Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have thought about organising a post-viral tour of the tough climbs around Hebden Bridge and Todmorden. I think I saved a GPX file somewhere. I'll search for it later.
Found it... Extremely tough! A guesstimated 2,500 metres of climbing in 104 kms (8,200 ft in 65 miles), much of it at 10%, 15%, 20% and even some 25%. I just rerouted it slightly to reduce the climbing to that total, and to include a cafe stop just over half way through.

The profile looks like this (cafe stop shown by red spot)...

Calder Killer profile.png

Something to 'look forward to' at a more sociably responsible post-virus time...? :whistle:

colly

Re member eR
Found it... Extremely tough! A guesstimated 2,500 metres of climbing in 104 kms (8,200 ft in 65 miles), much of it at 10%, 15%, 20% and even some 25%. I just rerouted it slightly to reduce the climbing to that total, and to include a cafe stop just over half way through.

The profile looks like this (cafe stop shown by red spot)...

View attachment 527363

Something to 'look forward to' at a more sociably responsible post-virus time...? :whistle:
Yes well.............if the virus doesn't get you this should finish you off nicely.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You may recall dear reader that the other day I rode to Wallingford where the Empress Matilda was ensconced when she escaped from Oxford Castle. Well, my ride today took me amongst other places to Sutton Courtenay, where it may interest you to know it is believed that the young Matilda was born in the Manor. She was the great Granddaughter of William the conqueror you know, her first husband was the Holy Roman Emperor Henry, when he kicked the bucket leaving her without issue at the age of 26, she married Geoffrey of Anjou, who was 15 and with whom she had a load of kids including Richard the 1st & King John.

I also visited church graveyard in this idyllic English village and there lies the body of Eric Arthur Blair, better known to you as George Orwell.

also

Herbert Henry Asquith, who, as you jolly we’ll know was a British statesman and Liberal politician who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1908 to 1916. So quite a busy old place was Sutton Courtenay.

A threat of rain in Moreton.

I love the brickwork on this old barn

Yet another photo of Wittenham Clumps

The Norman Hall adjacent to the Manor.

Got to have George’s grave in B&W really.

HH Asquiths rather grand tomb.

A nice 21 miles but a bit cold and the ol’ current bun has gone AWOL. Still, at least it didn’t rain. Roads have got busier though and a lot twuntish driving.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out for a spin this afternoon on the Raleigh using my Condover, Atcham, Upton Magna, Walcot, Eaton Constantine, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Condover route.

The legs haven't recovered from the last ride just yet as was shown very quickly as I climbed Lyth Hill at the start. Dropping down to Condover though they started to loosen up and I got along at quite a good pace to Berrington and Cross Houses. Turning off at the island in Cross Houses it looks like it was diesel that I rolled through that made the back tyre lose traction last time. There is a very clear oily residue left all across that side of the junction - that must have been a bit dicey in the rain yesterday.:ohmy:

I'd expected a headwind on the way to Atcham and Upton Magna but it wasn't too bad. I was noticing though that after riding the Galaxy last, the saddle on the Raleigh now didn't feel quite right (a bit too far back) so paused for an adjustment. From Upton Magna the wind was clearly helping as I fairly flew along. I overtook some other cyclists and made good progress through Withington and on towards Walcot. A rather large pickup was getting a shift on along this lane and I was glad to meet it just at a passing place.

Bluebell Lane is a steady climb in this direction and I'd hoped the wind would help but it didn't seem to much. I let an HGV with trailer pass on the way to Eaton Constantine then almost immediately regretted it as it kept having to stop to squeeze past other vehicles. They were much quicker than me when the road opened up though. The temporary lights at Cressage Bridge have been against me every time I've been this way lately and were again today. Someone has had a moment on the corner and ploughed through the line of cones on the bridge.

I was flagging a little on the climb up Shore Lane then had the wind against me much of the way to Acton Burnell. To my annoyance it stayed a headwind to Longnor (I thought it was supposed to be a north-westerley :dry:) and was still in my face as I turned back northwards.:wacko:

Another minor saddle adjustment at Condover seemed to help on the last bit. We'll see whether I still think that next ride.;) The Team Pro was always quite sensitive to adjustment so I don't expect it to be right straight off.

I'd been through a few small showers on the way round and could see more dark clouds up ahead as I headed homewards. I did beat the rain by a few minutes and was glad I did as it was quite heavy and lasted a while

35.1 miles at 14.9 mph average. Not as many cyclists out today due to the cooler weather but still good to see.:okay:

Crossing the River Tern at Walcot.

The road to the Wrekin at Uppington.

A slight deviation to a gate with a view near Longnor.

You may recall dear reader that the other day I rode to Wallingford where the Empress Matilda was ensconced when she escaped from Oxford Castle. Well, my ride today took me amongst other places to Sutton Courtenay, where it may interest you to know it is believed that the young Matilda was born in the Manor. She was the great Granddaughter of William the conqueror you know, her first husband was the Holy Roman Emperor Henry, when he kicked the bucket leaving her without issue at the age of 26, she married Geoffrey of Anjou, who was 15 and with whom she had a load of kids including Richard the 1st & King John.

I also visited church graveyard in this idyllic English village and there lies the body of Eric Arthur Blair, better known to you as George Orwell.

also

Herbert Henry Asquith, who, as you jolly we’ll know was a British statesman and Liberal politician who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1908 to 1916. So quite a busy old place was Sutton Courtenay.
View attachment 527446
A threat of rain in Moreton.

View attachment 527447
I love the brickwork on this old barn
View attachment 527448
Yet another photo of Wittenham Clumps
View attachment 527449
The Norman Hall adjacent to the Manor.
View attachment 527450
Got to have George’s grave in B&W really.
View attachment 527451
HH Asquiths rather grand tomb.

A nice 21 miles but a bit cold and the ol’ current bun has gone AWOL. Still, at least it didn’t rain. Roads have got busier though and a lot twuntish driving.
View attachment 527457
Did you notice the grave of David Astor behind Eric Blair`s grave ? David Astor was the third child of Waldorf Astor and Nancy Witcher Langthorne, so I have just read. So even more history there.

Yes I did see it, and photographed it, but it was blurred so I deleted it. There’s quit a few we’ll known people in that churchyard.
Thanks for all that history, I really enjoyed reading about it. I had`nt realised about the Astor connection. I had seen something a month or so back about the Astor`s, perhaps on one of the antiques programs. Seeing your photo prompted me to look them up.

Old jon

Guru
Ah, splittery splattery rain outside. But, by the time I am ready to pedal, there is blue sky visible. Between the rainclouds. I rode the fixed away, but should have thought a bit first.

A painful Achilles tendon put me off riding on Wednesday, so I was not going to wimp out this morning, but I really should have thought a bit. Before reaching Holbeck the decision was made to ride down the side of the Aire, ‘cos it is rather flat that way and leaving home at seven it should also be quiet. So, into the wilds of Hunslet and find Crown Point Road is still closed. Further on then, to Old Mill Lane which goes to the riverside and a convenient bridge to reach the other side.

Ride downstream, past Thwaites Mill to Skelton Bridge. Not sure about the name, but cross the canal here, the path ( wow, it’s the Transpennine Trail ) is now between river and canal until Fishpond Lock is reached. Cross the canal there or ride on mud to Woodlesford. On my tyres, cross the canal. Through Woodlesford and on to Lemonroyd Marina. The world is waking up and moving about a bit now, traffic on the bridges I ride under.

After the next lock canal and river share a single waterway again. The trail goes on and I took the next bridge across, sort of by Methley. Keep riding downstream, thinking ‘Do I really want to go as far as Allerton Bywater?’ Not really, a bit further along, the far end of Mickletown, is another bridge. And another decision. OK, ride home on the same tracks. Scenery looks different from the other side, a few dog walkers were about and an occasional cyclist travelling in the opposite direction. Home after twenty steady miles, very pleasant, and a grin ‘cos the heel feels, umm, reasonable.

Absolutely forgot the video, the elevation thing is just about a straight line, and the map, well, see for yourselves . . .

05062020.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Went up to The Ridgeway again today on the mountain bike (it’s never been anywhere near a mountain never mind up one) .

The Ridgeway is said to be Britain’s oldest road having been in use for at least 5000 years, it used run from Devon to the Norfolk coast, today it forms part of a national trail from Avebury in Wiltshire to the Ivinghoe Beacon in Buckinghamshire about 87 miles.

Anyway I can join it at about three miles away from here and today I only rode about eight miles of it, when I got to a Streatley I headed roughly in the direction of home, visiting the Thames at Moulsford at The Beetle and Wedge by the stretch of river immortalised in The Wind in the Willows, and Jerome K Jerome’s Three Men in a Boat. A beetle, is an old term for a maul (or hammer) used with a wedge to split wood.

From there I went to Cholsey, and along one of the off road bridleways/byways that are prevalent around here back home.

A much nicer day today but very windy. A smidge over 19 miles.

The Beetle & Wedge

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
John B and Pete M turned up for a socially distanced ride. Mrs 26 joined in too. We took the easy way to Martley where Mrs 26 peeled off for her own route homeward. At Stanford John headed back as he wasn't feeling too good. At Eastham we headed for a new lane by Frith Common. Nice lane for sure. Dropping through Mamble we aimed at Neen Sollers and Milson. Then at Hints I recognised the climb over the Common and up to the main road. We had to drop away a bit to take the lane by Dhustone to the summit of Clee Hill and the radar golf balls on the top. We found a fairly sheltered spot for our sarnie munching and to admire the stunning views. We began our return by dropping steeply to Bedlam and more steep descending to eventually bring us out on the main road. We were only had yards of that till we could turn for Knowbury and then take another fast downhill to Caynham. I was back on known territory now as we crossed the Teme at Little Hereford and climbed to Leysters and on to Bockleton. It was fairly straightforward for Bromyard and the Frome Valley before climbing out for the run back along the Leigh Brook.
We rode through some stunningly scenic countryside today. The gusty and strong wind made things quite difficult at times. My back played up painfully today which limited my pace on the hills. But those views from Clee Hill were just amazing. 82 smiles and a goodly amount of climbing over 7,000 feet.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today's ride was to be another utility trip to the homestead, via the now standard route made up mostly of NCR5.

I intended to leave at about 16:00 as this was when the chance of rain was forecast to be lowest; however as the afternoon rolled on the changing forecast, sporadic showers and ominous clouds in the general direction I was heading meant I ended up sat on my hands for a few hours. During this time I used a freshly-found piece of software to download all of Thomas H's epic Techno mixes from Youtube for the journey :smile:

Forecast said rain at 18:00 and all good by 19:00, however it looked clear at 18:00 so I chanced it.

Not in the best of moods I rolled into town to get some cash; thankfully the smackhead who approached me while I was waiting for the machine to spit out my slavery-tokens kept her distance and gave up on her pitch when she saw I'd got headphones in. Not feeling very charitable currently and I'm certainly not going to give money away only to go straight into the pocket of some scumbag heroin dealer.

Headed north out of town with the strong gusting wind mostly across me, but with a reasonable 12 O'clock component too. Mixed it up with what few cars there were over the Peartree roundabout as the cycle paths are sh*te and I resent getting off every two minutes to cross the carriageways.

By the time I'd got to Woodstock I'd become consciously aware of how nasty my drivetrain felt - as soon as acknowledgement of this fact ascended beyond my lizard brain I instantly hit the brakes and checked my rear derailleur. Sure enough after waxing the chain yesterday I'd yet again managed to route it outside the retaining tab on the cage :rolleyes:

So now I was stuck with a bike that I needed to fix as riding it any further would cause more damage to the cage. In the end I managed to split the KMC link by holding it above / resting one hand on the chainstay while gripping the kinked chain and applying downward load with the 2mm allen key on my multi tool. This wasn't before I'd spent a good few minutes shredding my fingers trying other methods.. at least they'll heal, unlike my RD. On the up-side it only took me 10 miles to realise my cockup this time, what the cage already damaged (although dressed down and re-painted) after my last cockup. I definitely need to create some sort of fail-safe routine whenever I've refitted the chain..

Relieved to be back en-route but still narked at my own stupidity again, I continued along the cycle path. At a break to cross a road some utterly selfish prick had parked their car in the mouth of the opposite path's entrance, blocking it almost completely so one wing mirror got a slap for the priviledge. I was close to letting all the tyres down tbh - wtf is wrong with people?

A bit further down I sounded my bell well ahead of time to make my presence known as I approached a woman and her two tiny fluffball "dogs". She used the advanced warning I'd given her to do precisely sod all, allowing one of the little rats to run right in front of me meaning I had to bother the brakes. To add insult to injury in true tiny dog fashion the gobbly little swine then chased me yapping furiously. In retrospect I wish I'd given it a dousing from my water bottle but thankfully for my rodant-esque foe my brain doesn't work that quickly.

The rest of the journey was fairly uneventful and I managed to avoid the rain save a few spots blown over from a passing black cloud.

All in all 24 miles and 800ft at 13.7mph and 138bpm - significantly more exertion than last time due I suspect to the slight headwind component and my less-than-stellar state of mind; although that's eased a bit now in the afterglow. Finger's crossed the weather holds over the weekend or I'll be stuck in the village of the damned :blink:

Last edited:

C R

Guru
It was windy today, but hadn't done a proper ride all week, so I went out for my Kempsey, Croome, Wadborough loop.

I had the wind against me up to Kempsey, then side/tail to Wadborough, and then again head all the way home, this last bit was hard work. Nice ride, though, and got a photo of my bike with the radio telescope at Defford.

Top Bottom