Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Another gorgeous day, another lovely ride. 60 miles and 1100m of up.Today was a Three Peaks Ride which passed Ingleborough, Whernside and Penyghent. Fantastic views across the hills. Ribblehead was quite busy with cars and motorbikes. Had a corona cafe stop away from the car park.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
The wind seemed far stronger than predicted yesterday evening and being a south easterly the "let's not climb too much because of the heat" Nidd Brearton circuit was off the agenda as the vast majority of it would be a crosswind or headwind.
So decided to make the most of the wind by heading WNW up the drag of Penny Pot, accessed by the A59 and Burley Bank. I got a shout from a passing van that my rear light was on and I would need it when dark
Nice of them to be concerned but it was on deliberately as the low sun made forward visibility iffy at times.
Not sure if the wind assisted much due to the buffeting effect of the roadside trees but at least no head, or crosswind of note, to hinder progress and new best time for the year. Then a loop around Menwith, signs on the B6451 beyond the A59 said it was closed for 9 days from last Tuesday, that bit was open and patching had occurred, apart from the one bit that really needs it, and one patch was clearly of a pot hill nature. Mitigated the wind by a largely downhill ride back on a pretty quiet A59 with just one HGV passing. 15.51miles@14.4 mph avg with 839ft climbed.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Out into the east wind through Cramlington, New Hartley, past Seaton Delaval Hall, WhitleyBay then home via Four Lane Ends and Gosforth.... 37 miles but no hills!
Not as many on the beach as I expected in the sunshine.

Attachments

• 101387033_10214403106866599_5222095480728584192_n.jpg
    101387033_10214403106866599_5222095480728584192_n.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 92587810_10214403106026578_6300999232648118272_n.jpg
    92587810_10214403106026578_6300999232648118272_n.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 100047255_10214403106506590_1898033570945957888_n.jpg
    100047255_10214403106506590_1898033570945957888_n.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2

Landsurfer

Veteran
Well ..... Today didn't go as planned ...:sad:
At the 9 mile point i slowed down to bunny hop over a rock ... mission failure ...... I fell to my right, rotated through 110 degrees from the verticle and landed on a tarmac path on my right shoulder ...... the pain caused me to scream quite loudly .. :rolleyes: i was stunned by the event and a group of dog walkers ran to my assistance ..... Toe wiggle and a feel of the collar bones later i started to try to get up but was pounced on by the off duty nurse ...( there always seems to be one around when i get injured ^_^ ) who convinced me to stay still for a bit ....
I had damaged all the muscles in my upper back and neck and had tingling in the fingers of my left hand ....
I thanked everyone for their help and concern and promised i would walk to the main road then call my wife ...
As soon as they were all out of sight i got back on the bike and cycled off up the trail ....
But it was not too be ... in absolute agony i was picked up by our friend Jodie ... washed down by Julie then off to A&E ...
CT scan later ... no spinal damage .... lots of torn muscles ....

A&E was totally empty ... apart from us ......... waiting time to be seen ..... 10 seconds ...... :ohmy: Where are all the ill people ????

Don't worry folks ............ My bike was undamaged !!!!

The beautiful ( but potentially deadly :laugh: ) Mineral Trail from Thurcroft to Dinnington ...

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another 41 miles in beautiful, hot, sunny conditions today. I didn't look at the clock when I headed out or when I got home, so it was a nice timeless ride, stopping whenever I found the perfect combination of a shady tree and a cool breeze:

I just went wherever I felt like going, with the general aim of getting in at least 35 miles towards tomorrow's big milestone. I even took in a climb up the Cotswold escarpment via Cam Pitch, which is usually the one climb that I detest most. It is a long, straight, traffic ridden drag past housing estates, with a roundabout in the middle of the climb where you have to get into the right hand lane. There are no views to make all the effort feel worthwhile. This time I didn't mind it at all, and it was worth it for the views of the Severn Vale during the long, sweeping descent of Tait's Hill. Unfortunately the road surface was still terrible even six months after I last complained about it. That, coupled with a car hanging right on my shoulder most of the way down, meant I was unable to stop where I wanted to and get a good picture. About two thirds of the way down, I took this shot:

You can make out the River Severn in the middle distance and the hills of the Forest of Dean beyond. After that, I headed across the valley via Breadstone to Slimbridge Lane, where I started to see many more cyclists. At Slimbridge, I carried on across the canal and up to the Wlidfowl and Wetland Trust down a dead end lane to see if there was any public information posted as to when it will reopen.

After that, it was straight home, avoiding as much of the A38 as possible, by taking the lane from Slimbridge to Cambridge and turning off a bit later to Frampton (which was full to the brim again), Epney and Elmore. At the Anchor Inn in Epney, I bumped into an old work colleague I hadn't seen for three years. That, and a chance meeting with my friends Jim and Lisa outside the George in Frocester, broke the lockdown monotony for me. It is always nice to see friends. Tomorrow morning, I shall be doing my first ride with a friend for months ... socially distanced of course, and will set a personal best single month mileage record that I shall never come close to again. After that, I think I might just take a day or two off.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
My first Social Distancing ride of the Lockdown, with Paul, a former NHS manager colleague of mine, who is getting back into cycling, this year.

Warm and gloriously sunny, but a stiff easterly breeze kept things from being too stifling.

I headed out through Meole Brace and pulled into our meet up point, at the main entrance to the secondary school. Paul had sent me a text, earlier, to say he’d been canoeing for 5 hours yesterday and so he needed a gentle route! We discussed a couple of options and he decided on one of my regular routes, that I gave him as an option.

We set out through Hook-a-Gate and Annscroft, then turned down the lane to Stapleton. Again that lane was ridiculously busy with traffic, why I simply don’t know.....

We had a long wait to cross the A49, eventually getting across and down through Gonsal, overtook a couple of cyclists on the way to Condover and followed Lyons Lane, to Betton Abbots.

The final piece of Main Road, to the junction for my estate, was heaving with traffic and I was hooted at twice, by a clear knobber, for having the temerity to put my arm out and turn right at the traffic lights. Despite him wanting to join the queue of 7 cars in the left hand lane!! He turned into the Supermarket/Garden Centre, so if he was that impatient and grumpy already, watch out anyone encountering him in those heaving places today 🤡

Throughly enjoyed chatting to Paul, we kept our social distance at all times and completed 15.18 miles at 13.2mph avg

gavgav

Guru
At the 9 mile point i slowed down to bunny hop over a rock ... mission failure ...... I fell to my right, rotated through 110 degrees from the verticle and landed on a tarmac path on my right shoulder ...... the pain caused me to scream quite loudly .. :rolleyes: i was stunned by the event and a group of dog walkers ran to my assistance ..... Toe wiggle and a feel of the collar bones later i started to try to get up but was pounced on by the off duty nurse ...( there always seems to be one around when i get injured ^_^ ) who convinced me to stay still for a bit ....
I had damaged all the muscles in my upper back and neck and had tingling in the fingers of my left hand ....
I thanked everyone for their help and concern and promised i would walk to the main road then call my wife ...
As soon as they were all out of sight i got back on the bike and cycled off up the trail ....
But it was not too be ... in absolute agony i was picked up by our friend Jodie ... washed down by Julie then off to A&E ...

A&E was totally empty ... apart from us ......... waiting time to be seen ..... 10 seconds ...... :ohmy: Where are all the ill people ????

View attachment 526208

View attachment 526209

The beautiful ( but potentially deadly :laugh: ) Mineral Trail from Thurcroft to Dinnington ...

View attachment 526213

View attachment 526214
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

View attachment 526208

View attachment 526209

View attachment 526213

View attachment 526214
Oooh, ouch! :ohmy: I hope you heal quickly.

Wookee

Mapped out a decent hilly fitness test route I can use to measure myself against and gave it a run last night. I thought I'd be more of an early morning rider but it seems that after tea is perfect for me and the roads were nice and quiet, where have all the cyclists gone?? Anyway, 12 miles of ups and downs later I realised that there is no substitute for road miles. Also the bike kept jumping out of the bottom gear so some fettling required. Cresting a hill this made me smile... clearly an under-reading radar:rolleyes:
VAS Combined.jpg

A short while later I went into a 10% climb in the wrong gear and came to a dead stop, remembered riding should be fun and walked it up instead.
Had to have a little sit down when I got home. Speaking of sitting down- this was the second ride with a Brooks B17 saddle and when I stepped off I realised that I hadn't noticed it at all....how do they make these things so comfortable??
Strava 290520.jpg

Attachments

• Strava 290520.jpg
    Strava 290520.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1

ruffers

Veteran
Today’s outing was long overdue, due to family commitments I finally managed to get out and about.

I rode out of Bury through Walmersley up to Edenfield. From Edenfield I head for Owd Betts. The hill up to that was way past my current fitness levels 🤢🤢🤢. Plodded on till I was plodding no more. After this I simply turned round and gave my legs a deserved break. The breeze on the way down was great given the blazing sun I was riding into.

Picture showing the views over Ramsbottom.
1590856219488.jpeg

Picture showing the view up to the wind turbines, even though they aren’t in the shot 😂.
1590856297002.jpeg

Picture showing my well needed pit stop.
1590856364988.jpeg

Was great to get out in the glorious weather, many cyclists out and about today all enjoying the freedom of two wheels.

16.6 miles, average speed of 12.7mph.

Happy cycling everyone 🚴🏻👍🏻

Top Bottom