Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ruffers

Veteran
Well ..... Today didn't go as planned ...:sad:
At the 9 mile point i slowed down to bunny hop over a rock ... mission failure ...... I fell to my right, rotated through 110 degrees from the verticle and landed on a tarmac path on my right shoulder ...... the pain caused me to scream quite loudly .. :rolleyes: i was stunned by the event and a group of dog walkers ran to my assistance ..... Toe wiggle and a feel of the collar bones later i started to try to get up but was pounced on by the off duty nurse ...( there always seems to be one around when i get injured ^_^ ) who convinced me to stay still for a bit ....
I had damaged all the muscles in my upper back and neck and had tingling in the fingers of my left hand ....
I thanked everyone for their help and concern and promised i would walk to the main road then call my wife ...
As soon as they were all out of sight i got back on the bike and cycled off up the trail ....
But it was not too be ... in absolute agony i was picked up by our friend Jodie ... washed down by Julie then off to A&E ...
CT scan later ... no spinal damage .... lots of torn muscles ....

A&E was totally empty ... apart from us ......... waiting time to be seen ..... 10 seconds ...... :ohmy: Where are all the ill people ????

Don't worry folks ............ My bike was undamaged !!!!

View attachment 526208

View attachment 526209

The beautiful ( but potentially deadly :laugh: ) Mineral Trail from Thurcroft to Dinnington ...

View attachment 526213

View attachment 526214

Take care and glad it’s not too serious. 🚴🏻👍🏻

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Ride this morning with Mrs Tuesday, then felt the hills calling and a cheeky 2nd ride with some suitably brutal climbs this afternoon. 40 miles across both, fabulous cycling, now beer and bbq time.

But my, there were a huge number of utter bellends racing around the peak district this afternoon. Never experienced as many, ever.

Gunk

Guru
After a day of working on my Raleigh Royal, my son and I had a short ride along the Thames this evening, a bit too busy but still nice to get out.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
25 miles on the road bike this afternoon, blue skies, hot sun. I was going to do my normal 15 mile circular route but the other way round but I changed plans when I got to Brightwell cum Sotwell and turned left up to Wittenham Clumps, then down to Clifton Hampden to Culham, Sutton Courtney, Steventon, through Rowstock then up the hill to Chilton and back down to Upton and a little loop around the village.

A bit of a wind, that seemed to be a headwind no matter which way I turned, no matter a smashing day for a ride, better than working. I forgot to take my fruit based mobile device with me today, so no photos. Soz.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out early-ish on the Boardman for another pretty familiar loop and my third metric half this month. I can't remember last time I got three qualifying rides in a month.

For a bit of variety I climbed Church Hill out of Thorner and rode past Bramham Park through the dip at Wothersome, which was energetic but made a nice change.

Unsurprisingly, it was very busy out there.

31.65 miles (50.94km) and 492m of climbing at an average of 12.5mph.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I picked my bike up from the Bike Cellar this afternoon after it’s first, free service. It’s not far from Jennycliff, soi did the obligatory ride up the hill with views to Cornwall.
On to Wembury and a stop at the church. I was married here 27 years ago. Since she admitted having an affair I’ve been back a couple of times. I’m ok with it now. Her loss.

On through Spriddlestone and thr the quiet back lanes from Brixton.
20 warm, sunny miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3536208731/

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was hot enough to melt some of the lanes today but with enough breeze to make it feel a bit cooler so seemed like a good idea to get another 50k challenge ride done. Started off to Northwood, Whixall left at the crossroads at Hollinswood to Fenns Bank, Fenns Wood, Alkington, back to the crossroads at Hollinwood to take the opposite turning to Tilstock where there was some mobile pot hole fixing happening, Steel Heath, Coton Wood, Lower Houses, Stanley Green, Coton , Waterloo, Edstaston, Ryebank, Horton, Loppington, Lyneal, back into Northwood and home. All the crowds of people out on the lanes 2 months ago have disappeared and I saw more horse riders again than walkers and a few cyclists.32.85 miles @15.8mph.
8CA44C63-BA5C-4E40-A6C9-0AA39759574F.jpeg

14393F06-BADB-4E56-B3E3-291A251E2DC5.jpeg

First picture is the view from by the green burial site at Alkington, apparently on a clear day you can see as far as Liverpool further round but the hedge is in the way from the road. Other picture is Steel Heath.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Once more round my 21 mile loop. Planned to go further this weekend but woke up late (twice!) and thus didn't get going until 9:00. Maybe next weekend. Not sure it's getting any easier yet, but this was the first time my knee didn't hurt - although I think that's less that it's getting better and more that I'm learning not to push too hard at certain angles. Weird thing was, in the week, I drove about 1 mile to do a Tesco Collect and Click and my knee was really hurting after just a few minutes in the car. Maybe it's that...

13 rider

Guru
So every May for the last 4 years I have riden a local charity event The Charnwood Forest ride in support of Alex's wish fighting Duchene Muscular Dystrophy obviously this year it can't happen . An E mail dropped in my inbox last week inviting you to pick a distance 10,20 or 50 miles the distance of their normal routes make a donation and get some sponsorship and ride . Signed up for the 50 as I needed a 100km ride for the monthly challenge I chose to ride to the normal start point by an extended route then do the normal charity ride route and home will be enough .Out the door at 0715 and it's already warm . Anstey ,Newtown Linford ,Groby ,Anstey ,Cropston and Rothley to the community centre were the ride starts . I always done the ride in under 3 hours so that's the target but the legs are feeling the 10 miles done so wasn't sure I could do it . Rothley ,Cropston around the back of Bradgate park steady drag up past the golf course a quick climb up Maplewell rd then drop into Woodhouse Eaves through the village and the climbing really starts up Beacon Hill a quick descent then onto Priory lane first steep ramp done as I chased a rider up it very rapid descent were I past the rider then onto the next ramp which starts gentle but just keeps getting steeper . Dropped into the little ring early as the rider who I'd past flew by me and put a bit of distance into me . Found my rhythm and spin my way up slowly reeling the rider in as we hit the steep bit the rate I was catching him sped up and I was past him before the top . Left at the crossroads and a quick descent down Polly Botts lane along Ulverscoft lane to the bottom of Sharpley hill just spun my way up and thankfully most of the big climbs done in the first 16 miles . Back last the Golf course through Swithland and back to Rothley and up the Wreake valley vis Cossington ,Ratcliffe ,Thrussington ,Hoby then the climb up towards Ragdale then drop into the village then you have to climb back out up a bit of a brute . At the top I check the stats and 3 hours is looking doubtful but all the climbing done . Had a tailwind down Paudy lane so opened the taps 25mph for 2 miles drop though Walton ,Barrow ,Mountsorrel ,Quorn ,Swithland ,Cropston and back to the start at Rothley . Really pressed on for the last 10 miles and snuck under 3 hour 2.58.06 . The charity ride loop was 48.7 miles with 3000ft of upness . After a quick rest it was back home via Cropston 62.5 miles in the bag with 3668 ft of upness in 3.52.38 @16.1 mph in absolutely gorgeous conditions
If anyone would like to donate here's the linky thing
https://alexswish.charitycheckout.co.uk/pf/philip-plummer

Last edited:
Lovely ride around Dee Valley this morning, how blinkin nice is it out there?
Stopped off at Pontcysyllte aqueduct not far from Wrexham, designed by Thomas Telford 1790's, an engineering marvel at the time.

Serious tempted to go for a dip, particularly after traversing some of the killer hills either side of the valley, glad i didn't go out too late at least.

28 miles, some of the best countryside i have seen in a while as well. :okay:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Apart from a couple of really gentle pootles with a very occasional cyclist mate, today's ride with @KingswayRider was my first proper accompanied ride for ages. I needed 14 miles to hit my big milestone for the month, and we ended up doing nearly 35 miles. After a quiet loop around through Haresfield, Standish, Whitminster and Frampton, we ended up doing a "Tour d'Arlingham". This involved taking every single side road we could find anywhere near Arlingham. Two of them I had never ridden before, and there is always something really satisfying about discovering somewhere new.

One new road was just a gravelly dead end lane, but it afforded a different view across the fields towards Newnham on Severn. The other was a little lane signposted "Milton End", which I had always assumed to be a dead end, but it actually looped back onto the main Arlingham Road. There was a collection of really nice houses, a beautiful little duck pond and a white donkey. The road turned to gravel for a short stretch, making you wonder whether you really should be there, but it was a great little discovery. On our way back out, we attracted the attention of a curious bull who stood on top of an embankment staring at us as we passed.

By the time I arrived back home on 34.7 miles, I had accumulated a personal best 720.8 miles in the calendar month. I may have failed in my attempt to ride every day of the month (dipping out on the windiest day) but I don't think I'll ever surpass that total. A PB that will last a lifetime.
Now I'll have to think up another challenge.
Enjoy your rides. Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom