Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After 30 rides in the last 31 days, I'm taking a couple of days off to get my mojo back and recover from saddle soreness. Cue the next batch of one week's cycling laundry:
View attachment 526794
Enjoy your rides everybody. Keep posting some of those great pictures and write-ups.
Donger
I have heard of a hankerchief tree (Davidia involucrata) but a cycle attire tree ? Latin names on a postcard please.

theloafer

Legendary Member
a short spin to awaken the old legs as its over 2 weeks since last trip out ..over to Barnard castle did not see any sign of DC ..:laugh:
and back by my normal lanes ... lots more traffic about today ..grrrrrr .... 43 miles
https://www.strava.com/activities/3547188487

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
I decided to have a child free ride on my own today and set off on my Single Speed for a very enjoyable couple of hours. I did 32mls in all but had definitely underestimated how hot the sun was though :sweat: .. I even remembered to take a few photos this time but, I seem to struggle to attach them for some reason so I'll have to contact the experts.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Another ride, another mate. Great 54 miles in the sun, roads i have not ridden for a while, was great to have another catch up. Got back home had a couple of beers with the socially distance neighbours, the kids where out playing on there bikes. I got them to have a go at track stands. They really enjoyed it.so a good afternoon had by all.
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/EMBAhj1dY6

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today was supposed to be a rest day, but it felt wrong to be lying prostrate on the sofa inside when it was so nice outside so I went for a float on the ofo.

Rode to Sandford on the tow and cycle paths, back through Littlemore and the Iffley road before exploring Aston's Eyot. For those who don't know (as I didn't until recently) it's the place on the opposite side of the river to the tow path between the boat houses before Donny bridge as you head out of town.. inhabited by all those people you see sat in clearings in the bushes on the other side of the river that you see when walking up the tow path and think "how the fook did they get there..?" :tongue:

Image032.jpg

Not that you can tell but in the background is the boathouse and little bridge on the tow path between Iffley meadow and Donny bridge..

When leaving I passed another sorry looking ofo on Donny bridge road if anyone local fancies a project; it has a different frame to mine and appears to be a single-speed with V-brakes; guessing from the inferior spec it's potentially an earlier one but who's to say. Was tatty but potentially worth rescuing.. ;)

Image033.jpg

After that I headed home through town; resisting the pull of the chippie as I've already gorged today and don't want to make it worse with a ton of carbs.. although I could smash some chips and cheese now!

Last edited:
I rather spontaneously decided to ride into Freiburg today, on the basis that I really should visit the city as I've lived just outside for a month. It turns out the city is a lot quicker to cycle into than I thought.

They have trams. With some seriously bright colour schemes:

2020_06_01_Freiburg_Trailblazer_04.JPG

This is advertising that Freiburg will be officially 900 years old this year

It also has lots and lots of cycleways, which are direct, and link up to other cycleways, and hardly ever send you somewhere you think you're going to die.

2020_06_01_Freiburg_Trailblazer_07.JPG

this is a bit confusing because I've lived for over ten years by Stuttgart which treats cyclists as pedestrians with wheels, so the cycleways are generally on the pavements and you have to watch the pedestrian lights. Freiburg treats you like a car with pedals so I suddenly have to follow traffic lights.

Once in Freiburg I did the touristy thing. This is the Martinstor, one of the most famous sights in the city, which is why I kept this photo despite it being a bit rough:

2020_06_01_Freiburg_Trailblazer_08.JPG

Apparently the city council compromised with the fast food chain occupying the gate: they were allowed to put their name outside but not in red and yellow...

After pretending to be all cultured:

2020_06_01_Freiburg_Trailblazer_09.JPG

...and sampling some more of the cycle infrastructure, including the rather wonderfully named "Wiwili Bridge" (Pron: Vee-Vil-Eee) which is a "Bike street" connecting the two sides of the city for cyclists and pedestrians...

2020_06_01_Freiburg_Trailblazer_11.JPG

I decided I'd experienced all of city life I wanted for a while and headed back north. It really is astonishing how fast you can get somewhere on a bike when there are direct, well signposted cycleways...

Unfortunately, this advantage doesn't help if you then take a wrong turning and get lost in a random field somewhere...

2020_06_01_Freiburg_Trailblazer_15.JPG

Still, I've established there is a fairly direct and ridable route into Freiburg. Now all I have to do is make sure I follow it next time...

AndreaJ

Veteran
Still hot and sunny with a bit of a breeze and I decided to try some new lanes. Set off on a regular route to Myddle, turning down Lower Road and onto Merrington, Old Woods, Fennemere, Eyton and into Baschurch. Through Baschurch to Marton, Weston Lullingfields, Lower Hordley, Lee where I was back on familiar lanes into Ellesmere where the few shops that were open looked quite busy, up Swan Hill by the Mere, Coptiviney, Welshampton, Bettisfield, Northwood and back home. Went through some lovely little villages which I had never been to before and some I hadn’t been to in years without getting lost, with very little traffic and not many people. 34.58 miles @15.9mph.
07D337C4-25AB-46A1-929F-0005B5ABAB13.jpeg

02267CFE-FFBF-4250-8232-9CB45A98F68A.jpeg

Goals at the stud farm near Bagley and the view from Weston Lullingfields.

Wookee

Pah! far too many picturesque snaps on here for one day... Combining cycling and work ie getting paid while cycling always makes for a pleasurable ride I find^_^. I can't really call it commuting as I work from home and I only go out to meetings so when I had to be in Highgate this morning for 0830hrs I couldn't think of a better way to get there.
Over the M25 which was sporting some nice tailbacks and into the quiet(ish) roads of Enfield. Not many other riders out considering the time of day except for some leisure guys and by the time I reached south of Enfield Town I didn't see any for ages. Had my first go along Cycle Superhighway 20 and I wasn't overly impressed - I'll talk you through the problems with bus stop bypasses one day if you're really bored. Then into Haringey where I could pick up the New River path all the way to Alexandra Palace. If you don't know it, Ally Pally is at the top of a ruddy great hill and mt granny ring combined with my ability meant I had a we break and stroll up the second part of the hill. Once up it was a simple route across Muswell Hill to Highgate where I got to chat to a roads engineer about these works for half an hour.
north hill.jpg

Exciting stuff! Not quite as exciting as the trip home where I got to experience the palace hill in the other direction^_^.

25 miles all told with surprisingly few idiots to report:okay:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Wasn't going to go out today, but the late evening sun and cooler temperature coaxed us out for an hour or so... found a new path up to Medburn.

Attachments

• 96386896_10214422098741384_4626604282387365888_n.jpg
    96386896_10214422098741384_4626604282387365888_n.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 78343101_10214422101461452_7171099451505770496_n.jpg
    78343101_10214422101461452_7171099451505770496_n.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 3
  • 101755937_10214422100581430_3231661722838237184_o.jpg
    101755937_10214422100581430_3231661722838237184_o.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom