The Ashes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Andy Flower has fallen on his sword as we lose yet another game in the T20 series.
Ashley Giles is being touted as next head honcho - I sincerely hope, but have strong doubts, that he will be a more inspiring coach than he was a player
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25982894
I'm reminded of a documentary I saw recently about Botham's Headingly and all that, in which it detailed the remarkable impact of Botham ceding the captaincy to Brearley - the last gasp and perfect embodiment of the old Players & Gentlemen ethos - picked despite the fact that, as one of the Aussies put it, looking baffled/amused, "He couldn't bat and he couldn't bowl", because he brought a spirit and a structure to the team that gave the likes of Botham and Willis the space to do their thing.

AndyRM

XOXO
Andy Flower has fallen on his sword as we lose yet another game in the T20 series.
Ashley Giles is being touted as next head honcho - I sincerely hope, but have strong doubts, that he will be a more inspiring coach than he was a player
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25982894

Giles has inspired an excellent limited overs team to mediocrity, at best. If he takes over it will mean several years in the wilderness for English cricket.

Until Paul Collingwood takes over.

Some good comments above.

I also would like to see Paul Collingwood get the job. Although I believe he wants to see his contract out with Scotland, plus, IIRC, I think he will play for Durham for the 2014 season.

BUT the big problem is, as someone said earlier, the attitude, hierarchy and old-boy network MUST change for English cricket to improve.

Ganymede

Veteran
Some good comments above.

I also would like to see Paul Collingwood get the job. Although I believe he wants to see his contract out with Scotland, plus, IIRC, I think he will play for Durham for the 2014 season.

BUT the big problem is, as someone said earlier, the attitude, hierarchy and old-boy network MUST change for English cricket to improve.

I've come late to this thread and not read all of it (I mean, come off it...) but so agree about the old-boy thing. My sister was involved in women's cricket at national level (in a voluntary capacity going to meetings at Lord's n stuff, never quite got what it was exactly) and she said they were appalling. And my sister really wanted to like them. They are rubbish at communication and admin, and have favoured old cricketers over people who really know about how to run an organisation. I should add, this was a few years ago - maybe 5? They may have improved, or possibly creaked towards the stage of realising that they have to Do Something.

green1

Über Member
Bonkers to drop Pietersen. And if Ashley Giles is favourite for the job I really do fear the worst. Bring in someone like Vaughan and bring some attacking cricket back in to the fold. When I think of the King of Spain the first that comes to mind is over the wicket into the rough outside leg stump. :tired:

Reminds me of Gower and look what happened after he was given the boot.

Last edited:
The axing of KP is the VERY reason why the whole set-up of England cricket is wrong.

They say he's too old, that he didn't have a good series in Australia. Have a look at the table below:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/the-a...wling_by_team.html?id=7899;team=1;type=series

The ages of the batsmen aren't there, but there are a lot over 30.

The coach has gone, and so should Cook, both as batsman (at least until he has regained his form and confidence, AND improved both his footwork and technique) and captain (he was well out of his league: you just need to look at Clarke who was always trying something new or different, to see how woeful Cook was).

But to see the 'top' people in English cricket (Giles Clarke -a wealthy business man, and James Whitaker and Paul Downton - two, IMO, average county cricketers) running the game in the same way as always, well, that's where the problem lies.

RIP English cricket. FFS

Top Bottom