 100 miles but, to make sure, at Hunger Hill I headed through Condover to add a mile or so.

101.37 miles at 13.9 mph moving. Total time including stops was a couple of minutes under 9 hours. As always, it was nice to see plenty of other cyclists out, especially on a weekday.

View attachment 531875
Early on in the ride, a view to the Lawley and Caer Caradoc.

View attachment 531876
Cardington.

View attachment 531877
Rest stop at Poynton Heath (where I also undid the earlier tweaks to the saddle)

View attachment 531878
Wem. No problem social distancing here as you see.

View attachment 531880
Lovely straight, empty road with a good tailwind in the Whixall area.

View attachment 531881
The view from my elevenses stop at Hampton Bank.

View attachment 531882
Very grand arch over a tiny country lane near Welshampton. The railway the bridge carried has long gone.

View attachment 531883
I said hello to this cyclist and they blanked me. Do you think I should start a thread about it @ianrauk? :laugh:

View attachment 531884
The church at Melverley. This replaced one burned down by Owain Glyndwr. (No, I don't know why the camera insisted on using the flash)

View attachment 531885
A very pastoral scene at Nox
I think I passed you yesterday while you were taking your pictures at Hampton Bank, I was coming up Rowe Lane to the left of the canal heading to Welshampton. It’s a bit sad about Wem it usually looks that empty even before all the restrictions.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think I passed you yesterday while you were taking your pictures at Hampton Bank, I was coming up Rowe Lane to the left of the canal heading to Welshampton. It’s a bit sad about Wem it usually looks that empty even before all the restrictions.
Really? Sorry I didn't chat.:shy:

Yes, Wem has looked down at heel for quite some time. The centre is quite nice if only some way of reinvigorating it could be found.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Really? Sorry I didn't chat.:shy:

Yes, Wem has looked down at heel for quite some time. The centre is quite nice if only some way of reinvigorating it could be found.
It’s ok I had gone past when I thought who it was.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yesterday's ride:

Having missed a couple of months I'm playing catchup with my challenge rides (having changed from the Imperial Challenge to the Lunacy Challenge, but kept the same distance) so aimed to get in my second century of the month. With restrictions being lifted quite widely I didn't see any benefit in staying close to home like last time (as long as I keep my distance from people) so set out to do a variation of one of my usual century routes: Condover, Acton Burnell, Cardington, Hughley, Cound, Atcham, Upton Magna, Shawbury, Wem, Ellesmere, Oswestry, Melverley, Westbury and back via Condover...

p6220353-jpg.jpg

Cardington.
Ha ha - I love the road sign, but I bet people still try to drive through that way!

Nice ride.

I have cycled down to Wem on a couple of 200 km Cheshire rides but riding further south than that and back would (for me) be a bit far for a one day ride.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
No rides for me for 8 days due to a painful collision between my little toe and some big furniture that has left me unable to wear shoes. For a few days I thought I'd broken a toe, but yesterday I managed to get a shoe on for the first time, and today I managed a trouble-free and relatively comfortable 28 mile gentle pootle with my mate Simon. We stopped every time we hit the river bank, and explored some less-ridden lanes near Arlingham before I arrived home on 23 miles.

At that point, just as I was looking for my garage door key, I spotted that I'd still got Simon's smartphone in my bar bag, so I raced off to Gloucester to deliver it for him. I had visions of him realising what he'd done before he got home, and turning around to come back to my place. What's more, I couldn't guaranteed he would take the same route as me, so this had all the makings of a Keystone Cops chase. Fortunately, I arrived at his house just seconds after he did, and he immediately knew why I was there. That, together with taking a slightly longer route home, got my mileage up to 28 miles by the time I got home again.

The toe held up well, and my Skechers trainers were very supportive and comfortable, so I guess I'm now back in the game. It also means I have no excluse for not doing any gardening tomorrow.
Cheers, Donger.

gavgav

Guru
No rides for me for 8 days due to a painful collision between my little toe and some big furniture that has left me unable to wear shoes. For a few days I thought I'd broken a toe, but yesterday I managed to get a shoe on for the first time, and today I managed a trouble-free and relatively comfortable 28 mile gentle pootle with my mate Simon. We stopped every time we hit the river bank, and explored some less-ridden lanes near Arlingham before I arrived home on 23 miles.

At that point, just as I was looking for my garage door key, I spotted that I'd still got Simon's smartphone in my bar bag, so I raced off to Gloucester to deliver it for him. I had visions of him realising what he'd done before he got home, and turning around to come back to my place. What's more, I couldn't guaranteed he would take the same route as me, so this had all the makings of a Keystone Cops chase. Fortunately, I arrived at his house just seconds after he did, and he immediately knew why I was there. That, together with taking a slightly longer route home, got my mileage up to 28 miles by the time I got home again.

The toe held up well, and my Skechers trainers were very supportive and comfortable, so I guess I'm now back in the game. It also means I have no excluse for not doing any gardening tomorrow.
Cheers, Donger.
Sorry to read of the injury. I remember my brother breaking a little toe on a door frame when we were in our teen years! Good to see you are able to get back out though.

gavgav

Guru
A short warm and sunny after work ride, over to Dad’s for a chat. It was surprisingly windy, and mostly a head wind, all the way to his house, through Meole, Hook-a-Gate, Annscroft, Exfords Green and into Stapleton. Bizarrely it felt almost dead calm when sat outside in his garden though :wacko:

We had a good chat and I set off home via Gonsal, Condover and Betton Abbots, with thankfully a good tailwind most of the way, which upped the average speed from 12.9 to 13.8mph, by the time I got home.

14.91 miles

Cheers, Donger.

I'm glad to hear you are back in riding condition. Tough break with the gardening though...

Mark pallister

A windy but dry day up Northumberland and back down the coast
100 mls
4600 ft

Attachments

• 0FB19B1A-6C2F-4FE0-BAE9-D1B6B99BBA2B.jpeg
    0FB19B1A-6C2F-4FE0-BAE9-D1B6B99BBA2B.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 5
  • BF259B82-185A-4BCF-9DF0-226149325785.jpeg
    BF259B82-185A-4BCF-9DF0-226149325785.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 9A08BF5D-A699-4799-96B3-B176550838E1.jpeg