The Apprentice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Sugar's net worth is estimated at £1.4 billion, not bad for a guy who started out selling car radio aerials in a market. He is also very stringent in his belief that people should pay their taxes. When he took over Tottenham Hotspur he went through the books and discovered the club had been fiddling their accounts and his first action was to go straight to the Inland Revenue to give the true picture and pay what was due, even though it severely impacted on the business which he now owned, meaning among other things that the club's best two players, Gascoigne and Lineker had to be sold.

We could do with a few more failures like that.

Been shown on here before but I'd like to be able to write one lol

4132FB2100000578-0-image-a-47_1496847410220.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
To say some of Sugar's businesses have failed/been taken over, while true, is just snidey carping.

Roger Federer lost a game the other day.

Oh well, I always said he was a crap tennis player.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
When Sugar joined the Labour Party he was lauded by some as a successful businessman lending credibility to their economic policies. When he left the party because of Corbyn and his risible economic fantasies, Sugar became a business failure overnight.

I was invited to an interview years ago but it was miles away and couldnt be arsed. Often wondered how the fark sugar made any money at all watching him judge the contestants, surely after the first x number of series he should have said something about the editing even if it was only for his own rep. Often feel if i was the the project leader i would have fired half the idiots on the team myself.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Whether Sugar is a likeable character is open to question, but his ability to make money in business is not.

Many of the 'Thatcher's children' entrepreneurs went skint or got themselves into some scrape or other.

Sugar has been remarkably long lasting, and I've not heard a whiff of dodgy dealings despite his cockney wide boy character.

He also appears to live a clean private life, long term married, speaks fondly of the grandchildren, etc.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
To say some of Sugar's businesses have failed/been taken over, while true, is just snidey carping.
To be pedantic, I said that almost all of his business ventures have failed. Which is also true.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 5402183, member: 76"]Did you read page 2?[/QUOTE]
You know, I did, I'm sure that wasn't there earlier.
Anyway, mine was a reply to Pale Rider so I make no apologies.

Sorry.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
To be pedantic, I said that almost all of his business ventures have failed. Which is also true.
Be that as it may, he has a net worth of (reportedly) £1.15bn so I think that puts him firmly in the "successful" category of business people.

Don't watch the Apprentice. I'm involved in "business" so the idiocy and ineptitude of the candidates annoys me. I know it's an entertainment show first and foremost but i find myself talking at the TV which can't be good

srw

Be that as it may, he has a net worth of (reportedly) £1.15bn so I think that puts him firmly in the "successful" category of business people.
Have a look at this:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-a...sugar-make-money-property-empire-rich-2017-10

It gives you the gen first on how much he lost on his only "successful" products, and second on how much of his (paper) wealth has derived from that traditional activity of the British upper classes - owning property. If you've had money sitting in London property recently then it's taken no skill at all to have seen it grow. Unless you're going to claim that every homeowner in the capital is a successful business person?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Have a look at this:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-a...sugar-make-money-property-empire-rich-2017-10

It gives you the gen first on how much he lost on his only "successful" products, and second on how much of his (paper) wealth has derived from that traditional activity of the British upper classes - owning property. If you've had money sitting in London property recently then it's taken no skill at all to have seen it grow. Unless you're going to claim that every homeowner in the capital is a successful business person?

Well we can all choose our own definition of "successful" I guess. Happening to own a house that has increased in value doesn't meet that definition in my view. Having a net worth equal to 2,400 London houses probably does

What he seems to have done, successfully, is taken his money from the sale of Amstrad (sold for a much smaller number than it was once worth admittedly) and ploughed it into property development.

All you've got to do is start a business from nothing and sell it for £125m to give you the capital to get it going. Easy, huh?

srw

All you've got to do is start a business from nothing and sell it for £125m to give you the capital to get it going. Easy, huh
Two good ideas, well executed, followed by a string of failures and a lot of low risk rent extraction doesn't make you the "successful businessman" a lot of people are claiming he is. He's a one-time entrepreneur living off the past.

You probably haven't heard of most successful business people because they've quietly got on with making a success of difficult and failing businesses, usually employed by someone else and in high risk circumstances. "Successful business person" is neither a synonym for "entrepreneur" nor for "rich person".

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Two good ideas, well executed, followed by a string of failures and a lot of low risk rent extraction doesn't make you the "successful businessman" a lot of people are claiming he is. He's a one-time entrepreneur living off the past.

You probably haven't heard of most successful business people because they've quietly got on with making a success of difficult and failing businesses, usually employed by someone else and in high risk circumstances. "Successful business person" is neither a synonym for "entrepreneur" nor for "rich person".
Nor is it an antonym. You can measure "success" in business however you like but accumulation of wealth isn't a bad metric, particularly when the individual started with nothing
We aren't going to agree on this matter. You think he's not a successful business person by your criteria, I disagree.
I wouldn't mind being as unsuccessful as Sugar

Top Bottom