Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
They’re my pedal of choice, I’ve been using them for years.
Aye; they're nice pedals aren't they? The most road-bike-suited SPD offering IMO. My only complaint really is that I sometimes struggle to clip in given their one-sided format, although with more clipping in and out on the new bike (due to more stops for obstacles etc) I think I've got better at it. I like the pedals and figure having the same pair on both bikes should aid familiarity / ease of clipping in :smile:

Thanks - had considered these but I perfer the hex socket spindles on the higher end models as it looks nicer and I don't have an appropriate spanner for the flats. I've got my eye on a couple of pairs of A600s currently but they're both just a bit too tatty for my liking - I can deal with scratches and scuffs but draw the line at the rampant corrosion I've seen on some..

Last edited:
I was up early (for me) this morning and decided to take advantage of earlier easing of the lockdown by doing something I've not done since February - start a ride from somewhere other than home. Also I was hoping that by going inland a bit, the easterly wind blowing in off the North Sea wouldn't be quite as strong. So I stuck the PlanetX into the boot of the car and drove up to @Shearwater Missile territory for a repeat of a loop out of Stowmarket that I did back in January, taking advantage of the free Sunday parking, cheapskate that I am!

The ride started from the area around the rail station and headed north up to Old Newton and then east to Debenham through Gipping, Mendlesham Green and Mickfield. Here it became apparent that the only difference going inland made to the easterly breeze was that it was warmer, while being just as strong as near the coast. From Debenham I headed north to Thorndon, past the Aspall cider factory, and then finally picked up the benefit of the easterly wind on the long, mostly westish drag through Gislingham
View attachment 526646
Finningham (good to see the grain crops growing well in this area - the local to me fields are mostly doing potatoes at the moment and seem to need constant irrigation)
View attachment 526648
Then Walsham le Willows, Badwell Ash and into Pakenham, down to Thurston and back into the wind for a short bit to Norton, down again to Tostock. Here the run back to Stowmarket started - all into the headwind which had strengthened a bit - from Beyton to Woolpit Green with a diversion for a quick look at the two sail less windmills almost next to each other
View attachment 526650 View attachment 526651
After that that it was a non stop run through Shelland and Onehouse into Stowmarket to where the transport home awaited
View attachment 526652
https://www.strava.com/activities/3541225620/
View attachment 526653 View attachment 526654
That looked a nice ride, some of which I do on a regular basis. I was out yesterday but headed out to Rattlesden and Felsham and then Brettenham, Buxhall, coming back via Harlesden and Onehouse. I did see a few out yesterday but not as many as last weekend. If you hav`nt been out towards Felsham it is nice countryside, nothing too taxing. If you look on Plotaroute.com you can search routes. Just an idea. I make up my own anyway. I must venture the other side of the A140 !

C R

Guru
Yesterday's ride, but didn't manage to get the write up done.

I have been comparing rides with a friend from Galicia, and he keeps commenting on how flat my rides are, so today I decided to add some elevation by going Malvern way. Forecast for the day was sunny and warm, so just shorts and short sleeve this time.

Out just after half past six, via St Peters, heading for the Bridge to Lower Wick. As I was going through St Peters I saw another cyclist setting off for a ride, which is a first for this time of the day. In the shade the air was coolish, but out of the shade it was already feeling quite warm, and there was hardly any wind at this point.

At Lower Wick was a left for Powick, and at Powick I took the Callow End turn to head for Jennet Tree Lane, taking it easy to keep some energy for the climb to come. Saw the second cyclist of the day as I was reaching Newland Road. Next was Madresfield, and then a right at Sherrards Green to head to Great Malvern.

The climb itself starts at the Pickersleigh Rd roundabout, getting steep almost immediately. I just settled on a low gear and spun steadily up the hill. There are some short flatter sections, but the very last bit of church Street past the priory is quite steep, and I just about managed to get to the turn by the post office, this is the first time I made it to the post office without stopping, so I rewarded myself with a drink and a nut bar, not that I needed to catch my breath or anything, ;).

Though Church Street is the steepest part of the ascent, it is only about half way up to the Wyche. I took on this section with the same steady pace, and in about 10 minutes or so I was at the top, greeted by this fantastic view.
IMG_20200531_073611214~2.jpg

This was around quarter to eight in the morning, and the Sun was already beating down some.

Next is going through the cut, and into Herefordshire. As I was reaching the turn for Jubilee Drive, two guys guys on mountain bikes came from the West Malvern side a bit too fast to stop at the crossing. I held back a bit to let them through, and follow into Jubilee Drive, thinking that I wouldn't see any more of them at the speed they seemed to be going, however, I soon caught up with them. It wasn't very easy to overtake them, as they were riding almost on the central line, but once they finally noticed me they moved over and were very encouraging for my efforts.

At the end of Jubilee Drive I joined the A449 for the descent towards Ledbury. I've been down this way a couple of times in my flat bar, but this was the first time on the road bike, and this made for a much quicker descent, so much so that I was having to use the brakes to hold back a bit. Half way down the descent, when I was doing about 35mph, and feeling a bit more confident, an idiot driver coming the other way decided to overtake, forcing me and the other driver to reduce speed to let them through, I may have turned the air a bit blue, and decided to curb my speed.

At the bottom of the hill I stop for a bit of a drink, and then carried on, turning left for Eastnor at the A438 just before Ledbury. The descent carries on down to Eastnor, but the road surface here is quite bad, so need to be careful of taking the right line to avoid the worst bits, which somewhat reduces the enjoyment.

At the bottom of the hill I got the first hint that the wind might be picking up, and worse, it was going to be against me on the way up to Holybush, which was the second climb of the day. Just at the bottom of the hill caught up with a couple, which were quite startled by my good morning. The ascent was uneventful, except for a couple of wind gusts.

Back in Worcestershire at the top of the hill, the road surface improved, so the descent could be done more confidently, without having to slalom around partially repaired potholes.

I stayed on the A438 into what was new territory for me past the caravan park heading for Tewkesbury. This is a beautiful area, which reminds me of Galicia.

A drawback of the road bike compare to the flat bar is that the riding position is not as conducive to admiring the landscape, and I end up not taking as many pictures as I used to. I stopped somewhere before Upper Pendock to have a nut bar, and took a couple of pictures.
IMG_20200531_082118710~2.jpg

The southern end of the Malverns here.
IMG_20200531_082201883~2.jpg

And the view towards the Severn to the other side of the road.

The wind was now blowing head on, and my legs were starting to feel the miles and metres of up a bit, so it was just a matter of plodding on. Under the M50 for a short incursion into Gloucestershire, the third county of the day, and then a left for Upton a bit further up.

I was overtaken by a couple of cyclists who seemed to be coping better than me against the wind, and there were loads of cyclists going the other way, many more than I have ever seen.

Finally made it to Upton, where I stopped for a drink before "attacking" the final stretch of the ride. So through Upton, back on the right side of the Severn, plodding through Earls Croome, up Kinnersley and Pirton and home.

One of the nice things about the lock down has been going out on family rides, which we wouldn't have been on otherwise. A side effect is that my mileage for May has been the highest so far, with this ride taking me over 260 miles, which is about the distance I rode during my first six months of being back on the bike.

Lots of cyclists on the road, many more than I ever see in my rides. Let's see if this holds.

The map.
IMG_20200601_115349.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
That looked a nice ride, some of which I do on a regular basis. I was out yesterday but headed out to Rattlesden and Felsham and then Brettenham, Buxhall, coming back via Harlesden and Onehouse. I did see a few out yesterday but not as many as last weekend. If you hav`nt been out towards Felsham it is nice countryside, nothing too taxing. If you look on Plotaroute.com you can search routes. Just an idea. I make up my own anyway. I must venture the other side of the A140 !
Thanks for the info. I've been through that area on rides to or from Newmarket, but I may be back for circular rides from Stowmarket more often as a way of avoiding the seafront area and for some different scenery at weekends.

C R

Guru
Despite the distain of many fitting auxillary brake levers does allow for better viewing of the surroundings.
I thought about that, but find holding to the bars a bit unsteady, tend to ride preferably on the drops, which is the position I find the most comfortable.

Despite the distain of many fitting auxillary brake levers does allow for better viewing of the surroundings.
I agree with the auxillary brake levers. I had them on my road bike when I commuted to work, they were a real help cycling in town. Alas, when I changed the bars to compact I gave them away.

I thought about that, but find holding to the bars a bit unsteady, tend to ride preferably on the drops, which is the position I find the most comfortable.
90% of the time in the drops, certainly when cornering and also adding a bit more weight on the front wheel whilst doing so.

Reactions: C R

Old jon

Guru
Last weekend I was given a new to me shed. Thank you neighbour! And for the first time in a while I saw both bikes in close proximity. There was a difference in saddle height, visibly so. Tape measure put to use, saddle on geared bike lifted. Had to take it out for a test ride, didn’t I?
But I was patient, and waited until today. Forty two miles later I can say that the alteration has worked, not so much a test, maybe closer to a celebration? Made this man happy anyway, and wondering why it took me so long to check something this simple.

Anyway, the ride is the thing. The new usual, Holbeck, City Square and out along Kirkstall Road to the bottom of Cardigan Road, then start going up. Headingley, cross the Ring Road and bear left onto Otley Old Road to stay on a rising road a bit further. There is a new mini roundabout just over the crest that I have probably ridden across four or five times, things become easier. Turn left to stay on Otley Old Road, up that sharp rise by the farm. Turn right at the crossroads with the A658 to enjoy the descent of Pool Bank. Did I say the sun was shining? And the fields were green?

Cross the River Wharfe and shortly afterwards turn left on the road to Leathley. And turn left again, crossing the Washburn. The road then climbs to Farnley, it is the only road so I climbed as well. A nice swoopy downhill into Otley is next. At the T junction turn right for Billams Hill, which goes up to the left turn onto Weston Lane. Not a surprise to find that after more uphill, this takes me to Weston.

This side of the Wharfe valley has the best road, the views are wonderful, and it drops nicely to Denton Bridge. Which I crossed to use the big road back to Otley. Sort of busy this morning, in patches. Take the bypass to almost the bottom of Leeds Road and pedal up that to cross my outbound route at the Dyneley Arms on the way to Bramhope. The building site on the way out of here still has the pond, still a mystery. Turn left to ascend Kings Road, then right turn at the top to travel through Adel.

Once back on the A650 things just go downhill, in the best sense, that is. There was a roadworks induced queue between Headingley and Kirkstall, but else that no hindrance in the last few miles of my journey home. Even the traffic lights were kind. Have to smile at that.

One map, and the ups and downs . . .

01062020.jpg

0106elevation.jpg

colly

Re member eR
Mid morning ride in the sun.
Out about 10.30 ish and I made a point of making of making as little effort as I could. No sweating, no heavy breathing. I did quite well and the most I detected was a very gentle glow. Given that I was being cooked in strong sunlight I thought that was just about OK. Local lanes and familiar roads but being done at a very leisurely pace added something different.

20200601_111512.jpg

20200601_111531.jpg

20200601_111521.jpg

A few views of Eccup Reservoir looking very blue and somewhat down in levels.
And one of 'The Boys. I often stop and have a word.
20200601_111856.jpg

A plotted route again of 20.3 miles and 900 ft.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49980980

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Well it counts..Only seven miles,just to test the legs.Out on to the second busiest road around here. Then on to the inner ring road..Got some speed up then,then went off road via Meanwood Valley Trail,,not a good idea on best bike.In to Meanwood Park,checked out if cafe had opened it has take away only,that will do me,,the home.It counts,,then five more miles on the turbo..Nest week i aim for Otley and it's wonderful park,and a pie from one of the two great butchers,the one with the shortest queue,,that is if they will serve an outsider.

ianbarton

Veteran
31_05_20_A_bike_ride_in_Dodcott_cum_Wilkesley_England.png

Very hot yesterday. My usual Market Drayton loop. It didn't start too well. I was just about to start out when I saw a cyclist lying on the road at the T junction of Wilkesley Lane and Heywood Lane. here were a few people around her sheltering her from the sun with parasols. I wandered over to see if I could help out. She had skidded on the pebbles at the junction, come off the bike and injured her elbow. She didn't have any other obvious injuries apart from a graze on her arm where she had landed. It looked as though the elbow was dislocated and she was at the point where the pain starts to kick in.

We did offer to carry over the road to the shade under the tree on the grass verge. I think from her conversation she was a first responder or paramedic. She was adamant that she didn't want to be moved or have any pain killers. The ambulance hadn't arrived after about half an hour, so I left her in the care of the others. She had been very unlucky to suffer a serious injury. She couldn't have been doing more than 5mph when she fell off.

Top Bottom