Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A simply perfect day à velo:

Metric century (by 300 metres!) on the tandem in the Cheshire lanes, all three children on their bikes too, lunch at a beautiful spot by the Shropshire Union canal, sunshine all day long, no problem whatsoever with social distancing. Now beer in hand in the garden. Bliss.

Oh, and meant to add - more cyclists than motorists on the roads today, everything from full TT rigs to child trailer towers. Long may it continue.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A Bank Holiday outing with my brother this morning. I used the Kingpin and we did a slightly extended version of the basic Acton Burnell loop by meandering round the village at the start then heading over Lyth Hill.

There were already plenty of people out and about with the car park at the hill filling up. We had to wait to get a gap in the traffic crossing the A49 but the lanes didn't have too many motor vehicles. There were however loads of cyclists out today. We were quicker than some but slower than the vast majority - that didn't matter though as this was about getting Doug's riding fitness back up.

We were heading clockwise around the loop this time which meant climbing into the wind from Pitchford to Acton Burnell and Frodesley. It made progress a little slow. Reaching the crossroads near Longnor we paused for a drink and had lorries cars and cycles coming past this usually quiet spot from all directions.

From Longnor we picked up a tailwind and Doug could press on a bit. It was an effort to keep up with him on my bike but I just about managed. At some point in its past my Kingpin has had a larger rear sprocket fitted which is nice on the hills but I think I'd prefer it to have longer legs on the flat.

Reaching Ryton, Doug had done well and we paused for another drink. We were about to get going again when a familiar looking cyclist appeared in the opposite direction. :hello: @gavgav. We had a bit of a chat before carrying on.

Doug got up some decent speed up on the descent before Condover and I only kept up by tucking down as aero as I could and pedalling like fury. It made a rider going the other way smile.:laugh: We headed back the direct way up to the A49 and found it really manic like a rush hour.

I did try counting how many other riders we saw. I lost count somewhere around 50 shortly before we met Gav and there must have been another 15 or 20 after that. It would be amazing if cycling could stay this popular.

A little over 18 miles at 12 mph average. Doug's saddle still isn't quite right but he says he's happier with it than the other one. Another adjustment tried and we'll see how that goes next time.

Pitchford Hall

Drink stop near Longnor just before the crowds turned up.^_^

Another pause at Ryton. After the ride I did a bit of tinkering and have removed that front rack off the Kingpin. I think it looks much better without.

Lovely view to the hills today.

Hello stranger.:hello:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Out today to the last church in the benefice group I have been riding to lately, which is in Apperley. Same start to previous ride, Gloucester, Twigworth, Norton, Wainlodes then on to Apperley where I stopped at the church for a pic but I cocked up and took a short video instead which I didn't realise until I got back home. Anyway, from Apperley I went to Deerhurst then up to the A38 between Coombe Hill and Tewkesbury, instead of turning right to head back to Gloucester I turned left and headed in the Tewkesbury direction and turned right at the Odessa pub and headed through Tredington to Stoke Orchard. From there I went to Elmstone Hardwicke then down Withybridge Lane then through Staverton Village and Boddington before heading to Coombe Hill and thence back to Gloucester, into the wind.
27 miles, not too much traffic and quite a few cyclists.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Much better weather than Saturday, although I did essentially the same route and for the first time this year, I was out on the Pro Carbon.
I forget what a fantastic bike this is, right from the outset it felt quicker and more responsive than the Giant.

Anyway, not having to battle mother nature I did a metric half and thoroughly enjoyed being out in the sunshine.
I won't bore you with a list of places, but here's some pics of God's Own County - none of it more than 5 miles from home in the city.

What a day for a bike ride!

31.74 miles / 51.08km and 472m of up at a moving average of 12.7mph.

Not fast by many standards, but notably quicker than the same circuit on the other bike.

gavgav

Guru
A beautiful Sunny and warm Bank Holiday morning, with a breeze to keep things from getting too hot, so promptly finished my work on call stint at 11am and then headed out for my longest ride of the year, so far.

Out through Sutton Farm estate, then Wenlock Rd and the A458, which was completely traffic free, for the first time in a few weeks and on through Betton Abbots, to Lyons Lane.

Followed that, to Condover, having to slow behind a couple of cyclists, until there was a safe place to overtake, then climbed up to the Ryton junction, where I found a certain @Rickshaw Phil and his brother, in the small layby! Stopped and had a social distance chat with them.

I then set off through Ryton village and had a slight moment, coming round a bend to find a chap in a motorised invalid carriage, smack bang in the middle of the road, with 5 people stood around him chatting at social distance! They eventually manoeuvred themselves out of the way a bit and a friendly lady apologised and said “at least you know your brakes work then”!

It was busy with cyclists down the lane to Longnor, including another lady on a Kingpin, just after I’d seen Phil out on his. After Longnor and Leebotwood, it was the long hard climb up Comley, I was certainly feeling warm by the time I reached the top and then enjoyed the fast descent into Cardington, before picking up a tailwind through Gretton and onwards, to Church Preen. Saw a tandem and a recumbent along that section.

At Church Preen I turned right and down to Hughley, then Harley, which is lovely cycling country, mostly flat or downhill and very straight lanes, meaning you can press on a bit. Saw a second recumbent along there, as well.

More nice downhill to Cressage and a short section on the A458 again, which wasn’t too bad, just 1 car to wait for at the nasty Sheinton crossroads. Had to pause at the bridge over the River Severn, due to traffic lights, but just a short wait, before I climbed up to the next crossroads and then the long climb through Eaton Constantine, to Rushton and Acton Village, with lovely views over to The Wrekin. I was expecting lots of traffic around there, due to the reports of chaos and cars abandoned all over the lanes, with people visiting for walks. Didn’t materialise though, just a few cars here and there.

I crossed the old A5 and then climbed to Wrockwardine, passing a lady who was pushing her bike up the hill, then took the lane to Charlton, which I haven’t been down in quite a while, still as sandy as ever, in places.

What I did notice, turning back in that direction, was how much the wind had got up again and it was a struggle into that headwind for most of the way home, from there.

After Charlton it was lanes to Walcot, Withington and Upton Magna, where the cafe at the pub was doing a good takeaway trade with cyclists, then Berwick Wharf.

The rat run to Atcham was the busiest section of the ride, for cars and had the 1 moron who felt it necessary to overtake the oncoming 2 cyclists, just as I met them, so he gave none of us much room. At Atcham, I went over the old bridge, pausing for a drink, looked down to see about 30 or so people out on the gravel beach of the river, crowded together and not really much social distancing going on, with kids playing in the river as well.....

The final stint was up Chilton Lane, King St, then back through Betton Abbots and home with 44.08 miles on the clock, at 12.8mph avg and 2197 ft of climbing.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

It was busy with cyclists down the lane to Longnor, including another lady on a Kingpin, just after I’d seen Phil out on his.............................
Well I never. What are the odds of that? :ohmy: Glad you had a good ride.:okay:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Warm and sunny here too but still a bit breezy and I decided to try to avoid the traffic today. Out to Northwood, Bettisfield, Hampton Bank, Lyneal managing to avoid any crowds heading to Colemere, Brown Heath, Burlton, Loppington, Horton, Paddolgreen, Edstaston , down Goblin’s Lane into Whixall and back home. The roads were much quieter today although people don’t like coming to Whixall as it’s very easy to get totally lost, still a few cyclists out. 23.48 miles @ 16mph.

Mike_P

Guru
A normal route initially today for the Defy to Fountains via the A61 and Markington but then carried on north past Aldfield and along the narrow lanes to Winksley with the climb of Fountains Gate - has an initial ramp of up to 19.8% followed by a section undulating between 5.4 and 12.6, and then another ramp of up to 16.2% before easing significantly.

On the approach in the light and shades of the trees I had convinced myself that the chain was on the small chainring so it came as an unpleasant surprise on the first ramp to find that was not the case – managed to get up in a cross chained 50-34 and then resolved them matter. I stopped by the church in Winskley to recover, and then taking it easy was not that bothered to have to slow as two horses were occupying the full width of the road but then one of riders spotted me - rest over. Onto Kirkby Malzeard where the intended route was closed, and has been since the flooding earlier in the year.

The diversion involves the use of another narrow lane and cars had managed to almost meet on the narrowest bit leading to much reversing. Onto Grewelthorpe and the question arose of where was it in the previous millennium

An instance of we must go out mania even if car parks are shut followed with cars parked all along the road in relationship with the woodland garden that contains a number of follies at Hackfall, I puzzled on how any social distancing could occur on its narrow paths. Into Masham bang on 20 miles cycled and passed the Theakstones brewery

West to the edge of Fearby Cross and then north west towards Ellingstring which involved another sharp climb, this time of Crook Lane with an almost immediate ramp of up to 18.5%.

Then from the top of Stark Bank the purpose of the ride could be seen in the valley below, the ABC “J” of Jervaulx. The tearooms and car park were, obviously, closed but their were yet more road lining of parked cars round the bend beyond. The Abbey is not actually signed, I suspected a public footpath sign might be the clue and indeed it was. The way was however barred by a pretty wide spaced cattle grid and very slippy as I put one cycling shoe on it so resorted to a photo from distance. There are a few other properties there as well so passes as a village in my book.

The top tube bag was refitted to the bike to hold the recharger for the Sportscam batteries – it just made a recharge in time for the 4th battery so proving three batteries are adequate.
Then back south on the A6108 through Masham with numerous bends and undulations. The wind became annoying as it started gusting meaning spinning to counter any gust and on the more typical A road like section closer to Ripon halfway through a socially distanced overtake of two slow cyclists I got a blast of a motorbikes horn, a suitable hand gesture was returned. En route North Stainley was passed through where this Gazebo is a listed building,

as it the clock tower in Ripon, a key feature of a road junction.

Pass the cathedral and onto Bishop Monkton where I took time out on a shady bench by the beck, before returning to battling the gusty wind and eventually and predictably acquiring the ABC “K” of Killinghall.

58.2 miles @ 13.4mph average, 4052ft climbed. Lots of cyclists about until around the last half hour of the ride.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As the lockdown restrictions have been slightly relaxed, I took the opportnity of a gloriously sunny & warm day to take my first ride outside the Ipswich area since the end of March. I'd decided to do one of my favourite routes round the Alton Water area, but as with a lot of my rides, a few diversions & additions were made on the way. It started with the usual trip through Levington & Nacton and into Ipswich where I had a quick diversion along the Waterfront which has been closed to motorised traffic to allow more space for walkers & cyclists
Sailing Barge - Victor.JPG

Then out of Ipswich, under the Orwell Bridge & up Freston Hill to Wolverstone for a stop at St. Michaels church for couple of snaps to update a post in the photography section
St. Michael's, Wolverstone (3).JPG

From there I headed to Chelmondiston and cut across to Harkstead for another photography stop.
St. Marys, Harkstead (2).JPG

After that it was the regular run through Holbrook & Stutton to East Bergholt, under the A12 and on to Raydon, then heading back home(ish) via Hintlesham & Bramford (twice thanks to a quick loop up to Little Blakenham), contiuing up to Claydon. Here the proper homeward run started up the old Norwich Road and across to Westerfield, Bucklesham and Kirton on the usual route.

I don't think I've seen so many cyclists out on a single day bfore - everything from dad with daughter in a trailer, older chap on a shopper trike, family groups right up to one guy who appeared to be on a solo time trial. Over 100 on Strava Flyby (ride only) and a fair number of those were on longer rides as well. Long may it continue.
https://www.strava.com/activities/3509130870
Screenshot_2020-05-25 Out for a Cummings Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-05-25 Out for a Cummings Ride Strava(1).png

ianbarton

Veteran
26_05_20_A_bike_ride_in_Dodcott_cum_Wilkesley_England.png

A longer ride than usual this morning (64k). Overcast and not too hot: good cycling weather. I think I broke lockdown by straying a few yards into Wales, but don't tell anybody:smile: The Post Office in Hanmer is open, but only allowing two people in a once. They are still selling their home made rolls. I bought a cheese and pickle one, plus a box of Mr Kipling snacks. I was going to sit on the bench by the mere, but it was occupied, so I sat on the bench just outside the church. Traffic now appears to be approaching pre lockdown levels. However, most of the ride is on quiet lanes.

IMG_20200526_123032165_HDR.jpg

The very impressive Church at Hanmer. A very large Church for such a small village.
IMG_20200526_133236713_HDR.jpg

Another break to eat some more Mr Kipling cakes. This time on the bench outside the Church at Prees. All this talk of Mr Kipling cakes has made me hungry, I probably need to make a non essential journey to buy some more :smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
One thing about keeping records of your mileage is that you get to enjoy all sorts of motivating milestones along the way. Today I did a little socially distanced pootle with my mate Simon again ... nothing remarkable or particularly noteworthy in itself. Then again, I've just seen that today's little 24 miler got my all time total past one and a half times around the world (the Mark Beaumont Artemis World Ride version of the distance anyway) at 27,070 miles.

Tomorrow I should follow that up by passing 1,000 miles in lockdown, and probably the next day I'll hit a new PB of 600 miles in a month. The records are coming thick and fast at the moment as I make the most of the beautiful sunny weather in Gloucestershire.

Today it was my turn to buy the expensive gelati at Wholly Cow, but I dodged a bullet as they don't open Tuesdays. Result!

Enjoy your rides everybody. Cheers, Donger.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
One thing about keeping records of your mileage is that you get to enjoy all sorts of motivating milestones along the way. Today I did a little socially distanced pootle with my mate Simon again ... nothing remarkable or particularly noteworthy in itself. Then again, I've just seen that today's little 24 miler got my all time total past one and a half times around the world (the Mark Beaumont Artemis World Ride version of the distance anyway) at 27,070 miles.

Tomorrow I should follow that up by passing 1,000 miles in lockdown, and probably the next day I'll hit a new PB of 600 miles in a month. The records are coming thick and fast at the moment as I make the most of the beautiful sunny weather in Gloucestershire.

Today it was my turn to buy the expensive gelati at Wholly Cow, but I dodged a bullet as they don't open Tuesdays. Result!

Enjoy your rides everybody. Cheers, Donger.

Kudos to you :notworthy:

Top Bottom