Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

After three days off the bikes resting I had another go at the challenge ride. I was up early and out on the road before 7am with the Galaxy this time. Sunscreen was remembered so no need to turn back.:okay:

It was a great morning and pleasantly warm right from the start. I had a bit of a moment less than three miles in when, turning into a junction, I went wide to avoid cornering over a drain cover only to find the loose gravel instead. The front wheel washed out but luckily I was going slow and got a foot down quick which stopped me from ending up on the deck. That made me a little wary for the rest of the ride.

Pushing on through Exford's Green and Arscott I varied the route from last time by heading to Shorthill and Nox where I took a lane I've never been along before. Apart from an unexpectedly steep climb out of Nox and a bad surface under some trees it was a pleasant place to ride and I noticed there is a cafe at a campsite en-route which might be nice to try when the current crisis is over.

This lane brought me out near Shoot Hill and back onto the route from last time to Ford, Montford Bridge, Shrawardine, Wilcott, Great Ness and Baschurch. The short stretch on the A458 was slightly less busy than last time (the advantage of not losing half an hour going back for stuff). The lanes through Shrawardine were as quiet as expected but the road to Great Ness and Baschurch was surprisingly busy making it a bit stop-start as I met large vehicles. Leaving Baschurch I encountered the moron of the day; As I was about to take my position approaching a traffic island they went for an overtake, then swung round to the left as though I wasn't there. I was not intending to go left.:angry: I don't often yell at motorists but I did this one.

Yeaton, Walford Heath and Merrington were up next. I paused for a bite to eat in a gateway with a view then carried on to Plex, Hadnall, Astley, Haughton and Upton Magna. On the previous attempt I was starting to struggle with the saddle by this point but no issues on this bike, which make it possible to enjoy this section more. The cafe at The Haughmond Inn is open for takeaways and a group of cyclists were gathered making the most of this. It did look odd to see them standing so far apart to chat.

At Atcham there were people on the little shingle beach and I notice that a tree has come down since I was last here - fortunately falling into the river. I got along fairly well through Cross Houses, Berrington, the King Street crossroads, then turning south for Cantlop, Acton Burnell and heading for the climb to Folly Bank. I hadn't seen very many cyclists out so far but started to notice more on this stretch. Another snack stop was taken at the foot of the climb then I gently plodded my way up, getting overtaken by a guy on a gravel bike who left me behind very rapidly.

Cardington, Gretton, Longville and Hughley were next up. I was swinging round to head back north again and into a strengthening headwind. Fortunately this was offset by the gradient mostly being in my favour. From Hughley I headed through Kenley Common and in the direction of Harley, which I shy away from at the last moment to head back towards Harnage Grange, Harnage, Cound, and back to Berrington. It was mostly uneventful along this stretch apart from meeting a couple of motorists who could have been in a little less of a rush. The climb to Harnage was slower than I've been used to due to the extra miles in the legs and I had to slow for a vehicle down the other side. The flag of the day at Cound was the Royal Standard - Her Majesty must be in. :whistle:

At the A458 junction another cyclist was stopped opposite to take a phone call. Personally I'd have got off the carriageway for that.:ohmy: I was only on this road for a very short stretch this time, aiming for the lane that goes straight to Berrington. I was glad I had gone this way as I could see that there were traffic lights and a big queue just beyond where I turned off. I also couldn't help noticing that the white Lamborgini that had overtaken me just before I turned off only had one brake light working - it's as if if the driver wanted to be a police magnet.:laugh:

Back at the King Street crossroads I headed for Condover this time. Another rider overtook with a friendy greeting here and again disappeared off into the distance. I saw a few more cyclists on the way through Condover then at Ryton paused at the viewpoint for my lunch. Another rider was just preparing to set off from there when I arrived and we had a brief chat - he was headed for Church Stretton.

For much of the ride I'd been worried about whether this route would actually be the distance I needed for my challenge. As I headed to Longnor, Acton Burnell and Cressage I got more confident that I'd judged it right and that I should have a little to spare so shouldn't need to be adding any extra bits near the end. The legs were tired and the saddle feeling a bit firm now so I was quite slow up the climb through Eaton Constantine and Uppington. The descent along Bluebell Lane was into the wind but seeing another rider ahead my enthusiasm spurred me on to get down on the drops and give chase. I did catch and pass them before the end of the lane and then ruined my illusions by fluffing the down shift and having to scoot over the crossroads by foot.:shy:

The worst of the day's undulation were now over and all I had to do was get home. I did take the longer way to Withington (just because) and plodded my way back to Upton Magna, Atcham (the little beach was very popular by this point) and Cross Houses. At the traffic island the approach was wet, which it hadn't been earlier and as I pulled onto the island my back wheel stepped sideways suddenly which was a bit of a shock. I took it carefully for a while and wondered if it had been a diesel spillage but it evaporated off the tyres quite quickly and I didn't notice an oily smell.:scratch:

A last snack stop would probably have been a good idea but when the cyclist I'd been deliberately avoiding overtaking pulled into the very gateway I'd been thinking of stopping in, I thought I'd rather just have the last swig of water and keep going. (Not feeling chatty by this point).

The last stretch from Condover to the main road was into the wind but by making use of the drops I kept the cruising speed up around 15mph.

Job done with 103.34 miles at 13.9 mph average and never more than about 12 miles from home. Overall time with the stops was approx 8 hours and 45 minutes.

A little out of focus but does show off how nice it was early on. Taken at Arscott.

At Yeaton.

The view to the Breidden from my first snack stop near Bomere Heath.

Atcham. That tree was still standing when I was last here.

Second food stop before tackling the climb to Folly Bank. Caer Caradoc in the background.

Approaching Berrington for the second time this trip.

Lunch stop at Ryton. Don't know why, but the camera was convinced it needed the flash for this one.

Looking to the Wrekin from near Acton Burnell.

A pause for a drink on the way to Uppington.

Also from near Uppington, a view to the Haughmond (right of shot).

a short spin to awaken the old legs as its over 2 weeks since last trip out ..over to Barnard castle did not see any sign of DC ..:laugh:
and back by my normal lanes ... lots more traffic about today ..grrrrrr .... 43 miles
https://www.strava.com/activities/3547188487
View attachment 526811

View attachment 526813

View attachment 526814

View attachment 526815

View attachment 526816
I thought I recognised the bridge over the Tees at Whorlton, been over there a few times when we have stayed not far away from there. Nice to see it with blue sky as well. The last time we stayed near there we had gales (Sept 2018).

theloafer

Legendary Member
I thought I recognised the bridge over the Tees at Whorlton, been over there a few times when we have stayed not far away from there. Nice to see it with blue sky as well. The last time we stayed near there we had gales (Sept 2018).

its on my main ride loop .a round about 40 miles
if i call in at Barny for a bacon butty and coffee..a fav bridge of mine ^_^

GetFatty

Über Member
Been going to Biggin Hill every day this week to get fit. On the commuting bike at the mo which is flipping heavy but the rides have been good. One numpty bus driver this morning in Bromley. She was at the bus stop so I indicated and started to pass. She waited until I was level with her window before pulling away from the bus stop and keeping speed so I couldn't get back into my lane. Some choice words were said

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another utility ride today on the hybrid, needed some groceries, so a round trip to Didcot. Blumen windy on the way out, and a cross/tailwind on the way back. It’s trying to rain today but it’s not doing it properly, it’s the annoying type of rain, the sort you can feel but it ain’t making anything wet.
6.26 miles, another journey when at one time I would have used my car.

footloose crow

Über Member
3 June Coast 2 Coast

I sing to myself when cycling. I usually can't remember the correct words - or change them - and sing the same verse over and over. Not very loud. That would require a greater allocation of breath than I have.

Today was a song from before I was born. How do these songs seep into your consciousness? It was written by two guys in Nashville Prison apparently and sung by Johnnie Ray.

Just cycling in the rain
Getting soaking wet
Torturing my heart
By trying to set a Strava PB

I may have some of the words wrong. The corona spring has ended here in the far south west tip anyway and today is gloom and patches of drizzle. Not rain really. And I am not soaking wet. But round it went, over and over in my head for two and a half hours.

The plan is to cycle into the wind first so I head for Perranporth through green hued light beneath overhanging trees and then up onto the high plateau of mid Cornwall before plunging down to the sea. The lanes are narrow anyway and the profuse growth of campion, cow parsley, nettle and bramble, sycamore and ash along the hedgerows has made a bike width just right for navigation. I brush the hedges' grasping hands as I lean the bike around bends, the ferns and flowers grazing my neck and shoulders. Don't think about cars coming the other way - just listen carefully and enjoy the rush of moving fast and being at one with the bike.

The wind is moving the branches high up in the surrounding oaks and beeches but down here deep inside the tall hedges I am hardly aware of it. It is only when I crest a hill that I feel the full force of the northerly and pull the zip even higher on my top and hunch over the bars. There are days when hills feel hard and days when they feel really hard. Today is just hard. Focusing on the road a few feet ahead, mind in neutral and spin as I used to plod up Alpine mountains kicking steps in the snow, brain in neutral. Best not to look ahead and see what is left of the hill. Stay in the moment, lungs burning, mouth open, calves complaining. The summits arrive more quickly that way and then it is onto the drops, hands off the brakes, my new gravel tyres that spread from fork to fork with hardly a gap just roll over everything, absorbing the hurt the road wants to give me without passing it on. Lean left or right and the bike follows the apex of the bend smoothly. I love this.

Perranporth is empty again. The cold wind has kept visitors away. That and the 6am knock from the police on the windows and doors of vans and motorhomes that were parked here last week. The lifeguards are back and I am pleased because these Cornish beaches are dangerous. Once you have been pulled by a rip into the break zone of six to eight foot waves, pushed down to the sea bottom, mouth filled with water, not sure which way is up, coming up for air just in time to be rolled over again by the next set, you really appreciate the helping hand of a lifeguard.

Gravel tyres work on sand too

Perranporth marks the first coast and as far into the wind as I want to go. Now I can run down the coast to St Agnes with the wind behind me although there are no coastal views, just Cornish lanes twisting and turning, rising and falling with one sharp ascent of 10%. In and out of St Agnes, no time to stop. The sky has turned black and rain is beginning. The north wind trying to find the gap between the arm warmers and sleeves. And succeeding.

Turn south west now away from the north coast with the wind on my starboard quarter. A great direction for a sailing boat and quite useful for me. The Bissoe Trail crosses my path and on a whim I turn down it. This is the line of a very old railway. Rails of slate, horse drawn wagons. Once this valley was the richest in the world with copper, tin and silver and lead being mined and taken to the coast for export. Now the mining path and railway is a rough cycle trail. Some of it is gravel, some of it is quite rocky with large stones and tricky drops. A good test for my new tyres and they are fine. The frame tells me that it is not a gravel design and creaks and ticks and rattles. I could slow down but the trail is empty and I don't. Speed is the drug.

The better bit of the trail. I didn't stop on the worse bits.

On behalf of Cornish Tourism here is a public service announcement. The Bissoe Trail runs from the south to the north coast (and vice versa) and is 11 miles each way. There are tea shops, cafes and ice creams at both ends plus a lovely beach at Portreath. I reckon it will all be open on the 1 July. Best on a mountain bike or hybrid.

Off the trail now and into the creekside village of Devoran for a rest on a bench and a biscuit. It has all gone rather well today so far but then I have had the wind behind me and been going downhill for the last 30 minutes. It won't last.

Lets follow the single track lane that itself follows the edge of Restronguet Creek, opening up views across the mud flats exposed by the retreating tide and in the distance a faint glint from a grey sea. The lane is quiet today and with the wind on my back for a while longer I can hit mid 20s, exulting in the ease of the cycling. Restronguet Creek runs into the Carrick Roads that is part of Falmouth Harbour and then comes the open Atlantic. I can't see the open sea but I know it is only a mile away and I am content that I have reached the south coast.

I have forgotten the steep slope and subsequent long uphill that follows and the wind is no longer my friend. Bottom gear, focus on the road a few feet in front of the wheel again, startled by a shout from some runners I didn't see or hear. I need to look further ahead but when I do, my heart sinks as the road increases in gradient and disappears behind a bend. Above me the trees are swaying to a tune that I cannot hear. I am still singing Cycling in the rain to the rhythm of my thighs as they dip and rise to the level of the cross bar.

A long steep downhill, hands off the brakes, frame vibrating from the chip and seal surface, crashing on small potholes that my retinas fail to see as the light switches from under tree gloom to open sky brightness. I try to relax my arms but it is hard when you need to hang onto the bars to avoid being thrown off. Eventually I brake.

Another steep uphill follows touching 15% and then downhill into Truro. Bars of sunlight appear between clouds now and the roads are drying. I have had enough for today though and have passed the symbolic 50k/32 mile point already. Through the busy Truro traffic and up Tregolls Hill once again and home. Tomorrow promises to be even windier as does the forecast through to Sunday. Down in the hedges I seem to be able to avoid the wind. I wish I could avoid the hills so easily.

ruffers

Veteran
3 June Coast 2 Coast

I sing to myself when cycling. I usually can't remember the correct words - or change them - and sing the same verse over and over. Not very loud. That would require a greater allocation of breath than I have.

Today was a song from before I was born. How do these songs seep into your consciousness? It was written by two guys in Nashville Prison apparently and sung by Johnnie Ray.

Just cycling in the rain
Getting soaking wet
Torturing my heart
By trying to set a Strava PB

I may have some of the words wrong. The corona spring has ended here in the far south west tip anyway and today is gloom and patches of drizzle. Not rain really. And I am not soaking wet. But round it went, over and over in my head for two and a half hours.

The plan is to cycle into the wind first so I head for Perranporth through green hued light beneath overhanging trees and then up onto the high plateau of mid Cornwall before plunging down to the sea. The lanes are narrow anyway and the profuse growth of campion, cow parsley, nettle and bramble, sycamore and ash along the hedgerows has made a bike width just right for navigation. I brush the hedges' grasping hands as I lean the bike around bends, the ferns and flowers grazing my neck and shoulders. Don't think about cars coming the other way - just listen carefully and enjoy the rush of moving fast and being at one with the bike.

The wind is moving the branches high up in the surrounding oaks and beeches but down here deep inside the tall hedges I am hardly aware of it. It is only when I crest a hill that I feel the full force of the northerly and pull the zip even higher on my top and hunch over the bars. There are days when hills feel hard and days when they feel really hard. Today is just hard. Focusing on the road a few feet ahead, mind in neutral and spin as I used to plod up Alpine mountains kicking steps in the snow, brain in neutral. Best not to look ahead and see what is left of the hill. Stay in the moment, lungs burning, mouth open, calves complaining. The summits arrive more quickly that way and then it is onto the drops, hands off the brakes, my new gravel tyres that spread from fork to fork with hardly a gap just roll over everything, absorbing the hurt the road wants to give me without passing it on. Lean left or right and the bike follows the apex of the bend smoothly. I love this.

View attachment 527255

Perranporth is empty again. The cold wind has kept visitors away. That and the 6am knock from the police on the windows and doors of vans and motorhomes that were parked here last week. The lifeguards are back and I am pleased because these Cornish beaches are dangerous. Once you have been pulled by a rip into the break zone of six to eight foot waves, pushed down to the sea bottom, mouth filled with water, not sure which way is up, coming up for air just in time to be rolled over again by the next set, you really appreciate the helping hand of a lifeguard.

View attachment 527256
Gravel tyres work on sand too

Perranporth marks the first coast and as far into the wind as I want to go. Now I can run down the coast to St Agnes with the wind behind me although there are no coastal views, just Cornish lanes twisting and turning, rising and falling with one sharp ascent of 10%. In and out of St Agnes, no time to stop. The sky has turned black and rain is beginning. The north wind trying to find the gap between the arm warmers and sleeves. And succeeding.

Turn south west now away from the north coast with the wind on my starboard quarter. A great direction for a sailing boat and quite useful for me. The Bissoe Trail crosses my path and on a whim I turn down it. This is the line of a very old railway. Rails of slate, horse drawn wagons. Once this valley was the richest in the world with copper, tin and silver and lead being mined and taken to the coast for export. Now the mining path and railway is a rough cycle trail. Some of it is gravel, some of it is quite rocky with large stones and tricky drops. A good test for my new tyres and they are fine. The frame tells me that it is not a gravel design and creaks and ticks and rattles. I could slow down but the trail is empty and I don't. Speed is the drug.

View attachment 527259
The better bit of the trail. I didn't stop on the worse bits.

On behalf of Cornish Tourism here is a public service announcement. The Bissoe Trail runs from the south to the north coast (and vice versa) and is 11 miles each way. There are tea shops, cafes and ice creams at both ends plus a lovely beach at Portreath. I reckon it will all be open on the 1 July. Best on a mountain bike or hybrid.

Off the trail now and into the creekside village of Devoran for a rest on a bench and a biscuit. It has all gone rather well today so far but then I have had the wind behind me and been going downhill for the last 30 minutes. It won't last.

View attachment 527260

Lets follow the single track lane that itself follows the edge of Restronguet Creek, opening up views across the mud flats exposed by the retreating tide and in the distance a faint glint from a grey sea. The lane is quiet today and with the wind on my back for a while longer I can hit mid 20s, exulting in the ease of the cycling. Restronguet Creek runs into the Carrick Roads that is part of Falmouth Harbour and then comes the open Atlantic. I can't see the open sea but I know it is only a mile away and I am content that I have reached the south coast.

View attachment 527261

I have forgotten the steep slope and subsequent long uphill that follows and the wind is no longer my friend. Bottom gear, focus on the road a few feet in front of the wheel again, startled by a shout from some runners I didn't see or hear. I need to look further ahead but when I do, my heart sinks as the road increases in gradient and disappears behind a bend. Above me the trees are swaying to a tune that I cannot hear. I am still singing Cycling in the rain to the rhythm of my thighs as they dip and rise to the level of the cross bar.

A long steep downhill, hands off the brakes, frame vibrating from the chip and seal surface, crashing on small potholes that my retinas fail to see as the light switches from under tree gloom to open sky brightness. I try to relax my arms but it is hard when you need to hang onto the bars to avoid being thrown off. Eventually I brake.

Another steep uphill follows touching 15% and then downhill into Truro. Bars of sunlight appear between clouds now and the roads are drying. I have had enough for today though and have passed the symbolic 50k/32 mile point already. Through the busy Truro traffic and up Tregolls Hill once again and home. Tomorrow promises to be even windier as does the forecast through to Sunday. Down in the hedges I seem to be able to avoid the wind. I wish I could avoid the hills so easily.

what a post 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
..... It’s trying to rain today but it’s not doing it properly, it’s the annoying type of rain, the sort you can feel but it ain’t making anything wet....
Funny, I went out for a loop with @Dark46 today in similar conditions, and we both described them as "near perfect". It may have been raining, but only enough to keep you cool, not enough to actually get you wet. I made sure I dried my chain after the ride to avert overnight rusting, but other than that I wasn't bothered at all by the light fret. Did a great little loop taking in Haresfield, Whitminster and the little hamlet called Milton End that I discovered on my last ride. This time there was no white donkey, no bull, no ducks in the pond, but there was a huge, friendly boar and a big Gloucester Old Spot sow with a little group of cute little piglets. Even though we headed back into the wind, this felt a really easy ride, and I was pleased to have completely got rid of my saddle soreness after spending 2 recovery days away from my bike. 26.3 miles in great company.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
I haven't been doing long rides since we went into lockdown. Most of them in fact have only been 15-25 km in length.

Half of these rides are up and down the flattish valley roads on my singlespeed bike.

The other half have been short sharp shocks on my CAAD5, which has gears low enough for me to tackle the brutish climbs which go almost straight up the sides of the Calder Valley. My last 3 rides have each packed about 500 metres of ascent into only about 20 kms. For those of you who don't 'do' metric - about 1,650 ft of climb in 12.5 miles. Yesterday's ride was slightly harder than that - 514 m in 19 kms or 1,685 ft in 11.8 miles.

This evening's ride started off with some flat kms and one moderate hill, but I had a rush of blood to the head as I came into Mytholm** (Hebden Bridge) on the A646. I turned left up Church Lane to tackle the monstrous climb of Mytholm Steeps. How bad is it...? Well, the first km averages 15%! The easy 10% sections are a relief from the 15% ramps which themselves are relief from the 20% ramps, which in fact are easier than the horrid 25% ramp. The climb continues for a long way beyond that ramp but the rest of it feels easy compared to that first tough km.

For obvious reasons, I didn't stop to take photos but this wobbly video taken by someone else lets you see 90% of the climb. If the rider was not on an e-bike then (s)he is bloody fit - I was in survival mode for the entire km. I did the first 800 m as slowly as I could to save myself for the 25% bit but that still hurt a lot! I reckon I was at 90-95% effort there. I don't like to do that final 5% any more - I don't think my ageing heart could take it! :whistle:

Take a scenic trip up the climb and imagine me suffering... :okay:

** NOT Mytholmroyd, of flooding fame! Mytholm is on the Todmorden side of Hebden Bridge rather than a few kms further along the valley on the Halifax side.

Nice one Colin. Not many videos give a true impression of how hard a climb is.
I think that one does.

You will have to include Mytholm Steeps on one of your rides.:smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Damp day today. It looked like the light showers would ease in the afternoon so I headed out for the standard Ashleworth loop into a minor bit of wet. Blimey the roads were slippy. Just enough wet to make them iffy but nowhere near enough to wash them properly. No riders about today and little traffic. Bit of a head wind on the return leg but all good in the end. 47 smiles

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The forecast rain failed to appear and it turned out to be quite a nice afternoon here instead. Too nice to waste at home so I did a bottlebank run and a bit of shopping on the Bootzipper. Out over the rail line and along Blofield Track to Walton and up into Felixstowe where the backpack was emptied of various bottles, then a tour of Felixstowe before heading back inland and a mixture of on & off road routes through Falkenham, Kirton, Bucklesham and into Ipswich for the shopping - some rolls & filling for dinner from Lidl. Then home again through Nacton & Levington after a nice, relaxed 32 miles & 2.5 hours out.

Screenshot_2020-06-03 Bottle bank shopping Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-06-03 Bottle bank shopping Ride Strava(1).png

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yesterday's ride:

After three days off the bikes resting I had another go at the challenge ride. I was up early and out on the road before 7am with the Galaxy this time. Sunscreen was remembered so no need to turn back.:okay:

It was a great morning and pleasantly warm right from the start. I had a bit of a moment less than three miles in when, turning into a junction, I went wide to avoid cornering over a drain cover only to find the loose gravel instead. The front wheel washed out but luckily I was going slow and got a foot down quick which stopped me from ending up on the deck. That made me a little wary for the rest of the ride.

Pushing on through Exford's Green and Arscott I varied the route from last time by heading to Shorthill and Nox where I took a lane I've never been along before. Apart from an unexpectedly steep climb out of Nox and a bad surface under some trees it was a pleasant place to ride and I noticed there is a cafe at a campsite en-route which might be nice to try when the current crisis is over.

This lane brought me out near Shoot Hill and back onto the route from last time to Ford, Montford Bridge, Shrawardine, Wilcott, Great Ness and Baschurch. The short stretch on the A458 was slightly less busy than last time (the advantage of not losing half an hour going back for stuff). The lanes through Shrawardine were as quiet as expected but the road to Great Ness and Baschurch was surprisingly busy making it a bit stop-start as I met large vehicles. Leaving Baschurch I encountered the moron of the day; As I was about to take my position approaching a traffic island they went for an overtake, then swung round to the left as though I wasn't there. I was not intending to go left.:angry: I don't often yell at motorists but I did this one.

Yeaton, Walford Heath and Merrington were up next. I paused for a bite to eat in a gateway with a view then carried on to Plex, Hadnall, Astley, Haughton and Upton Magna. On the previous attempt I was starting to struggle with the saddle by this point but no issues on this bike, which make it possible to enjoy this section more. The cafe at The Haughmond Inn is open for takeaways and a group of cyclists were gathered making the most of this. It did look odd to see them standing so far apart to chat.

At Atcham there were people on the little shingle beach and I notice that a tree has come down since I was last here - fortunately falling into the river. I got along fairly well through Cross Houses, Berrington, the King Street crossroads, then turning south for Cantlop, Acton Burnell and heading for the climb to Folly Bank. I hadn't seen very many cyclists out so far but started to notice more on this stretch. Another snack stop was taken at the foot of the climb then I gently plodded my way up, getting overtaken by a guy on a gravel bike who left me behind very rapidly.

Cardington, Gretton, Longville and Hughley were next up. I was swinging round to head back north again and into a strengthening headwind. Fortunately this was offset by the gradient mostly being in my favour. From Hughley I headed through Kenley Common and in the direction of Harley, which I shy away from at the last moment to head back towards Harnage Grange, Harnage, Cound, and back to Berrington. It was mostly uneventful along this stretch apart from meeting a couple of motorists who could have been in a little less of a rush. The climb to Harnage was slower than I've been used to due to the extra miles in the legs and I had to slow for a vehicle down the other side. The flag of the day at Cound was the Royal Standard - Her Majesty must be in. :whistle:

At the A458 junction another cyclist was stopped opposite to take a phone call. Personally I'd have got off the carriageway for that.:ohmy: I was only on this road for a very short stretch this time, aiming for the lane that goes straight to Berrington. I was glad I had gone this way as I could see that there were traffic lights and a big queue just beyond where I turned off. I also couldn't help noticing that the white Lamborgini that had overtaken me just before I turned off only had one brake light working - it's as if if the driver wanted to be a police magnet.:laugh:

Back at the King Street crossroads I headed for Condover this time. Another rider overtook with a friendy greeting here and again disappeared off into the distance. I saw a few more cyclists on the way through Condover then at Ryton paused at the viewpoint for my lunch. Another rider was just preparing to set off from there when I arrived and we had a brief chat - he was headed for Church Stretton.

For much of the ride I'd been worried about whether this route would actually be the distance I needed for my challenge. As I headed to Longnor, Acton Burnell and Cressage I got more confident that I'd judged it right and that I should have a little to spare so shouldn't need to be adding any extra bits near the end. The legs were tired and the saddle feeling a bit firm now so I was quite slow up the climb through Eaton Constantine and Uppington. The descent along Bluebell Lane was into the wind but seeing another rider ahead my enthusiasm spurred me on to get down on the drops and give chase. I did catch and pass them before the end of the lane and then ruined my illusions by fluffing the down shift and having to scoot over the crossroads by foot.:shy:

The worst of the day's undulation were now over and all I had to do was get home. I did take the longer way to Withington (just because) and plodded my way back to Upton Magna, Atcham (the little beach was very popular by this point) and Cross Houses. At the traffic island the approach was wet, which it hadn't been earlier and as I pulled onto the island my back wheel stepped sideways suddenly which was a bit of a shock. I took it carefully for a while and wondered if it had been a diesel spillage but it evaporated off the tyres quite quickly and I didn't notice an oily smell.:scratch:

A last snack stop would probably have been a good idea but when the cyclist I'd been deliberately avoiding overtaking pulled into the very gateway I'd been thinking of stopping in, I thought I'd rather just have the last swig of water and keep going. (Not feeling chatty by this point).

The last stretch from Condover to the main road was into the wind but by making use of the drops I kept the cruising speed up around 15mph.

Job done with 103.34 miles at 13.9 mph average and never more than about 12 miles from home. Overall time with the stops was approx 8 hours and 45 minutes.

View attachment 527208
A little out of focus but does show off how nice it was early on. Taken at Arscott.

View attachment 527209
At Yeaton.

View attachment 527210
The view to the Breidden from my first snack stop near Bomere Heath.

View attachment 527211
Atcham. That tree was still standing when I was last here.

View attachment 527212
Second food stop before tackling the climb to Folly Bank. Caer Caradoc in the background.

View attachment 527213
Approaching Berrington for the second time this trip.

View attachment 527214
Lunch stop at Ryton. Don't know why, but the camera was convinced it needed the flash for this one.

View attachment 527215
Looking to the Wrekin from near Acton Burnell.

View attachment 527216
A pause for a drink on the way to Uppington.

View attachment 527217
Also from near Uppington, a view to the Haughmond (right of shot).
Epic work - well done :becool:

Awaking to the grey sky and sporadic rain outside the window today burst the bubble of two months of cycling utopia. Browsing the news over breakfast only served to reinforce my existing misanthropy; the disgusting, selfish actions of a diverse cross-section of society appearing even more stark against the background of the genuine solidarity that seems to have bloomed in the face of the virus; now replaced once more by division, irrationality and hate.

My "day off" was spent elongated on the sofa; deflated, totally unproductive, learning many new reasons to be ashamed to be human and eating my own body weight in pork scratchings and chocolate :rolleyes:

The only apparent saving grace of the change in the weather was the fresh rainy scent drifting in from outside and by the time I'd eaten dinner I was thoroughly sick of my little box of misery so headed out for a quick spin on the CdF.

Despite yesterday's 50-miler my legs felt good; probably due to its sedate pace, post-ride stretching and improved fitness. With Alice in Chains' Facelift providing the soundtrack I headed down into town, south along NCR5 and found myself on the Thames path heading towards Abingdon.

Given my mood this was an exercise in defiance - attacking the pretty horrible surface of the first stretch and resulting in aching fingers and the loss of yesterday's DIY water bottle; requiring a fair stretch to be re-covered to find and collect it. I still had the biden containing yesterday's impromptu weak lemon drink in my rucksack so ditched its contents, half-filled it from my flighty placcy bottle and put the previously polluted recepticle in the cage as it was far more secure than its DIY counterpart.. thankfully the taste of the washing up liquid went with the bottle's previous contents and I was back on my way.

The perpetual threat of rain was reminded by the dark clouds rolling across in front of me, which combining with the gusting wind served to further intensify the atmosphere and draw me closer..

Image043.jpg

By the time I'd got to the boat house the weather front had moved on somewhat and the sky in front of me looked a little more optimistic, if still uncertain..

Image042.jpg

A few miles later I'd run out of Alice in Chains so I popped out the headphones and contented myself with the sounds of the wind in the trees around me and crunching loose, dry earth beneath my tyres :smile:

Arriving in Abingdon I doubled back along the cycle path; which was blissfully completely empty - another benefit of the change in weather. Smashing it along this relatively smooth surface felt good; my legs strong and no doubt well-fulled thanks to today's gluttony.

I headed back to Kennington through Radley and then across to Sandford; by which time it was getting convincingly dark so I cracked out the head torch and fired up the rear light. Onward to Iffley then back through town and home.

By the end I'd done a bit over 23 miles and 300-odd feet at 13.4mph and 137bpm. I'm glad I went out but tbh am still restless and to an extent feel like I've not quite done enough to thrash myself better (EDIT: after a shower and writing this post I now feel appropriately rinsed :tongue: ). I apparently expended around 1100kcal so that should at least offset a decent chunk of today's comfort eating.

This ride has served to remind me of the value of evening / night excursions and how much nicer the world is when you're not forced to endure the presence of others so I'll be looking towards more in future - especially as the post-lockdown muppets are increasingly taking back the streets during the day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom