Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Epic (by our standards) ride on the tandem today.

A rolling start, then a rest by the Macclesfield canal.

Then the hills proper start, Withenshaw Lane leading to the top of Cheshire:

Lunch in Wildboarclough by the river:

Then Lamaload reservoir and the climb of Dead Man's hill:

Before freewheeling down to the Cheshire plain and home.

"Only" 35 miles, and a tad short of 3000ft climbing, but it felt a lot more! Tired and happy now :sun:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
A ride to experiment pacing by heart rate this morning. Rode 82 km / 51 mi trying to ride at 140bpm in zone 2. 77% successful in Z2, 20% in Z3 and the remaining 3% I put down to steepest hills. It worked well, I even got some PBs in the second half of the ride as I wasn't as knackered as usual when riding full gas. Found riding at 140bpm difficult for the first hour as I knew I could comfortably ride a little faster, however I resisted temptation and it paid dividends in the second half. Back home, I feel fine, legs a little sore, but not feeling anywhere near as knackered as I usually do after a longer ride. This will definitely help with my audax aspirations.

I passed Tommy Simpson's memorial (needs cleaning) and stopped for a photo:
IMG_0125.jpeg

delb0y

Legendary Member
Apart from a couple of really gentle pootles with a very occasional cyclist mate, today's ride with @KingswayRider was my first proper accompanied ride for ages. I needed 14 miles to hit my big milestone for the month, and we ended up doing nearly 35 miles. After a quiet loop around through Haresfield, Standish, Whitminster ...

I saw you coming out of Whitminster and said hello. Flat bars and pannier, that was me.

gavgav

Guru
Another beautiful morning, with an easterly breeze again, to keep things from getting too stifling and so I got out for my first 50 miler of the year, on a route that I’d plotted last night, containing loads of new territory and plenty I’d only ridden a couple of times before.

Set out on familiar roads to Betton Abbots and Atcham, where it was already thronged with cars and people setting up on the shale beaches that have formed, from the River Severn being so low.

Next was Berwick Wharf, Upton Magna, East Haughmond and, with the wind behind me, a nice descent to Astley. Easy crossing the A53 and onto lanes to Hadnall, passing the Salopian Brewery, then the new territory started, along Plex Road and a bit of climbing up to Harmer Hill. There I crossed directly over the 2 main roads and followed Lower Rd, which was an absolute delight. Smooth surface, but mainly amazing scenery, as there are a series of Rockhouses, with lovely newer houses built under them, just before Myddle Wood. Never knew they were there and really enjoyed seeing them.

At Myddle, I turned onto the main road, towards Marton and had the easterly wind directly behind me along 2 or 3 miles of downhill and flat, with hardly a car seen. Absolutely lovely to cruise along at 20 to 25mph, with no effort needed.

At Marton, I turned off and continued on more new territory, following lanes to Weston Lullingfields, Bagley and Hordley. It was an absolute delight to cycle along there, with amazing views over to the Berwyn Mountains, in Wales, not a single car seen for goodness knows how many miles, the wind behind me and with the sunshine and dryness, it could have passed for Greece!

This was the view towards The Berwyn Mountains, in the distance.

Continued on, to Rednal, then paused for lunch in a field entrance, before climbing up and then dropping down to West Felton, Woolston and Osbaston. I turned into the wind, there and it was a bit gusty at times, for the remainder of the ride, really.

Short section on the main road, to Knockin, but then back onto lanes, firstly past the cricket club, where there were a few chaps mowing the square and preparing things in the hope that some cricket can be played this year, then to Kinnerley, Edgerley and Pentre.

At Royal Hill, I went past the pub, which is one of my favourites and it was sad to see it all shut up, on the sort of day it would normally be so busy, following NCN route 81 to Pentre, Shrawardine and Montford Bridge.

The climb on the main road, towards Bicton, was hard, on tired legs and into the wind, then we all had to quickly get off the road, to let an ambulance through. It was busy along there and so I decided to turn up Calcott Lane, then head through Gains Park, Radbrook and Meole Brace, to get home.

52.23 miles and one of the most enjoyable rides I have done for a long long while. I will definitely be back to those picturesque lanes, North of Shrewsbury, which must be done in a westerly direction, to get the amazing views.

Today’s ride also made it 359.1 miles, for May, over 120 miles more than my previous monthly record! What a month for cycling.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today’s ride also made it 359.1 miles, for May, over 120 miles more than my previous monthly record! What a month for cycling.
Well done, @gavgav. A good month for record setting.

13 rider

Guru
:laugh:
Another beautiful morning, with an easterly breeze again, to keep things from getting too stifling and so I got out for my first 50 miler of the year, on a route that I’d plotted last night, containing loads of new territory and plenty I’d only ridden a couple of times before.

Set out on familiar roads to Betton Abbots and Atcham, where it was already thronged with cars and people setting up on the shale beaches that have formed, from the River Severn being so low.

Next was Berwick Wharf, Upton Magna, East Haughmond and, with the wind behind me, a nice descent to Astley. Easy crossing the A53 and onto lanes to Hadnall, passing the Salopian Brewery, then the new territory started, along Plex Road and a bit of climbing up to Harmer Hill. There I crossed directly over the 2 main roads and followed Lower Rd, which was an absolute delight. Smooth surface, but mainly amazing scenery, as there are a series of Rockhouses, with lovely newer houses built under them, just before Myddle Wood. Never knew they were there and really enjoyed seeing them.

At Myddle, I turned onto the main road, towards Marton and had the easterly wind directly behind me along 2 or 3 miles of downhill and flat, with hardly a car seen. Absolutely lovely to cruise along at 20 to 25mph, with no effort needed.

At Marton, I turned off and continued on more new territory, following lanes to Weston Lullingfields, Bagley and Hordley. It was an absolute delight to cycle along there, with amazing views over to the Berwyn Mountains, in Wales, not a single car seen for goodness knows how many miles, the wind behind me and with the sunshine and dryness, it could have passed for Greece!

This was the view towards The Berwyn Mountains, in the distance.
View attachment 526565

Continued on, to Rednal, then paused for lunch in a field entrance, before climbing up and then dropping down to West Felton, Woolston and Osbaston. I turned into the wind, there and it was a bit gusty at times, for the remainder of the ride, really.

Short section on the main road, to Knockin, but then back onto lanes, firstly past the cricket club, where there were a few chaps mowing the square and preparing things in the hope that some cricket can be played this year, then to Kinnerley, Edgerley and Pentre.

At Royal Hill, I went past the pub, which is one of my favourites and it was sad to see it all shut up, on the sort of day it would normally be so busy, following NCN route 81 to Pentre, Shrawardine and Montford Bridge.

The climb on the main road, towards Bicton, was hard, on tired legs and into the wind, then we all had to quickly get off the road, to let an ambulance through. It was busy along there and so I decided to turn up Calcott Lane, then head through Gains Park, Radbrook and Meole Brace, to get home.

52.23 miles and one of the most enjoyable rides I have done for a long long while. I will definitely be back to those picturesque lanes, North of Shrewsbury, which must be done in a westerly direction, to get the amazing views.

Can't resist did you stop at the Knockin shop :laugh: drove through the village a few times and it always make me smile ^_^ when the village gets mentioned

KingswayRider

Über Member
Apart from a couple of really gentle pootles with a very occasional cyclist mate, today's ride with @KingswayRider was my first proper accompanied ride for ages. I needed 14 miles to hit my big milestone for the month, and we ended up doing nearly 35 miles. After a quiet loop around through Haresfield, Standish, Whitminster and Frampton, we ended up doing a "Tour d'Arlingham". This involved taking every single side road we could find anywhere near Arlingham. Two of them I had never ridden before, and there is always something really satisfying about discovering somewhere new.

One new road was just a gravelly dead end lane, but it afforded a different view across the fields towards Newnham on Severn. The other was a little lane signposted "Milton End", which I had always assumed to be a dead end, but it actually looped back onto the main Arlingham Road. There was a collection of really nice houses, a beautiful little duck pond and a white donkey. The road turned to gravel for a short stretch, making you wonder whether you really should be there, but it was a great little discovery. On our way back out, we attracted the attention of a curious bull who stood on top of an embankment staring at us as we passed.

By the time I arrived back home on 34.7 miles, I had accumulated a personal best 720.8 miles in the calendar month. I may have failed in my attempt to ride every day of the month (dipping out on the windiest day) but I don't think I'll ever surpass that total. A PB that will last a lifetime.
Now I'll have to think up another challenge.
Enjoy your rides. Cheers, Donger.
Some interesting little lanes & a nice potter out. Perfect recovery for my 100k yesterday, which after very little mileage this year, was really tough (fine until 60 miles, somehow got home on 70 miles). I clocked up just over 40 today, so 111miles for the weekend & 1000m of climbing. (Same weekend last year I clocked up back to back centuries (213 miles/3000m climbing).
Fantastic effort by @Donger to hit over 700 miles in a month & I'm sure it puts you well up on target for the year. As for me, I'm over 800 miles & approx 11000 metres of ascent down on last year...and it shows. Keep up the good work & lets's start pushing out some more 100k's together soon.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My ride today on the road bike was the short trip to Wallingford, which you may be interested to know used to have a castle, built by the Norman baron Robert D’Oilly ( who also built Oxford castle) to help keep those pesky Saxons under control. Years later it was the place where Empress Matilda, the first rightful female heir to thrown of England, escaped to and rested before going to France from Oxford prison during the The Anarchy civil war around 1142.

Anyway after cycling to Wallingford we turned round and rode through the quaint village of Brightwell cum Sotwell then to North and South Moreton then home. Just 17.59 bright sunny miles today. A lovely ride only slightly spoilt by a couple of impatient and dangerous car drivers.

The wheat is growing nicely

This muppet past me then had to pull in sharply ‘cos the driver couldn’t get past The Fragrant MrsP. Twat.

Lovely late afternoon.

The council have just ‘surface dressed’ this road, bloody awful road surface.

Wittenham Clumps on the horizon in centre.

The council have just ‘surface dressed’ this road, bloody awful road surface.

Brightwell cum Sotwell

Gates to the church with a notice that people are praying...blah blah.

Don’t know what this crop is.

17.5 miles today bringing the total to just over 1400 miles for the year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom