The Ashes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
Which is why Vaughan suggested that Cook needs some mentors helping behind the scenes.
Vaughan mentioned that he had a couple of mentors, one worked in the media, and watched from the media centre, the other was an MCC member who played local league cricket but had a wealth of tactical kniowledge, but would sit next to the England balcony and watch every session of cricket. It meant that Vaughan had feedback from the media side and also the educated fan side, and this helped him understand how and when to change the course of a game.
Mentors are all well and good, but when your out in the field trying to break a big partnership and there is an hour + to go until the next break you screwed. You have to be able to read the game and it isn't necessarily something that can be taught, after all how long has he been playing cricket and it seems like he doesn't have any ability to do it now.
There are too many backroom staff as it is, seems to me like they are constantly being spoon fed information that they should be working out for themselves. Head coach, skills coaches (batting, bowling, field/keeping), physio, masseuse, analyst, scorer. Seriously what are the rest of the backroom staff there for/doing?

green1

Über Member
Until they (ECB) stop hiding behind the legal issues line and say something, it's going to run and run. I bought tickets for the 20/20 in Barbados next month. Wish I hadn't bothered looking at the squad.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've just come back from the crematorium
Did you miss your appointment?

Until they (ECB) stop hiding behind the legal issues line and say something, it's going to run and run. I bought tickets for the 20/20 in Barbados next month. Wish I hadn't bothered looking at the squad.

I was swithering over buying tickets for the ODI against Sri Lanka at Durham, and decided I'd be better using the money for something more worthwhile. 20/20 in Barbados is a whole different level of stupidity :laugh:

green1

Über Member
I was swithering over buying tickets for the ODI against Sri Lanka at Durham, and decided I'd be better using the money for something more worthwhile. 20/20 in Barbados is a whole different level of stupidity :laugh:
Stupid? I'm out there getting married. :whistle:
I wouldn't open the curtains for 20/20 normally but since I was going to be out there anyway...

Stupid? I'm out there getting married. :whistle:
I wouldn't open the curtains for 20/20 normally but since I was going to be out there anyway...

Ah, that's ok then...not stupid at all then. I thought you were going over just to watch! That would have been a new level of stupidity. And I agree about 20/20. Not cricket.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
[quoteGreen1, post: 2914813, member: 20688"]Until they (ECB) stop hiding behind the legal issues line and say something, it's going to run and run. I bought tickets for the 20/20 in Barbados next month. Wish I hadn't bothered looking at the squad.[/quote]
How Jade Dernbach keeps his place is an unsolved mystery.

green1

Über Member
Saw him get tonked Vs Scotland in Edinburgh last May. He was called up by England about 4 days later. :wacko:

Paul99

Über Member
[quoteGreen1, post: 2914813, member: 20688"]Until they (ECB) stop hiding behind the legal issues line and say something, it's going to run and run. I bought tickets for the 20/20 in Barbados next month. Wish I hadn't bothered looking at the squad.
How Jade Dernbach keeps his place is an unsolved mystery.[/quote]

No mystery. His face fits and the selectors would rather eat their own faeces than admit they were wrong to select him in the first place.

Top Bottom