Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a little short one....

that could be a description of myself!

Just a Battisborough loop really. cold and windy with a few raindrops . How different to last Saturday.

Only one thing of interest, a lady with a pony and trap.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3571441845

ruffers

Veteran
Not much to tell from today’s ride, fancy starting commuting to work so I decided to do a test run. 5.5 miles there, basically through bury up Walmersley road to the quarry, ridiculous head wind nearly all the way
Had a quick brew with my dad and a chat.
Then came home with a great tail wind and long downhill route.
My second outing today with my clip in pedals so again was happy with the performance.
I was back at work this week so not been out as much as previous weeks, but the weather wasn’t the best either.

Happy cycling everyone 🚴🏻👍🏻

Went out shopping today. Of course it rained all morning then stopped just long enough for me to get to the shop, then absolutely widdled it down.

I still only have one bike at the new apartment at the moment so the touring/commuting bike is being a beast of burden:

20200606_152623.jpg

Arriving back at the apartment with some really heavy panniers. That's real door-to-door transport, that is.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Second ride outside since lockdown.

I'm not sure if I'm up to all day rides yet. Using the turbo has left me in good shape, but I'm not sure about endurance. And I'm not sure I even want to ride centuries at the moment so I headed off to the Greensand ridge near Sevenoaks and rode up and down the various hills there for a while.

I went up York's hill, home of the Catford CC Hill Climb which claims to be the oldest cycle race in the world, or something like that. I've not been up there for a while, and this was a reminder why I avoid it. My Garmin was showing 28% near the end. I think that's an over-estimate by a few % points, but it's very, very steep. Phew.

Lovely cycling weather. Sunny at times, but cool. A bit of a breeze but not a howling wind.

Saw lots of groups out and about. One about as many as 12 riders or thereabouts. Lots of groups of four or so.

Willd

Veteran
10 1/2 miles dodging the showers. Was ready to go at 11.30 - rain :stop: gave up, waited until about 1.30, a few small puddles left and a bit gusty, about a mile left very dark clouds and thunder towards home, went as fast as possible, absolutely hissed down about a minute after I got back in the house, sometimes it works in my favour :notworthy:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Windy here again today but not as bad as yesterday and no rain. Just a short ride round the local lanes starting to Northwood, Whixall taking a diversion down Maltkiln Lane to cross the canal over Starks Bridge for a change then rejoining the original lane onto Fenns Wood, Fenns Bank, cross the canal again to Alkington, Tilstock,CotonWood,Coton, Quina Brook, Edstaston, Ryebank Foxholes where I stopped to try and take a picture of all the guinea fowl in the road but they all scattered, back to Northwood and back home just in time to collect our takeaway afternoon tea from the Moatshed. 20.2 miles @16mph. No pictures from the ride but a picture of afternoon tea .
F94F3E83-8670-4587-9D14-86E3D97739FC.jpeg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
With the wind and rain today I wasn't intending to go out. However after a long overdue fettle of the Vodoo there was a long enough gap in the showers for an on & off road circular test ride of just over 10 miles around Trimley St, Mary, Trimley St. Martin, Walton and the back of Felixstowe Docks.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Announced my intention of going out for a pootle at after the showers cleared this evening to my 20yo son. Unusually he indicated he'd like to join his embarrassing aged father and we agreed something flat and easy paced was in order.

Inevitably, a 15 mile time trial immediately ensued as he set off casually above 20mph, followed by my desperate attempt to hold his wheel up one of the more modest local hills. This was accompanied the sound of what I presumed was a steam locomotive attempting to overtake, but turned out to be my lungs on the point of rupture.

The elastic never actually snapped but it was damn close. The worst of it is his languid riding style never varies regardless of effort. Assuming the bugger is actually putting in any effort, that is. Right, I'm knackered. Bed time.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I waited for the morning rain to pass before venturing out. The Dales looked wet so had a ride up onto the limestone of Hutton Roof, before some very minor roads around Farleton fell. Then headed west via Heversham to the coast at Arnside. Although this is a very familiar area I managed to pick out some new roads which always adds to a ride. Two corona cafe stops from my faithful flask in 45 miles with 900m of climbing.

pictures show the church at Hutton Roof and a view toward the Lake District from Sandside.

KingswayRider

Über Member
Odd loop today, taking in roads I don't normally ride...but tricky to describe on the monthly metric challenge page...drawing a line between the places detailed won't add up & it would take me forever to describe every twist & turn. Much more comfortable than last weeks 100k in blazing sun.
Hopefully another 100k next week with @Donger

Anyway, todays meanderings...

https://www.strava.com/activities/3576964092

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today was meant to be a ride with a friend, but he wasn't feeling well this morning, so off I went on my own. I wanted to get another big hill done and get in a few miles before giving blood tomorrow, so I set off for Stroud, where I'd have a choice of valleys to climb. I stopped almost immediately for a chat with a passing clubmate who was just finishing his own ride. Once I got to Stroud, I turned left on a whim and cycled up past the fire station to the maypole at paganhill, where I hung a left for Ruscombe. A little annoyingly, I messed up a gear change of the brutal bottom section of the climb, and ended up pushing the bike for 50 yards or so. Never mind, I was always going to stop a few times at the tops of the little undulating ramps for photo ops. I very often spot deer quite close to the village, but today it was not to be.

The above shot was into the sun, so not so good, but you can just about make out Selsley Church, just below Selsley Common on the opposite side of the valley. This is a great little climb, with superb views across and up the valley towards Whiteshill. In this next shot you can see the upper part of Ruscombe following the road around a bend to the right up above:

The next shot was taken from somewhere near the middle of the line of buildings in the above shot:

.... and yes that is a fig tree .... with figs on it too!
At the top of the village, the lane empties out at a T junction into the village of Whiteshill. My legs were shot by this point, and I didn't fancy the steep climb to the left up to the top of Haresfield Beacon. Instead, I rested for a moment on a bench on the opposite side of the road, before the long, steep descent back down to Paganhill. Avoiding as much main road as possible, I headed for Frampton via Stonehouse and the Stanleys. I have only recently discovered how nice the village of Leonard Stanley is, having always stayed on the main Frocester to Kings Stanley road before, instead of detouring into the village centre. It is actually a very attractive little village:

Back home now, after one decent hill and 32.9 miles of very enjoyable cycling and scenery. Glad I got that one in before the rain and before tomorrow's blood doning session. That always knocks my stamina back a bit for a few days.
Take care everyone. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
A fine looking morning for a ride today. Bright, but a bit chilly, so I wore a long sleeve under layer.

I woke up before my alarm went off, but faffed around a bit, and I still only managed to be out at 6:30. The plan was for a 40ish mile ride towards Bromsgrove, via Droitwich and back Hanbury and Pershore way.

Out towards Worcester through St Peters and Bath Rd, the air was coolish, and I was regretting not having worn tights, but I wasn't going back now. Got to Worcester in no time, but ended up catching every single traffic light in the centre on red, which didn't help my warm up. Finally past Foregate the lights started cooperating, and I could get into a bit of a rhythm along the A38. At Fernhill Heath I took Station Road to head for Droitwich avoiding the big A38 roundabout. I have been round some of the lanes in here before, but this was the first time in this particular one, and the view towards the hills around Martley are great.
IMG_20200607_065918813~2.jpg

Droitwich comes quickly, and now it is time to head for territory new to me, via Dodderhill heading towards Elmbrige, roughly parallel to the M5. Though it was only 7:15 by now, I had already lost count of the number of cyclists on the road, by the looks of it, some people seem to be sticking to their new found love of cycling. I was daydreaming a bit, and ended up taking the wrong turn, and having to backtrack, but I think I only added about a mile to my route. I eventually reached the turn for Upton Warren, which took me over the M5 heading towards Bromsgrove. The view from the bridge is interesting, with the motorway appearing to head straight toward the Malverns, and the Wychbold antennas dominating the immediate landscape.
IMG_20200607_073904751~2.jpg

Through Upton Warren now, and then a left on the A38 for Bromsgrove, and then a right to start heading back south in the general direction of Pershore. Instead of taking the direct route via Hanbury, I followed some smaller lanes to reach the Saltway at Bradley Green, and from there follow the lanes for Stock Green and Flyford. Now back in familiar territory navigation was easier, and I soon was reaching Bishampton. I have been along this lane often, but going the other way, so I had never noticed this view of the church tower.
IMG_20200607_084520267~2.jpg

You can just about make out the outline of the Malverns to the left of the picture. As I was there, I thought I would also take a photo of my bike with the gate and the church.
IMG_20200607_084538603~2.jpg

I was starting to tire a bit now, so took the last few miles a bit more slowly. After Bishampton came Throckmorton with the airfield, and then Pinvin. The work on the A44 junction is still not finished, and the turn is marked as left only from the Pinvin side, so I crossed as a pedestrian, and then continued via the ford to Drakes Broughton, with the final stretch taking me through Wadborough, Littleworth and past Norton church.

I am now managing longer rides without increasing the time I am out, as I am getting a bit faster, but I need a few more rides this distance to improve my pacing and resilience before moving to the next target of 50 mile rides. 43 and a half today, which takes the total for this year over the thousand mark.
IMG_20200607_141850.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom