Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
A little late mentioning a lovely ride I did on Monday up to Donger's stamping ground. Up to North Nibley under the Tyndale monument, thence crossing the M5 and A38 to go to Purton where I stopped to admire the beautiful canal scenery. I liked the aeroplane's trail reflected in the still water.

Then home again via Berkeley, Hill, Cowhill, Thornbury and Itchington.

Very enjoyable. Later that day my wife & I returned to Cowhill with my daughter for a picnic in the church yard, and a lovely walk as well.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A little late mentioning a lovely ride I did on Monday up to Donger's stamping ground. Up to North Nibley under the Tyndale monument, thence crossing the M5 and A38 to go to Purton where I stopped to admire the beautiful canal scenery. I liked the aeroplane's trail reflected in the still water.

Then home again via Berkeley, Hill, Cowhill, Thornbury and Itchington.

Very enjoyable. Later that day my wife & I returned to Cowhill with my daughter for a picnic in the church yard, and a lovely walk as well.

View attachment 525557

View attachment 525558

View attachment 525559

View attachment 525560

View attachment 525561
Great views from Cowhill churchyard. When things get back to normal, you want to try an afternoon ride on the first Sunday of the month (Apr-Oct), taking in the village of Hill. The women's Institute put on a fantastic and very cheap cake sale that attracts cyclists from Bristol, Gloucester, Wales and all over. I always like to visit at least once a year as it is quite an occasion, with bikes all over the place. Trikes, tandems, club rides, the lot.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Great views from Cowhill churchyard. When things get back to normal, you want to try an afternoon ride on the first Sunday of the month (Apr-Oct), taking in the village of Hill. The women's Institute put on a fantastic and very cheap cake sale that attracts cyclists from Bristol, Gloucester, Wales and all over. I always like to visit at least once a year as it is quite an occasion, with bikes all over the place. Trikes, tandems, club rides, the lot.

Thanks for the tip, that sounds fantastic !

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Well, that didn't go to plan!

I was up and about early this morning with the intention of doing my first challenge ride since the lockdown. The idea was to link up three routes that I know are around 35 miles long, which would give me a century without straying more than about 12 miles from home.

The Raleigh and I were on the road before 7am and heading through Condover when I realised I'd completely forgotten to put on any sunscreen and with the day warming up already and barely a cloud to be seen that would be sub-optimal. Head home, layer on the suncream and try again.

For the second attempt I took a shorter route to Hunger Hill, then through Exfords Green, Arscott, Cruckmeole and Shoot Hill to Ford. The lanes after Arscott I haven't ridden for several years so I needed to check the map a couple of times to remind myself which way I was going at the junctions. It was nice riding though and good to have a change of scene. Reaching Ford I took a side lane to cut the corner (which turned out to have been recently resurfaced :okay:) before joining the A458 for a short stretch. I'm not overly keen on this stretch of road because it's not as wide as the motorists think it is, so you get silly passes - alright today though.

Reaching Montford Bridge I headed onto the NCN route though Shrawardine. This was as quiet as I'd hoped and very pleasant in the sunshine. I didn't follow the signed route all the way to Pentre but cut through to the Pentre road and turned for Great Ness and Baschurch. When it's quiet this is quite a nice bit of road for cycling as much of it got rolled smooth by the traffic when the surface melted in 2018.

From Baschurch I headed for Yeaton, Walford Heath, Merrington, Hadnall and Astley. Along here I started to find a couple of issues; my legs were lethargic from successive recent rides and more worryingly the recently fitted Cambium saddle was feeling rather on the firm side. At first it felt fine if I got back on after a rest but as I went along the rests necessarily became more and more frequent. I plodded on over the edge of Haughmond Hill, into Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses and Berrington where I paused for another snack stop and started to wonder whether I could manage the distance. I pressed on and at the top of the climb to Cantlop was sorely tempted to turn right and just head home. I probably should have done but decided to press on to Acton Burnell and Longnor.

There were more cyclists out round the Acton Burnell area than I'd seen the whole of the rest of the ride and pretty much all were faster than me. Reaching the crossroads at Longnor I realised I wasn't going to be able to complete the ton. My legs could have plodded round slowly all day but I couldn't cope with the saddle any more so I had to abandon the ride, heading back to Condover then over Lyth Hill to avoid the traffic.

61.5 miles for the trip (I can't even claim a metric century) at 13 mph average. After high hopes for the Cambium on the rides I've done so far, it's clear it doesn't suit me for longer distances.:sad: Time to change back to leather (except my brother currently has the B17N I took off this bike :unsure:).

Crossing Lyth Hill early on.

Approaching Montford.

At Hadnall.

Astley.

The Wrekin viewed from Haughmond Hill.

With the grass drying out, Cronkhill could almost pass for being somewhere in Italy.

View from my last food stop at Berrington.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today was supposed to be a day off, however with eggs reaching dangerously low levels, the weekend being on the horizon and my feeling uncharacteristically refreshed after a solid (if shorter than optimal) kip following yesterday's efforts, I dragged the Genesis out again post-brunch. It was the usual meander down to Fyfield then the long route home round the top of Abingdon, Radley, Kennington then up past Bagley wood and back home along the bridleway.

It was once more bloody hot and I passed many cyclists; most of whom were happy and receptive to a wave, smile or nod of the head. Less pleased to see me was the miserable sod in Cumnor Post Office, whose refusal to allow me into the (near-empty) shop with my bike led to a few choice words before I left; unable to post the package I'd optimistically taken with me. Granted I was chancing my arm in the face of general shop policy, but what harm would it have done - especially in the current atmosphere of bikes being the world's saviour..?

Thankfully the main mission was more successful; leaving the farm with another 30 quality eggs that should should see me through the next week or two. In-keeping with the generally good nature of those encountered today I even got a "thanks mate" and thumbs-up from a builder's / scaffolder's van I pulled in to let pass me from behind on a stretch of narrow road en-route to the farm.

The rest of the journey was reasonably uneventful; a bit of a headwind in places but I was fairly defiant and ended up ramping up the effort for much of the latter half of the ride. Once more the bike performed wonderfully off-road; somehow seeming more comfortable over the rough surfaces. I'm not sure if this was because I was travelling faster, my arse has become more battle-hardened or just the subjective nature of one ride compared to the next, but I'll take it where I can..

I've also been enjoying my cheapo, bundled bell since I fitted it a while ago; having got into the habit of giving it a tickle when I'm maybe 20-30yd behind people - most of whom have clearly heard it at this distance and are quick to get out of the way. I was looking for something a bit more "up market" but tbh the freebie is fairly low profile, looks decent enough and sounds fine, so in the interest of saving a load of money on an artisanal alternative it can stay (at least for as long as the live plastic hinge on the striker lasts).

I did find myself blinded by sweat at numerous points along the ride thanks to the temperature and effort but that aside it was pretty pleasant, and of course worthy since it had additional practical value. The bulk-purchase of eggs direct probably saved me about £9 compared to what I'd pay for similar in Waitrose, while the fuel to get to the farm and back would have been another couple of quid - so a tenner saved :smile:

Eggs sorted, thanks to the abortive Post Office trip and the need to visit the bank I found myself needing a trip to town. Since I don't leave the Genesis unattended anywhere I dived home, dropped off the eggs, rinsed my face, grabbed a few bits and was out again on the ofo in a matter of minutes.. what a stark contrast that was!

A few hundred yards in my smugness that I'd remembered everything was shattered by the realisation that I was still wearing my cycling shoes; although the cleats did OK on the ofo's flat pedals and I didn't have time to go back in any case since I only had about 20 minutes until the bank shut.

Inevitably the bank wasn't fun; the reasonable wait to see a cashier perpetuated and punctuated by the very loud phone conversation of another non-too-bright-sounding customer who was evidently having significant issues verifying his personal data, along with a woman whose whole existance seemed to be to endlessly count her way through a wad of £20's, coming up short by one note on every count :rolleyes:

This coupled with the selection on banal, "inoffensive" '90's pop classics dribbling out of the speakers only served to raise my blood pressure; my rage thankfully being placated by the swift application of some choice selections from NIN's The Downward Spiral on my MP3 player while I waited. After 20 minutes of my time had been pissed away on the simple task of chucking some more of our increasingly worthless Fiat tokens into the insatiable, gaping mouth of our overlord financiers, I made my way to the Post Office to be served by the same woman as last time. Thankfully she was evidently in a better mood on this occasion, although seemingly just as inept :rolleyes:

I unlocked the ofo and headed back towards home; my time on foot serving to reset my expectation of the bike (after getting straight on it after the Genesis) and remind me that the correct mindset is "it's just like walking, only you're sat down and a bit quicker" rather than trying to cane it everywhere.. a true wafter indeed.

This fresh mindset in place I took the long route back across Port Meadow (which was quite busy, not that the photo corroborates this), through Wolvercote and Wytham:

Image022.jpg

The egg run turned out at a little under 25 miles and about 450ft at 14.7mph and 140bpm, the town run maybe 10 very sedate miles at sub-10mph. This brings me to only 60-odd recorded miles so far this week, but over 500 "official" miles for the month - which I think is probably a new personal record :smile:

It was nice to get out and to use the bikes for something productive, although I'm not really feeling like doing much else for the rest of the day!

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Well, that didn't go to plan!

I was up and about early this morning with the intention of doing my first challenge ride since the lockdown. The idea was to link up three routes that I know are around 35 miles long, which would give me a century without straying more than about 12 miles from home.

The Raleigh and I were on the road before 7am and heading through Condover when I realised I'd completely forgotten to put on any sunscreen and with the day warming up already and barely a cloud to be seen that would be sub-optimal. Head home, layer on the suncream and try again.

For the second attempt I took a shorter route to Hunger Hill, then through Exfords Green, Arscott, Cruckmeole and Shoot Hill to Ford. The lanes after Arscott I haven't ridden for several years so I needed to check the map a couple of times to remind myself which way I was going at the junctions. It was nice riding though and good to have a change of scene. Reaching Ford I took a side lane to cut the corner (which turned out to have been recently resurfaced :okay:) before joining the A458 for a short stretch. I'm not overly keen on this stretch of road because it's not as wide as the motorists think it is, so you get silly passes - alright today though.

Reaching Montford Bridge I headed onto the NCN route though Shrawardine. This was as quiet as I'd hoped and very pleasant in the sunshine. I didn't follow the signed route all the way to Pentre but cut through to the Pentre road and turned for Great Ness and Baschurch. When it's quiet this is quite a nice bit of road for cycling as much of it got rolled smooth by the traffic when the surface melted in 2018.

From Baschurch I headed for Yeaton, Walford Heath, Merrington, Hadnall and Astley. Along here I started to find a couple of issues; my legs were lethargic from successive recent rides and more worryingly the recently fitted Cambium saddle was feeling rather on the firm side. At first it felt fine if I got back on after a rest but as I went along the rests necessarily became more and more frequent. I plodded on over the edge of Haughmond Hill, into Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses and Berrington where I paused for another snack stop and started to wonder whether I could manage the distance. I pressed on and at the top of the climb to Cantlop was sorely tempted to turn right and just head home. I probably should have done but decided to press on to Acton Burnell and Longnor.

There were more cyclists out round the Acton Burnell area than I'd seen the whole of the rest of the ride and pretty much all were faster than me. Reaching the crossroads at Longnor I realised I wasn't going to be able to complete the ton. My legs could have plodded round slowly all day but I couldn't cope with the saddle any more so I had to abandon the ride, heading back to Condover then over Lyth Hill to avoid the traffic.

61.5 miles for the trip (I can't even claim a metric century) at 13 mph average. After high hopes for the Cambium on the rides I've done so far, it's clear it doesn't suit me for longer distances.:sad: Time to change back to leather (except my brother currently has the B17N I took off this bike :unsure:).

View attachment 525644
Crossing Lyth Hill early on.

View attachment 525645
Approaching Montford.

View attachment 525646
At Hadnall.

View attachment 525647
Astley.

View attachment 525648
The Wrekin viewed from Haughmond Hill.

View attachment 525649
With the grass drying out, Cronkhill could almost pass for being somewhere in Italy.

View attachment 525650
View from my last food stop at Berrington.
A like for the attempt, but sorry to hear of the issues. Perhaps work back up to a century, slowly. I’ve found quite a difference, getting back into longer rides again, even though I’ve done many more shorter rides than previously?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A like for the attempt, but sorry to hear of the issues. Perhaps work back up to a century, slowly. I’ve found quite a difference, getting back into longer rides again, even though I’ve done many more shorter rides than previously?
I'm fairly sure legs would have managed it. I just couldn't do it on that saddle. If the B17N was still fitted I'm confident I'd have got round the planned route.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Out today and I headed south from Gloucester rather than north which I have been doing recently. I found a new group of destination churches for my rides so headed for the first of those. Headed for Hardwicke where I visited the church for a pic, after that I wended my way back and forth in the lanes around Elmore, Longney and Epney, lanes I've rode fairly often in the past, before heading back to the city.
Just over 27 miles, traffic much busier, especially in and around Gloucester, a fair few cyclists seen in the country lanes.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
After 20 minutes of my time had been pissed away on the simple task of chucking some more of our increasingly worthless Fiat tokens into the insatiable, gaping mouth of our overlord financiers,
I’m not sure if you intended that to be funny, but it made me bloody larf!

Anyway, a short utility ride for me today on the Brid of Hy, 5.51 uneventful miles to the little Sainsbury’s to buy some groceries, non alcoholic beer and some salted caramel Magnums. Nothing much happened except someone driving a noisy diesel far too close behind me so I just moved to the middle of the road and slowed down. That learn ‘em. Another lovely day, I should have gone for a longer ride but it’s supposed to be a rest day today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom