Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Finally got the west wind I've been waiting for to have a go at the Ryals again.

I didn't get up the steepest bit last time on the Cyclone [10 years ago] but today was the day so feeling very happy! 1500 feet up and down.
The wind on the way out was constant and tiring but so worth it coming back! I even got stuck behind a tractor on the long downhill stretch into Matfen so plenty of time to get my breath back! [31.6 miles in 1hr 59 m, 40 sec...:laugh:].
Thankfully the rain kept away but the clouds look stormier on the photos than I remembered.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That Laahnden on Zwift including Leith and Fox hills.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3505430482

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I rode to North Huish today, for no other reason than I’d never been before....

Its not Las Vegas!

I took as many Quiet roads on the way out, it was Nice and peaceful up the ridge road from Sheepham to Ugborough Garage. Then on to California Cross before turning of toward North Huish. Typical little, narrow Devon lanes. Beautiful farms and scenery. North a Huish was wonderful.... very small and very quiet!

Back via Avonwick. The 5 miles down to Ermington from Ugborough was into a horrible headwind. Home via Creacombe.

31 miles exactly.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3504009676/

colly

Re member eR
A Sunday afternoon jaunt. Not alone. I had with me my great nephew, which was great. We did a ride out to Thorner via Shadwell and few lanes. I went out with James for a ride in January and this is the first time since then. James isn't a cyclist. 5 miles from home and it was showing,
10 miles in and we were on song bowling along. 12 miles and we needed a break.
'How far is it back?' Hands, legs, bum, neck, all were 'in agony' it seems.
'If we go directly, about 7 or 8 miles' I answered.
On the way back we had to stop a couple of times, including to buy some refreshments and walk up some inclines. When we got home James collapsed into a chair barely able to move.
I think as cyclists are so used to doing mile after mile we forget what it was like when we first started cycling. We did 19 miles in total, which for a non cyclist is quite a stretch. James isn't unfit, just unaccustomed to cycling.
So after dinner, something to drink and a sit down James was like: 'Ok so where are we going next time?'

19 miles and 1200 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49453133

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Great shot - loads of depth, texture and movement, plus I like the simple composition :smile:

Three for the price of one today!

Friday's wind and feeling-grotty-upon-waking meant I didn't much like the idea of the planned 20-odd mile trip to the homestead, but as the day wore on I became uncharacteristically motivated and the thought of rotting here unproducively all weekend overcame any fear I had about the wind so I packed up my gear and headed out at about 18:00.

I followed the same stretch of NCR5 I've done a few times now; however this time instead of following it left at the end of the track out of woodstock I carried on; the track getting rougher but remaining manageable and passing a load of really nice isolated houses not far from the main road but nicely secluded on no-through roads.

I minced around here getting lost for a bit before finding my way and continuing further north along a nice (if a bit rough) bridleway and out onto the road near Middle Barton, from where I continued to my destination on quiet, familar backroads.

It turned out to be a really nice ride. The wind was a bit of a pain but mainly across me and manageable, while its effects on the scenery made the journey seem somehow more visceral.

I enjoyed finding my way along the hidden paths; the sense of adventure hightened by the increasing speed I allowed the Genesis on rough descents as my confidence grows and death-grip on the brakes relaxes; uneven ground becoming more of an enjoyable experience when I'm in the mood to get out of the saddle and throw the bike about a bit.

This experience also further reinforced my conviction in buying the bike as it handled terrain admirably that would have been off the menu for a road bike; once more highlighting the CdF's versatility and with it the greater ride opportunities and practicality this brings.

The closer I got to home the more ethereal the atmosphere became as the sun got lower and shadows longer in its rich golden glow - a shot from the newly-discovered bit of bridleway:

Image019.jpg

I treated myself to some egg-fried rice en-route and felt really positive to be back once I got home :smile:

Saturday was a bit crap but I managed to get some of what I'd planned done, having elected to stay until today given the pretty nasty wind forecast - looks like they got that right!

I set off on the return journey early afternoon and followed much the same route back; the wind again mostly across me - sometimes with a head or tail component and only once or twice really against me.

This was the first time I'd ridden the NCR route in this direction; the 3ish miles of undulating singletrack into Woodstock having a general downward gradient which only added to the desire to up the pace, and by about halfway through I'd subconsciously ramped up to going at it pretty hard. The close-ish undergrowth on either side of the path intensifies the sense of speed and the path is (mostly) well-sighted so there's little concern as to what's around the next bend.

I'm not at all used to this sort of riding and it was exhilarating to cane along the track at close to max-effort; out of the saddle and constantly shifting my upper body to dodge overhanging flora or move weight around to aid threading the bike through rough patchs / between obstacles :becool:

Only once did I think I'd overcooked it braking down to a poorly-sighted bend, but the excellent control afforded by the hydro 105 setup quickly made the situation manageable.

Upon arrival at Woodstock I was pretty rinsed, but after a gentle stretch the pace picked up again as I headed back through Yarnton; the lack of traffic allowing me to dart out onto the empty duel carriageway to avoid the various obstacles to the cycle path presented by side roads. I also managed my first ever decent bunny-hope; for once dismounting a kerb with both wheels satisfying hitting the road together rather than the usual jarring drop of the front wheel first - pity there were no 12yr-olds in the area to be impressed by my mad skills..

Due to the minimal traffic I chose to ignore the cycle path's convoluted route over the Peartree roundabout and instead just bowled straight onto it and down into town via the Woodstock road; again at close to full effort - hamstrings burning I think due to the punIshment they'd had earlier in maintaining a comfortable inch or two between my arse and the saddle over the rough stuff.

The Woodstock road yielded a few new Strava PBs; although fap knows how much better they are or where I am relative to everyone else :sad:

Back home I arranged for a guy to collect the old calipers off my road bike; turns out he wasn't too keen on my hill so I ended up meeting him closer to town. He turned out to be sound and was buying them to modernise the old steel road bike he was riding; which looked like a cracking project.

Once out again I decided to continue on a gentle recovery ride, which slowly morphed into a trip to the chippy - the precious being ovened for 10 minutes when home to crisp them up and covered in grated cheese before being mercilessly devoured..

Another cracking day's riding; leaving legs aching, body glowing and mind at peace :smile:

Friday's ride was 23ish miles and 840ft at 13.1mph and 124bpm, the return leg today a similar distance with 705ft of climbing at 14.9mph and 130bpm, and the chippy mission a little under 11 miles at 11.3mph and 113 bpm.

This brings me to 131 miles for the week, 442 for the month (looks like @Donger's beating me!) and 710ish miles on the bike since I got it about five and a half weeks ago. Big numbers for me!

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
The wind had died down today to “moderate breeze “ according to the weather app so a longer ride. Set off to Loppington, Commonwood, Ruewood, Nonely, Myddle, Burlton, English Frankton, Colemere past Colemere to Newtonmore, past Blakemere, Welshampton, Lyneal, Bettisfield, Northwood, Whixall back to Northwood and home. It had started off with very little traffic about but there
were more cars on the lanes around Colemere than on the main roads which I have never seen before, more cyclists and walkers out as well than there has been. Got stung by nettles trying to get past some walkers who just stood in the middle of a narrow lane looking surprised to see anyone there rather than stand on one side☹️. 33.73 miles @15.7mph.
A968097F-852D-455C-A587-CA928437EAC8.jpeg

C R

Guru
Sunday morning and ride again. I had been considering postponing to tomorrow for the lighter winds, but the forecast said that the wind wouldn't pick up until after ten, by which time I was expecting to have finished the ride anyway, so I went out.

The plan was to ride into the wind as far as Tewkesbury, and then use the wind for some help on the return.

Out at 6:40, under rather grey and uninspiring skies, but it wasn't cold, and as soon as I got my legs turning I was happy.

The wind was mostly against me all the way through Kempsey and the A38 up to the turn for Kerswell Green. The lane up to Madge Hill is quite sheltered, so the wind wasn't as annoying, but the descent through Kinnersley towards Earls Croome was again into the wind, but not as bad as expected. I was making good progress. Past Upton, up the short hill after the rugby club and then a left for Longdon. The road is more exposed here, and I was having to work a bit harder in places, but once past Longdon, the descent to the Ledbury road was quick, and taking the left I soon reached the Mythe Bridge.

I stopped at the bridge for a drink and a bite to eat, while enjoying the views such as they were under the grey clouds.

IMG_20200524_075241419~2.jpg

Quite a few cycling went past while I was stopped, all in good spirits, it seemed.

It was now time to head to Tewkesbury, and start turning for home with the wind behind me.

As I turned towards Bredon, I could see another cyclist ahead, and I thought I would try and catch them, with the help of the wind. I was making ground, but only very slowly, as I had only reduced the distance a little by the time we reached Bredon. The cyclist in front turned left for Eckington, so I continued chase. I finally managed to catch up just before the turn for the Combertons, about six miles since I first caught sight of them.

Eckington passed quickly, and I had a second stop at my favourite spot by the bridge. The Avon is now well within its banks, and the won was making it look as if it were flowing backwards.
IMG_20200524_082508028_HDR~2.jpg

The last stretch took me through Pershore, up Holloway, and then down Rebecca road against the wind again. Still, my legs were responding well today, and I made it home before 9:30.

The Garmin said I had recorded a new fastest time over 40km, but when I checked it turns out I had only beaten my record by 1 second :laugh:. Anyway, I did register a reasonably fast ride for my standards, and made it home before the wind picked up properly. The map.
IMG_20200524_221908.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
The wind had dropped to sensible proportions by 7pm so the Defy west on the A59 to the Hampsthwaite crossroads and then via Burley Bank to Penny Pot. Still a strong breeze which on the higher exposed west end of Penny Pot had a clear mitigation effect on speed on down grades. Very rarely it was not until I got to the end that a cyclist actually went the other way and as I write this Strava has no one else having gone west today. South on the B6451 I could not get pass another cyclist

and who sat in front of me on the approach to the climb close to Little Armscliffe.

A new PR up it and then down to Beckwithshaw. Looped south off the Otley Road and then rejoined it passing the still brown area of the Stray that was the UCI Fan Park.

Decided to loop homewards along the A59 so continued east along York Place.

19.93 miles @13.9mph avg 1220ft climbed

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As it was my stepfather's birthday on Sunday, the only thing I had to do was get there for a small gathering (mum, stepfather, sister & myself in separate corners of the conservatory having a natter & a laugh) and home again. I took the Bootziper for a bit of off road stuff on the way there and with the intention of heading to Felixstowe Ferry and a short ride along the river wall before heading back on a rough track inland to Falkenham and then home.

It was still cloudy and quite breezy by the time I headed home after a couple of hours round mum's, but I had a change of mind as I got to the track for Falkenham and just kept going up the river wall alongside the River Deben as I've not been along there before and wanted to see how far i could go.
River Deben (2).jpg

In the end it turns out that the riverside footpath/track ended at Hemley where I had to go back on road up to Waldringfield, off road again (mostly) to Brightwell and then all on road Trimley bafore going off road again along gun Lane and the bridleways to the south of the rail line to make the mileage up to a total of 25 with probably around 1/3 of that being off road.
Screenshot_2020-05-25 Up the river Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-05-25 Up the river Ride Strava(1).png

delb0y

Legendary Member
Did the same ride as yesterday, for the same reasons. Managed to get out earlier when the mist was still on the canal and the river, which was all rather pretty. Main point of interest today was that I took the Tricross instead of the Toughroad and got round almost 2 mph and 15 minutes quicker. Part of it must be the wind - it was much easier today - but it just (or just might) go to show that the bikes do make a difference. The Toughroad has wide dual-purpose tyres, whilst the Tricross has road tyres on there, plus the Tricross weighs in at svelte 13 kg versus the Giant's 17 kg. Anyway, time for brekkie now :-)

Gunk

Guru
Just over 80 miles today for me, down to Ringwood and back.
View attachment 524545
My favourite cycle cafe has reopened for takeaways
View attachment 524546

Pony
View attachment 524549

cart wheel.
View attachment 524550

Gate

View attachment 524551

Tide mill.
View attachment 524552
Ted Bates.
View attachment 524553

80 miles in wind conditions that made the bike feel like it was possessed at times. I was shouting “I need an old priest and a young priest” and “The power of Christ compels you” and the other line about the priest’s mother. Anyone in earshot would have thought I’d gone mad. Other than the crazy wind, it was a lovely ride out on the new toy.

Stunning bike!

Mr Celine

Discordian
Sunday's ride. The constant drizzle or rain that has been in the wind since Thursday finally stopped and said wind had also finally dropped enough to be able to stay upright on two wheels, but it was still considerably stronger than the met office seemed to think.
A went for a 40 mile anti-clockwise circuit on main roads which are considerably busier than at the start of lockdown but still very lightly trafficed compared to normal. I intended doing the whole circuit non-stop but had to make one stop to water a hedgerow and once stopped thought I may as well take a photo, the whins being in full bloom to add some interest.
Picture looks towards the Eildon Hills from Lilliardsedge on the A68.

Lilliardsedge is named after a legendary female warrior who fought at the nearby battle of Ancrum Moor (1545). There is a monument to her half a mile to the east, where the roman road crosses the hill, which has the inscription -

Fair maiden Lilliard lies under this stane
little was her stature but muckle was her fame
upon the English loons she laid monie thumps
and when her legs were cuttit off she fought upon her stumps.

Sounds like the black night in Monty Python and the holy grail.:laugh:

The map-
1590409641159.png

39.4 miles @ 16.7 mph, 704m upwards.

Top Bottom