Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kj92

I now have 3 classic local routes, and today's route was to Hadleigh Castle and back (again). It really took it out of me this time, but I refused to give up on the brief but VERY steep incline on the return from the castle. Win!

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/FRsUuYRwO6

Tomorrow, I'm going to Stevenage to visit my friend and have a socially distanced bike ride together. I'll be sure to let you all know how it went!

SGG on a bike

A short morning warm up ride this morning headed up to Gorleston clifftop. First time riding on anything other than a proper path or road for Mrs SGG and first time on a steep(ish) downhill on loose gravel, which she coped will very well. She managed just over 9 miles non stop last weekend having completed the same route with a break the week before, so the milestones are being broken. Her average speed are creeping up too without really trying for it.

Obligatory picture of bike and sea.

I now have 3 classic local routes, and today's route was to Hadleigh Castle and back (again). It really took it out of me this time, but I refused to give up on the brief but VERY steep incline on the return from the castle. Win!

Tomorrow, I'm going to Stevenage to visit my friend and have a socially distanced bike ride together. I'll be sure to let you all know how it went!
I take it that your Hadleigh Castle is the one in Essex ? Years ago when I lived in Hadleigh Suffolk a group of tourists came into my parents shop and happened to ask the whereabouts of Hadleigh Castle ? My parents looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders and said " There is`nt a castle in Hadleigh, there is a house that looks like a castle and there is a Castle road". They had driven to the wrong Hadleigh. I just hope that they were not too disappointed.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I’ve still got a 2014 Boardman Pro Carbon in my shed. It was / still is a cracking bike.
Yep, the Boardman brand does seem to come under fire (unfairly IMO) from a few bike snobs that I know but, I don't think any other manufacturer could spec a bike so highly for the same money though. I have never owned one but have been tempted several times. I was probably being a bit picky at the time when I tried a few in Halfords but, 'something' just didn't feel right for me personally so I walked away. Does the CX bike have a particularly long wheelbase as the top tubes always felt long and made me feel as if I was stretching regardless of the frame size?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I hadn't planned to get out this morning but I was awake before my alarm went off on a beautiful morning and feeling in the mood. A test ride of the adjustments done on the Galaxy seemed like a good idea so I got that out. The route was Condover, Cross Houses, Cound, Harnage, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Cantlop, Condover and back.

Not really a lot to report on the way round: busier main roads as people readjust their behaviour, but the lanes were alright. I rang my bell for a couple of people walking their dogs near Berrington and they were still surprised to see me as they thought it was one of their phones.:laugh: Flag spotting at Cound was tricky today as there wasn't enough wind to move it round much - I think it was the flag of Bermuda.

By Cound Moor I was finding that yesterday's ride had taken more out of me than I thought. There wasn't much of a headwind as I turned northwards for home but it seemed surprisingly hard to work against so progress wasn't as quick as I'd have hoped.

20.8 miles at 15.1 mph average. No photo stops this time.

The gears seemed to perform well after the adjustments and, in particular, shifting up to the big ring is smoother even though that wasn't the focus of the exercise.:okay: We'll see how it does after a few rides.

I may get another trip in later as my brother has expressed an interest in getting out.

Yep, the Boardman brand does seem to come under fire (unfairly IMO) from a few bike snobs that I know but, I don't think any other manufacturer could spec a bike so highly for the same money though. I have never owned one but have been tempted several times. I was probably being a bit picky at the time when I tried a few in Halfords but, 'something' just didn't feel right for me personally so I walked away. Does the CX bike have a particularly long wheelbase as the top tubes always felt long and made me feel as if I was stretching regardless of the frame size?
That’s a fair observation. The ‘sportier’ Boardmans tend to have geometry that is trying to be all things to all men, and there are compromises made, which can feel a bit ‘odd’ if you’re not expecting them, in my experience. That said, they are pretty good ‘bang for the buck’.

Old jon

Guru
Always found early starts easy before I retired. As long as the sun was shining. The ride started at seven in bright sunlight this morning, and there was a significant amount of traffic. Still, no school run to cope with, riding will be fine.

And so it was. Holbeck to Hunslet to John o’ Gaunts was good. Lots of roadworks to thread through, they seem to change for every visit which I suppose is an indication that there is progress. Down past Woodlesford station a car in front of me was sticking to the speed limit, do I dare complain? It is a frustrating twenty limit, give the driver a medal. And some praise.

Swillington and on to the first sight of Hook Moor wind farm and Garforth, take the third exit from the roundabout. Up the cliff, ride on to Peckfield Bar and stay on the A63 until the turnoff for Sherburn. This road is proper quiet, once across the A1M. Think you might call it a rural landscape, some fields with stuff growing, others ploughed rather accurately, saw a lot of that. Flat topped furrows, made me think of potatoes. Still, turn left in the village, this road leads to Tadcaster, but in Barkston Ash I turned left to ride to and through Saxton, taking the road out that goes north to Towton and back onto the A162 that I had left earlier.

But not for long, the turn for Stutton comes soon. Cannot recall riding through here on a bicycle before, but I have visited in the past. Pretty little place. The road out of here to Bramham runs parallel to the A64 for a bit, this morning it was not very loud. When I crossed the bridge I could see it was not very busy either. More fields, after passing the quarry and a cluster of houses.

I chose to ride around the southern edge of Bramham, thinking it might be more peaceful. Nope, the road had recently been surface dressed, they were doing the white lines. Hmmm. Although I did learn something, Bramham has at least two lots of allotments. They outnumber the pubs! Memory insists there were three at one time. Anyway, the miles were mounting up and to reach Thorner the short way is through what was once Wothersome Village, says the OS map.

Something must have distracted me, I was riding up the first rise of Sandhills when I realised that the original intention was to pedal up Carr Lane and across the A58 to Shadwell. OK, finish riding up Sandhills, turn right onto Skeltons Lane and then turn right again at Coal Road, which crosses the A58 and lets me ride up Main Street in Shadwell. As far as Gatehouse Lane which is a steeper turn off a steep road. But fun anyway.

Ah, the numbers. My garthing said 43.43 miles when I stopped outside my front door. Typing this into the spreadsheet, indoors, said 110 metres shy of seventy kilometres. Next time for the full fig then. And 2200 feet going up, most of which must have been less than steep. Though it is always easier on the geared bike. Still with the grin for an enjoyable wander on two wheels.

The way around,

27052020.jpg

JPBoothy

Veteran
The "hi-lite" of today's ride was coming across a female cyclist in the "crouch position", knickers round her ankles answering a call of nature. Right on the path, didn't bother to go in the bushes.
I did tell her she shouldn't wear underwear under cycling shorts😀

View attachment 525377
I hope that you checked to make sure her back hadn't gone? The poor lady may have been in need of assistance :B)

JPBoothy

Veteran
That’s a fair observation. The ‘sportier’ Boardmans tend to have geometry that is trying to be all things to all men, and there are compromises made, which can feel a bit ‘odd’ if you’re not expecting them, in my experience. That said, they are pretty good ‘bang for the buck’.
Definitely the earlier ones are, I'm not sure about the current range though.. I seem to recall that the own brand stem/bars/seatpost used to look a bit heavy and clunky but then others I saw were equipped with Richey stuff which is usually very good. Even the wheels are often a Mavic offering too. Does Chris Boardman still have much to do with the Design/Spec or, is it just his name that they use these days?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I did get the second ride in. A trip over Lyth Hill and round the lanes the other side, taking in Annscroft, Longden, Stapleton, Ryton, Berriewood and Condover before heading back the short way.

Lyth Hill is still really popular with folk taking their exercise and plenty of them had driven up. Dropping down the descent it wasn't so busy and we were on the climb up to Longden before seeing the next cyclists. I took Doug along a couple of lanes which I can't recall if he's ridden before, bringing us out on the Stapleton road and more familiar ground.

Reaching Ryton, Doug was starting to struggle a little - not sure if that was the heat of the day or what, as we've done more strenuous routes than this. I took him the alternative way to Wheathall and Berriewood and we enjoyed the descent into Condover.

Doug decided to risk the main road route back to avoid more climbing and it was busy - completely back to normal levels of traffic in my opinion. Something to lift his spirits was that we caught and overtook another cyclist on the way.

15.3 miles at 11.2 mph average.

Just a few snaps from along the way.

13 rider

Guru

Well done on beating the hill

kj92

I take it that your Hadleigh Castle is the one in Essex ? Years ago when I lived in Hadleigh Suffolk a group of tourists came into my parents shop and happened to ask the whereabouts of Hadleigh Castle ? My parents looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders and said " There is`nt a castle in Hadleigh, there is a house that looks like a castle and there is a Castle road". They had driven to the wrong Hadleigh. I just hope that they were not too disappointed.

Oh no! I hope they didn't come too far! Yep, the Hadleigh in South East Essex. It's crazy how Hadleigh Castle is so hidden from the high street... beautiful spot for a picnic.... although I haven't tested the theory just yet.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A socially distant MTB ride today with my mate Barry. We went up to the Ridgeway via the knobby rooty track in Blewbury, within three miles Barry’s bike got a puncture. For some reason the tyre was a sod to get off the rim, we got there eventually. Once the flat was fixed we set off again down the fast grass bridleway, down to Bohams farm, past the two new silos by the old railway bridge, up the fire tract to The Ridgeway proper. It’s nice and quiet up there and not as many folks as I expected today.

We rode along the wide byway for about six miles into a gentle headwind then at about two miles out of Wantage we had a little over two miles of downhill single track into West Lockinge. Turning left we headed into Wantage Market place for a rest and a Magnum ice cream.

Tailwind most of the back through Lockinge, Ginge, along the Icknield Way, through Harwell Labs campus into Chilton Village then along the Lynchway down the very fast hill to Upton.

25.65 of your Earth miles, a lovely ride out in fab weather and good company.

Wittenham Clumps on the horizon far right.

This came in useful today

Fire track

The Ridgeway

Fast down hill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom