Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A longer ride today on the Galaxy this afternoon. I headed to Condover, Longnor and Acton Burnell then onto roads I haven't used during the lockdown to Cressage, Eaton Constantine, Uppington, Walcot, Withington, Upton Magna, Atcham then back via Cross Houses, Berrington and Condover again.

It was quite nice out, being warm with not much wind but unlike yesterday it was a bit overcast. A nice uneventful ride to Longnor then heading through Frodesley I unexpectedly came across a "road closed ahead" sign. There was no warning anywhere about this when we came through yesterday.:scratch:I carried on and found the closure was along the main street in Acton Burnell and was for telecoms work. Fortunately it was easy to get through on a bike and there didn't seem to be any actual evidence of work going on - better get a move on guys your sign says it's only closed for 2 days.;)

Carrying on to Cound Moor then Cressage there are a couple of places where some good speed can be got up. It was nice to carry straight on for Cressage at the crossroads rather than going left for Harnage. The A458 wasn't very busy to cross and I got held up at the traffic lights at Cressage Bridge. It's a climb from the bridge, through Eaton Mascott to Uppington and I had the wind against me for this section. This bike makes even the slow bits enjoyable though.

I wasn't overly impressed with the driver who overtook another cyclist on a bend as I approached but it wasn't bad enough to spoil the mood. Just after Uppington I paused to look at the view and was going to take a photo but a large insect kept dive-bombing me so I took the hint and moved away. The descent of Bluebell Lane was good even though it was into the wind. I saw fresh tarmac at the entry to the lane and thought I was going to have a lovely new surface to ride on, but no - it was only the junction. Better than nothing I suppose.

I took the longer way to Withington from Walcot then headed up the gentle climb heading for Upton Magna. From a flag I saw en-route I thought I'd get a bit of help from the wind but it didn't feel like it. A car coming the other way on the narrow bit started to pull in to the side to let me by, then the driver thought better of it and barged through anyway.:dry: Goodness, haven't Audis got wide - are they trying to compete with the tractors about who can take up the most space? :crazy:

The wind was helping as I turned southwards through Upton Magna to Atcham and getting on the drops I got some good cruising speeds going. Not quite as quick on the way to Cross Houses though. The road past Berrington Hall is open again with only a thin strip of new tarmac across the road to show for a week's closure.

Rather annoyingly the chain jammed just when I went to shift down for the short, sharp climb before the Allfield junction. This has happened on several random occasions recently on this bike so a tinkering session was needed afterwards. Hope I've fixed it.

34.3 miles at 15.6 mph average. About 30 cyclists out today including a couple on a tandem. Not as busy as the weekend but still nice to see plenty of other riders.

Happiness is Dawes Galaxy shaped.^_^

The Wrekin viewed from Rushton. You can just make out a paraglider above the hill.

All still quiet at the Mytton and Mermaid.

A few people enjoying the gravel beach at Atcham.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
12.6 miles round the Stamfordham loop on the tandem with MrsA_T, and the tandem's first p***ture halfway round.
Lovely sunny evening and a best average of 13.4mph... we're getting fitter!

JPBoothy

Veteran
Just got back from a 25ml loop which took me around the Chester Race course and along the River Dee. There were quite a lot of walkers, runners and cyclists (which is nice to see) but, the most frightening thing I witnessed during my ride was not a badly driven vehicle but, a 65kg/10st American Pit Bull Terrier off the lead walking amongst everybody in the pedestrianised area by the river. I'm sure there will be a few dog lovers who will say that I'm overreacting but to me that was a mauling waiting to happen! Sorry for the non cycling related point but it was a lot worse than a bike without a bell being ridden on the pavement in my view.

20191103_100401.jpg

DSC_1904.JPG

DSC_1903.JPG

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Did a bank holiday ride yesterday afternoon. Really didn't fancy the baking tarmac under a relentless sun, but the North Downs have plenty of woodland tracks so I dusted off my (rarely used) mountain bike, gave it some air and TLC, dragged my son away from his schoolwork Minecraft, and off we headed; with a quick pit-stop to raise his saddle by a THREE inches. OMG, young teenagers grow like weeds! Almost new bike time.

Soon left suburbia behind and headed onto the first bridleway. It starts with a few houses alongside, then a stables, then the hedges are suddenly taller & wilder, there are badger sets, and trees that look ancient and unmanaged.
1590488291154.png

Explored the area to the south of Leatherhead, Norbury Park and Polesden Lacy; some woodland, some farmland with Red Kites describing lazy circles overhead. Through occasional gaps, we could see past a few fields and a farm to woodland beyond.
The fall of the land hides most of South London out of sight, making the woodland appear like a giant swathe of forest all the way to Central London, some 15-20 miles away.
1590488597387.png

Hadn't consciously chosen a specific route, but suddenly realised I was on a familiar path that I remember walking with my grandparents nearly 45 years ago as a very young child. They are long-gone now, and enough time has passed that the memories no longer bring any pain. Indeed, such reminsces are more than welcome.

Eventually was on unfamiliar paths and at every fork had to navigate by position of sun, eventually popping out near Westhumble village. Had a drink by the remains of a chapel before heading down through the village itself.
1590506716822.png

1590506784819.png

Ooh, just noticed there's an OS benchmark below that postbox. The first I've ever seen, I'm clearly not observant enough to contriubte to @Drago's trig points and other glyphs thread, or whatever it's called.

We'd barely seen a soul so far, but Westhumble village was teeming with walkers who had left cars parked anywhere they could; they were heading for the slopes of Box Hill; the local hotspot for a 'day out'. Barely a nod to social distancing there, nor much common sense, so we headed swiftly away from the area on the cycle path North to Leatherhad, meandering sideways to take occasional glimpses of the River Mole.

Reached home with about 14 miles on the clock. I usually hare about on a road bike and had forgotten the utter delight of pottering about slowly in woodland, enjoying a gentler pace. It was probably one of my best cycling experiences in years, so I'll definitely be using my mountain bike more in future. Am so glad that my son shared the experience too, and apaprently enjoyed it - it was his longest ride ever.

gavgav

Guru
A longer ride today on the Galaxy this afternoon. I headed to Condover, Longnor and Acton Burnell then onto roads I haven't used during the lockdown to Cressage, Eaton Constantine, Uppington, Walcot, Withington, Upton Magna, Atcham then back via Cross Houses, Berrington and Condover again.

It was quite nice out, being warm with not much wind but unlike yesterday it was a bit overcast. A nice uneventful ride to Longnor then heading through Frodesley I unexpectedly came across a "road closed ahead" sign. There was no warning anywhere about this when we came through yesterday.:scratch:I carried on and found the closure was along the main street in Acton Burnell and was for telecoms work. Fortunately it was easy to get through on a bike and there didn't seem to be any actual evidence of work going on - better get a move on guys your sign says it's only closed for 2 days.;)

Carrying on to Cound Moor then Cressage there are a couple of places where some good speed can be got up. It was nice to carry straight on for Cressage at the crossroads rather than going left for Harnage. The A458 wasn't very busy to cross and I got held up at the traffic lights at Cressage Bridge. It's a climb from the bridge, through Eaton Mascott to Uppington and I had the wind against me for this section. This bike makes even the slow bits enjoyable though.

I wasn't overly impressed with the driver who overtook another cyclist on a bend as I approached but it wasn't bad enough to spoil the mood. Just after Uppington I paused to look at the view and was going to take a photo but a large insect kept dive-bombing me so I took the hint and moved away. The descent of Bluebell Lane was good even though it was into the wind. I saw fresh tarmac at the entry to the lane and thought I was going to have a lovely new surface to ride on, but no - it was only the junction. Better than nothing I suppose.

I took the longer way to Withington from Walcot then headed up the gentle climb heading for Upton Magna. From a flag I saw en-route I thought I'd get a bit of help from the wind but it didn't feel like it. A car coming the other way on the narrow bit started to pull in to the side to let me by, then the driver thought better of it and barged through anyway.:dry: Goodness, haven't Audis got wide - are they trying to compete with the tractors about who can take up the most space? :crazy:

The wind was helping as I turned southwards through Upton Magna to Atcham and getting on the drops I got some good cruising speeds going. Not quite as quick on the way to Cross Houses though. The road past Berrington Hall is open again with only a thin strip of new tarmac across the road to show for a week's closure.

Rather annoyingly the chain jammed just when I went to shift down for the short, sharp climb before the Allfield junction. This has happened on several random occasions recently on this bike so a tinkering session was needed afterwards. Hope I've fixed it.

34.3 miles at 15.6 mph average. About 30 cyclists out today including a couple on a tandem. Not as busy as the weekend but still nice to see plenty of other riders.

View attachment 525191
Happiness is Dawes Galaxy shaped.^_^

View attachment 525192
The Wrekin viewed from Rushton. You can just make out a paraglider above the hill.

View attachment 525195
All still quiet at the Mytton and Mermaid.

View attachment 525193
A few people enjoying the gravel beach at Atcham.
It was a bit different on the gravel beach yesterday, with hardly a space to be seen!

Got stung by nettles trying to get past some walkers who just stood in the middle of a narrow lane looking surprised to see anyone there rather than stand on one side☹
Just managed to avoid this today. About a thousand times, it seemed!
Cadover Bridge (like Blackpool seafront)
Except not really...
:biggrin:
Two Stocks Ride.
Long one today, for me that is. Also a shakedown for the re-flat-barred Scott. Much more comfortable. Braking efficiency up at least 100%, just due to the levers on these shifters. Gears need work, much random stuff going on at the back...that's tomorrow sorted, then...
Usual ride out on NCN 270 then 27, all the way to Marsh Mills, then down the Embankment to Laira Bridge, then on to the end of the track, which is maybe a quarter of a mile past Morrisons Plymstock. Hence two stocks, geddit?
Very busy with walkers and cyclists at pretty much all points of the journey, so pushing on wasn't an option.
Winds were kind, although a bang-on headwind coming up the ramp out of Clearbrook was a bit unwelcome.
Stats via Wahoo app: 36.58 miles; 10.5mph avg; 1708ft climbed. Odd that elevation... MapMyRide gave me nearly 500ft more for just reaching the A38 a few rides back.
Minuses: no Cateye Velo 2 for backup as I've snapped the wire off the mount. Repairable.
Pluses: found a Cateye Strada Wireless near Leg O'Mutton, completely dead. Thrown off in a huff? Fired up fine with a new battery...
:biggrin:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice ride to Safron Walden, with the other half, 85 miles longest ride since lock down, nice sunny day, took a bit of a picnic with us, sat in the park for 30 mins watching the world go by. Nice steady ride back. Legs feeling it a bit after yesterdays evenings 45 mile ride. Got home and sat in the garden with a couple of beers. All fed and watered now, ready for a napp.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3515094323#kudos
https://www.strava.com/activities/3511187333

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A little 15 mile loop this evening. The usual haunts, but with yellowhammers and linnets for company. It was nice to be out on a sunny
evening with the scent of honeysuckle on the air.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3516068112

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
About 60 minutes a go I was vegging out reading this thread and it occurred to me to go out for a ride, just quick pootle around the block, blow the cobwebs off after a day of sitting in front of a pc trying to make sense of an online survey I’m building.
Anyway I got the Kingpin out, ( it’s the only bike that’s got two working lights) and went out in the evening sunshine along the traffic free route to East Hagbourne, chatted time a couple working on their allotment and came home along the road just a smidge over four miles. I could have ridden longer had I not stopped for a chat and photos, but it wasn’t about the ride this evening , I just needed to get out for half hour or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Last two rides in three days, both with my 14 YO (nearly 15 she avidly tells me) granddaughter.
What a joy, she is intelligent, soaks up stuff we talk about, not afraid of a conversation, a wonderful young person...12 miles each ride, chatting away on country roads, the best rides I've had in a while...especially after seeing so little of her for nearly two months.

JPBoothy

Veteran
About 60 minutes a go I was vegging out reading this thread and it occurred to me to go out for a ride, just quick pootle around the block, blow the cobwebs off after a day of sitting in front of a pc trying to make sense of an online survey I’m building.
Anyway I got the Kingpin out, ( it’s the only bike that’s got two working lights) and went out in the evening sunshine along the traffic free route to East Hagbourne, chatted time a couple working on their allotment and came home along the road just a smidge over four miles. I could have ridden longer had I not stopped for a chat and photos, but it wasn’t about the ride this evening , I just needed to get out for half hour or so.
View attachment 525258

View attachment 525259

View attachment 525260

View attachment 525261

View attachment 525262

View attachment 525263

View attachment 525264

View attachment 525265
A quick unplanned ride is often the most enjoyable if the weather is nice. To be honest I don't really enjoy long rides anymore and neither does my neck/knees..The 'make it up as you go' rides are my new faves :bicycle:

colly

Re member eR
Lovely day yesterday but no bike for me. Stuff to do elsewhere but for the life of me I can't recall what took me all bloody day.
And so it was today I went instead. A bit later off than expected because I couldn't fine my Garmin. :cursing: I know it's here somewhere, just not where I usually leave it. As a consequence I've plotted the route rather than recorded it.
I wanted a few hills and took a route up towards Harrogate and then turned through Dunkeswick and Weeton. Up to The Crag and through Stainburn then down to Lindley Reservoir:
20200526_115522.jpg

20200526_115544.jpg

lindley 1.JPG

Which as you can see is looking less like a reservoir and beginning to look more like a cricket pitch.
My plan was scamper up Norwood Edge and make for Menwith Hill. OK well grind up rather then scamper, but even that didn't workout. I began in a low gear because it is after all quite long and quite steep, after about 100m I thought..... 'This is harder than I remember' So hard in fact I had an idea was in the big ring and a small sprocket. A quick glance told me no, little ring / upper end of the cassette. 'Why is it so Hard?'
Then I saw it.
Front and back tyres were blathered in tar and chippings. So much so the wheels were sticking to the bloody road and it was jamming under the forks. The road had been 'dressed', which we all know is completely crap, dangerous, short lived and a waste of money. If I was clarted up like that after 100m after a couple of k god knows what state I would be in. In fact there is no way I could have made it to the top.
After cleaning the stuff off I bumped down on the grass verge and made my way back up the other side and headed for Otley and then because I had been denied the pleasure of Norwood Edge I plumped for Newhall Carr Road up out the north side to the junction with Moor Lane.

20200526_124230.jpg

That leads to Askwith where a right takes us into Ilkley eventually. Before getting there I opted to go up to Denton and come into Ilkley from the west. Where I stopped for an ice cream from a local outfit.
20200526_131328.jpg

On again on the quiet roads to the north of the river and over Denton Bridge. Burley in Wharfedale was next andit was up again on Station Road to Burley Woodhead and the turn down to Menston. I took a pic here looking across to Otley Chevin and the road I would be going up shortly. Almscliffe Crag is on the other side of The Wharfe on the far left of the pic.

chevin 1.JPG

After the Chevin it was Bramhope, Eccup and home.

Plotted to 54.6 miles and 4200 ft or so.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32772237

Last edited:
Much better weather than Saturday, although I did essentially the same route and for the first time this year, I was out on the Pro Carbon.
I forget what a fantastic bike this is, right from the outset it felt quicker and more responsive than the Giant.

Anyway, not having to battle mother nature I did a metric half and thoroughly enjoyed being out in the sunshine.
I won't bore you with a list of places, but here's some pics of God's Own County - none of it more than 5 miles from home in the city.

View attachment 524977

View attachment 524978

View attachment 524981

View attachment 524984

View attachment 524985

View attachment 524986

What a day for a bike ride!

31.74 miles / 51.08km and 472m of up at a moving average of 12.7mph.

Not fast by many standards, but notably quicker than the same circuit on the other bike.
I’ve still got a 2014 Boardman Pro Carbon in my shed. It was / still is a cracking bike.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
After yesterday's ride to the south west of Ipswich, today I decided to have my first ride of the year to the north east, taking in the roads around and through Tunstall & Rendlesham forests.

This started with an almost direct back road route up to Woodbridge through Kirton, Newbourne & Waldingfield, through Woodbridge and then the road to Hollesey where to the right there is the open heathlands and on the left the start of Rendlesham forest and MoD Woodbridge. From Hollesley there's a winding road up to Butley then the 'B' road through Chillesford
St. Pater's, Chillesford.JPG

up to the turnoff onto another 'B' road which takes you through
Tunstall Forest (1).JPG

At his time of year, it's not only the trees in the forest, there's plenty of other colour
Tunstall Forest (2).JPG

At the end of the road in Tunstall, the turn for home was made, down through Rendlesham and past what was RAF Bentwaters, back into Woodbridge and across to Kesgrave and another woodland section in Foxhall before Bucklesham and home. Worst problem of the day - swarms small flies/insects sticking to the sunscreen on my arms!
https://www.strava.com/activities/3514296104
Screenshot_2020-05-26 Just checking my eyesight Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-05-26 Just checking my eyesight Ride Strava(1).png

Top Bottom