Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Sunny morning. Early up. What's to do ?
A jaunt up the A58 to Wetherby, on up to Walshford and The Bridge Hotel. Into Cattal by way of Hunsingore. Right and south over the little bridge and down past Bickerton, into Thorpe Arch and Boston Spa and home by way of Bramham and Thorner.
I am off out for the day so just the bare bones. No pics.

33.6 miles and 1550 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/50024268

ruffers

Veteran
Not a big ride today, just a small 3 mile trundle up and down a bridle way near me. I fitted some now clip in pedals this morning and cleats to my new shoes. This was my first venture riding clipped in so nothing to strenuous. Was happy with my effort clipping in and out.

Enjoy the glorious weather everyone and happy cycling. 🚴🏻👍🏻

1591089542648.jpeg

JPBoothy

Veteran
Not a big ride today, just a small 3 mile trundle up and down a bridle way near me. I fitted some now clip in pedals this morning and cleats to my new shoes. This was my first venture riding clipped in so nothing to strenuous. Was happy with my effort clipping in and out.

Enjoy the glorious weather everyone and happy cycling. 🚴🏻👍🏻

View attachment 526953
It becomes second nature quite quickly really once you remember that you can no longer just coast to a stop before un-clipping. Sounds obvious I know, but we've all done it. I still get caught out (after 20+ yrs of using SPD's) by not leaning my bike far enough towards my un-clipped foot 'when at a standstill' and then over balancing towards the clipped in foot :blush:

ruffers

Veteran
It becomes second nature quite quickly really once you remember that you can no longer just coast to a stop before un-clipping. Sounds obvious I know, but we've all done it. I still get caught out (after 20+ yrs of using SPD's) by not leaning my bike far enough towards my un-clipped foot 'when at a standstill' and then over balancing towards the clipped in foot :blush:

I think I will definitely do that, I imagine it’s very easily done and only takes a moments lapse in concentration.

SGG on a bike

We cheated a little today and threw the bikes in the back of the pickup to drive down to Thorpeness/Aldeburgh for a gentle ride around the area. Technically, just a little top up ride after this Sunday's run where Mrs SGG smashed through her goal of 10 miles and went on to do 12.5 with a brief stop for a few minutes. That's couch to current in around 10 weeks for her. Smashing job and so proud of what she's achieved. We got back from a slightly hilly (for Suffolk) 7 mile ride yesterday and she said, "well, that didn't take long" when we got back.

Anyway, back to today...
Aldeburgh

Thorpeness

We had a little treat from Two Magpies Bakery as they had just taken some freshly baked Sausage Rolls out of their over and the aroma was too much to resist!

Mike_P

Guru
Second day of June and the ebike got a surprise as I fitted it with battery as for the first time since the fifth day of May; its motor whirred into action on a mere 3.5ish mile round trip to work to collect some papers. In the late morning heat of today so it was definitely a case of letting the motor do the work on at least half of the vertical U shaped route. The Defy did not take kindly to being abandoned and somehow managed to have a fight whilst I was away with a floor pump and a Karcher extendable lance:ohmy:
It had been out yesterday evening on what transpired to be a repeat of Fridays Penny Pot-Menwith-A59 ride; not the intention but the easterly was still far stronger than forecast and was keeping the wind farm well occupied. Three photos from that 15.51mile ride, the less than highly exacting Burley Bank

Heading east on Menwith Hill Road; the very blue grey distant hillside is the Hambleton Hills on the far side of the Vale of Mowbary (aka York). The wind had despite the temperature resulted in a long sleeve jersey being donned with the shorts which proved ideal as the ride went on, and somewhat more appropriate than a cyclist I had just over taken in a short sleeve but with Movistar longs on.

Passing the wind farm on the A59

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Second day of June and the ebike got a surprise as I fitted it with battery as for the first time since the fifth day of May its motor whirred into action on a mere 3.5ish mile round trip to work to collect some papers. In the late morning heat of today so it was definitely a case of letting the motor do the work on at least half of the vertical U shaped route. The Defy did not take kindly to being abandoned and somehow managed to have a fight whilst I was away with a floor pump and a Karcher extendable lance:ohmy:
It had been out yesterday evening on what transpired to be a repeat of Fridays Penny Pot-Menwith-A59 ride; not the intention but the easterly was still far stronger than forecast and was keeping the wind farm well occupied. Three photos from that 15.51mile ride, the less than highly exacting Burley Bank
View attachment 527087
Heading east on Menwith Hill Road; the very blue grey distant hillside is the Hambleton Hills on the far side of the Vale of Mowbary (aka York). The wind had despite the temperature resulted in a long sleeve jersey being donned with the shorts which proved ideal as the ride weny on, and somewhat more appropriate than a cyclist I had just over taken in a short sleeve but with Movistar longs on.
View attachment 527086
Passing the wind farm on the A59
View attachment 527085
Whose that in front of you?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Knowing that the weather is apparently supposed to turn gash tomorrow I wanted to get out today to minimise consecutive days spent stuck inside the house.

I'm apparently still recovering from Sunday's sizeable effort so it had to be a steady one, while I have a plan forming in my head for a longish ride down south so it made sense to do a bit of a recce in that direction. For once I actually planned a route; marking out a 38 mile loop on google maps and memorising the place names as I roughly knew where I was going and couldn't be arsed to acquire and upload a .gpx file..

The first few miles were marred by my HR monitor playing up; which I can't complain about too much as they battery had been running low so I stopped to replace it (causing me to re-start my ride as killing the power also killed the pairing with the GPS unit). It still seemed a bit dicky; possibly due to a lack of moisture on the strap but after giving it a good lick it appeared to start behaving itself :tongue:

Three of Leonard Cohen's finest albums lined up to set an appropriate pace, I headed out south-west through Cumnor, Eaton, Appleton, Hinton Waldrist and Hatford... cutting the corner off the intersection of a couple of roads by nicking off down a short bridleway. This yielded a lot of wildlife (butterflies, bees, a dragonfly a rabbit and plenty of songbirds, amongst others) but also a lot of bumps.

I continued south past Stanford-in-the-Vale then south-east through West Challow and on to Wantage, where I snapped the bike as watched over by Alfred the Great in the town square, as a homage to eltonfrog's similar image a while ago. My phone really does a sterling job of making everything look cack, but I mustn't grumble as it's probably outlasted your typical smart phone many times over..

Image035.jpg

I used this stop to swap my water bottles; the one pictured being an old one pressed into service while my normal ones soak in bleach solution; however in my haste to make this one serviceable I evidently didn't rinse it sufficiently - leaving its contents delicately citrus flavoured thanks to the lemon washing up liquid used :rolleyes:

Thankfully I'd taken a 2nd bottle in my rucksack... and not in my 2nd bottle cage as I'm still doing battle with the crappy suppliers over the poor quality of the Topeak ones I bought recently..

I continued east through Wantage and Ardington, West Hendred and Harwell before hanging a left at West Hagbourne; not before I'd stopped for a bit of shade and a picture next to the nice village pond :smile:

Image034.jpg

This was just after I'd had an odd interaction with a flatbed.. it passing me some miles back and the passenger shouting something at me while leaning out of the window. Given the prevailing attitude of the occupants of such vehicles I thought he was having a go but didn't hear what he said, so just mimed confusion and carried on; the wagon turning off a short time later. A couple of miles down the road it passed me again; blowing the horn this time - but more in a friendly two-stabs kind of way and it gave me enough room so there didn't appear to be any aggression involved. Perhaps he just liked my shorts..

I continued North through Didcot, picking up the bit of NCR5 I recently discovered while down here last time. I followed this through Sutton Courtney and tried to continue on the bridleway out the other side, but it was closed. Thankfully there was an alternative a bit futher up the road and I took this to the outskirts of Abingdon.. looping CW around the ring road to Radley then back into town on NCR5.

Approaching Donny bridge on the tow path the water looked increasingly inviting, so I popped over the bridge to the boathouse where I found the pontoons to be quite sparsely-populated for some reason, so I took the opportunity to dip both ends of myself in the water. Liberating my feet from the tight, sweaty cycle shoes they'd been in for the past 3hrs and plunging them into the water was arguably the best bit of the ride :becool:

Image037.jpg

Image039.jpg

I chilled there for a few minutes before drying my feet off as best as possible and continuing on my way. By this point I'd travelled around 43 miles so I minced around town for a bit to push it up to a little over 50.

En-route I passed what's left of (IIRC) the uni's zoology building; lamenting its destruction as I'd come to love its uncompromising brutalist architecture during my early years in the city. This is now all that remains:

Image040.jpg

After this I made my way home the long way, for a total of about 52 miles (including those lost due to the HRM issue) and 1070ft at about 13.4mph and 113bpm; about 60% of the ride being in zone 1 and the vast majority of the rest zone 2.

Despite having apparently expended a whole day's worth of energy I wasn't ravenous when I got home (I suspect due to my low carb intake as it makes me much less governed by hunger and have found similar after past rides). After a shower I popped to the shop and upon returning had a dinner of dressed salad, fish fingers with melted cheese, a couple of soft-boiled eggs, chopped up toasted seed loaf and a big dollop of Greek yoghurt; which unsurprisingly went down very well :biggrin:

Today's ride was generally pleasant if very hot (jury's out as to whether I've overcooked my slaphead) and marred by some pretty stupid driving - a couple of needlessly close passes and at least three absolute dickheads who overtook me on blind bends... another sign that things are getting back to normal, then :rolleyes:

I also saw a good few other cyclists; including one distinctive older chap in yellow with lots of hair who I passed twice (both times as we were heading in opposite directions) hello if this was you!

Anyway, I think that concludes today's thrilling instalment.. definitely having a day off tomorrow!

Last edited:

ruffers

Veteran
Knowing that the weather is apparently supposed to turn gash tomorrow I wanted to get out today to minimise consecutive days spent stuck inside the house.

I'm apparently still recovering from Sunday's sizeable effort so it had to be a steady one, while I have a plan forming in my head for a longish ride down south so it made sense to do a bit of a recce in that direction. For once I actually planned a route; marking out a 38 mile loop on google maps and memorising the place names as I roughly knew where I was going and couldn't be arsed to acquire and upload a .gpx file..

The first few miles were marred by my HR monitor playing up; which I can't complain about too much as they battery had been running low so I stopped to replace it (causing me to re-start my ride as killing the power also killed the pairing with the GPS unit). It still seemed a bit dicky; possibly due to a lack of moisture on the strap but after giving it a good lick it appeared to start behaving itself :tongue:

Three of Leonard Cohen's finest albums lined up to set an appropriate pace, I headed out south-west through Cumnor, Eaton, Appleton, Hinton Waldrist and Hatford... cutting the corner off the intersection of a couple of roads by nicking off down a short bridleway. This yielded a lot of wildlife (butterflies, bees, a dragonfly a rabbit and plenty of songbirds, amongst others) but also a lot of bumps.

I continued south past Stanford-in-the-Vale then south-east through West Challow and on to Wantage, where I snapped the bike as watched over by Alfred the Great in the town square, as a homage to eltonfrog's similar image a while ago. My phone really does a sterling job of making everything look cack, but I mustn't grumble as it's probably outlasted your typical smart phone many times over..

View attachment 527117

I used this stop to swap my water bottles; the one pictured being an old one pressed into service while my normal ones soak in bleach solution; however in my haste to make this one serviceable I evidently didn't rinse it sufficiently - leaving its contents delicately citrus flavoured thanks to the lemon washing up liquid used :rolleyes:

Thankfully I'd taken a 2nd bottle in my rucksack... and not in my 2nd bottle cage as I'm still doing battle with the crappy suppliers over the poor quality of the Topeak ones I bought recently..

I continued east through Wantage and Ardington, West Hendred and Harwell before hanging a left at West Hagbourne; not before I'd stopped for a bit of shade and a picture next to the nice village pond :smile:

View attachment 527123

This was just after I'd had an odd interaction with a flatbed.. it passing me some miles back and the passenger shouting something at me while leaning out of the window. Given the prevailing attitude of the occupants of such vehicles I thought he was having a go but didn't hear what he said, so just mimed confusion and carried on; the wagon turning off a short time later. A couple of miles down the road it passed me again; blowing the horn this time - but more in a friendly two-stabs kind of way and it gave me enough room so there didn't appear to be any aggression involved. Perhaps he just liked my shorts..

I continued North through Didcot, picking up the bit of NCR5 I recently discovered while down here last time. I followed this through Sutton Courtney and tried to continue on the bridleway out the other side, but it was closed. Thankfully there was an alternative a bit futher up the road and I took this to the outskirts of Abingdon.. looping CW around the ring road to Radley then back into town on NCR5.

Approaching Donny bridge on the tow path the water looked increasingly inviting, so I popped over the bridge to the boathouse where I found the pontoons to be quite sparsely-populated for some reason, so I took the opportunity to dip both ends of myself in the water. Liberating my feet from the tight, sweaty cycle shoes they'd been in for the past 3hrs and plunging them into the water was arguably the best bit of the ride :becool:

View attachment 527131

View attachment 527129

I chilled there for a few minutes before drying my feet off as best as possible and continuing on my way. By this point I'd travelled around 43 miles so I minced around town for a bit to push it up to a little over 50.

En-route I passed what's left of (IIRC) the uni's zoology building; lamenting its destruction as I'd come to love its uncompromising brutalist architecture during my early years in the city. This is now all that remains:

View attachment 527135

After this I made my way home the long way, for a total of about 52 miles (including those lost due to the HRM issue) and 1070ft at about 13.4mph and 113bpm; about 60% of the ride being in zone 1 and the vast majority of the rest zone 2.

Despite having apparently expended a whole day's worth of energy I wasn't ravenous when I got home (I suspect due to my low carb intake as it makes me much less governed by hunger and have found similar after past rides). After a shower I popped to the shop and upon returning had a dinner of dressed salad, fish fingers with melted cheese, a couple of soft-boiled eggs, chopped up toasted seed loaf and a big dollop of Greek yoghurt; which unsurprisingly went down very well :biggrin:

Today's ride was generally pleasant if very hot (jury's out as to whether I've overcooked my slaphead) and marred by some pretty stupid driving - a couple of needlessly close passes and at least three absolute dickheads who overtook me on blind bends... another sign that things are getting back to normal, then :rolleyes:

I also saw a good few other cyclists; including one distinctive older chap in yellow with lots of hair who I passed twice (both times as we were heading in opposite directions) hello if this was you!

Anyway, I think that concludes today's thrilling instalment.. definitely having a day off tomorrow!

great write up, congrats 👍🏻

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't been doing long rides since we went into lockdown. Most of them in fact have only been 15-25 km in length.

Half of these rides are up and down the flattish valley roads on my singlespeed bike.

The other half have been short sharp shocks on my CAAD5, which has gears low enough for me to tackle the brutish climbs which go almost straight up the sides of the Calder Valley. My last 3 rides have each packed about 500 metres of ascent into only about 20 kms. For those of you who don't 'do' metric - about 1,650 ft of climb in 12.5 miles. Yesterday's ride was slightly harder than that - 514 m in 19 kms or 1,685 ft in 11.8 miles.

This evening's ride started off with some flat kms and one moderate hill, but I had a rush of blood to the head as I came into Mytholm** (Hebden Bridge) on the A646. I turned left up Church Lane to tackle the monstrous climb of Mytholm Steeps. How bad is it...? Well, the first km averages 15%! The easy 10% sections are a relief from the 15% ramps which themselves are relief from the 20% ramps, which in fact are easier than the horrid 25% ramp. The climb continues for a long way beyond that ramp but the rest of it feels easy compared to that first tough km.

For obvious reasons, I didn't stop to take photos but this wobbly video taken by someone else lets you see 90% of the climb. If the rider was not on an e-bike then (s)he is bloody fit - I was in survival mode for the entire km. I did the first 800 m as slowly as I could to save myself for the 25% bit but that still hurt a lot! I reckon I was at 90-95% effort there. I don't like to do that final 5% any more - I don't think my ageing heart could take it! :whistle:

Take a scenic trip up the climb and imagine me suffering... :okay:

** NOT Mytholmroyd, of flooding fame! Mytholm is on the Todmorden side of Hebden Bridge rather than a few kms further along the valley on the Halifax side.

Yesterday: first ride on the Trek since modification, so a shakedown, really. Quite a bit of gear twiddling necessary , annoying as it was a breeze to set up on rhe stand. Was ok after a few tweaks, although the front mech played up again later. I seem to be having a negative thing with front mechs lately...
Usual NCN 27 south, All well bar this surprise just south of Grenofen tunnel.

Also discovered at this point that the Wahoo app had been twiddling its thumbs and uninstalled it. Back to MMR...
Went about a third of the way up the ramp at Leg O'Mutton, then turned, assuring 11 miles total in the bag. No other usable figures.
Nice to be on the Trek, it's a comfy ride.

Top Bottom