The Apprentice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Be careful what you say about Lord Sugar chaps, he looks in on the forum now and again!

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's fun to watch, in a OMG, are you for real???? kinda way :smile:
Was glad that one got sacked ... must be a flipping nightmare to work with!!!
We thought they'd keep her in. She's a nightmare, but good telly. Thought they'd get rid of the other one, for stitching up the one that was PM. Once in the boardroom though she did pull a quite entertaining series of ridiculous faces, which is probably what saved her.

Isn't this why we watch it?
The wife and I place bets on who's going to get fired, looser has to load / unload the dishwasher.
(this is usually decided by Bop-it 1-on-1)

A friend of mine interviewed a year or two back, decided he didn't want to be away from home for the length of time required.
It’s ‘up to’ nine weeks, from early April. I was cool with that, I can see why a lot of people couldn’t spare that sort of time though

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The chap has a rolls and a chopper having started selling wooden blocks as kindling in London as a kid
He's more of a successful businessman than I am.
Amstrad makes 90% of the skyboxes in the UK, he's not buying and selling companies on the same scale as Branston (who's nearly gone bust a few times) or as cutting edge as Musk but he's not bad at business and admits to the odd error.
LOL

He had two properly successful products: the Amstrad PCW word processor and the 1640 PC. He sold Amstrad in the late 2000s to Sky, so the current set-top-box business is entirely the creation of Murdoch acolytes.

He had a string of failures, from emailers to satellite dishes to game consoles to many other computers.

"A more successful entrepreneur than (X)" is not exactly a high bar. Even Donald Trump, a catastrophically unsuccessful property magnate, gets over it for most values of X.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5401101, member: 9609"]never watched the apprentice but from what I have heard about Sugar is he fairly decent bloke. Done well for himself thats for sure[/QUOTE]
Yebut he didn't go to Uni, did he?

Therefore he's just some jumped up working class spiv with ideas above his station.

screenman

Legendary Member
The chap has a rolls and a chopper having started selling wooden blocks as kindling in London as a kid
He's more of a successful businessman than I am.
Amstrad makes 90% of the skyboxes in the UK, he's not buying and selling companies on the same scale as Branston (who's nearly gone bust a few times) or as cutting edge as Musk but he's not bad at business and admits to the odd error.

Also, he rides bikes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Also, he rides bikes.
Sugar's net worth is estimated at £1.4 billion, not bad for a guy who started out selling car radio aerials in a market. He is also very stringent in his belief that people should pay their taxes. When he took over Tottenham Hotspur he went through the books and discovered the club had been fiddling their accounts and his first action was to go straight to the Inland Revenue to give the true picture and pay what was due, even though it severely impacted on the business which he now owned, meaning among other things that the club's best two players, Gascoigne and Lineker had to be sold.

We could do with a few more failures like that.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Sugar's net worth is estimated at £1.4 billion, not bad for a guy who started out selling car radio aerials in a market. He is also very stringent in his belief that people should pay their taxes. When he took over Tottenham Hotspurs he went through the books and discovered the club had been fiddling their accounts and his first action was to go straight to the Inland Revenue to give the true picture and pay what was due, even though it severely impacted on the business which he now owned, meaning among other things that the club's best two players, Gascoigne and Lineker had to be sold.

We could do with a few more failures like that.

I agree, I have always admired the guy.

Reactions: GM

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm quite impressed at the producers' talent in assembling the worst shower of egotists, idiots, illiterates and outright tossers yet, but I'm depressed that younger viewers might think the world of business really is populated by people like that. No wonder kids just want to write an app, sell it and retire.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm quite impressed at the producers' talent in assembling the worst shower of egotists, idiots, illiterates and outright tossers yet, but I'm depressed that younger viewers might think the world of business really is populated by people like that. No wonder kids just want to write an app, sell it and retire.
I think the editors also do a fine job.

Top Bottom