The Ashes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Although not when Botham deliberately ran him out on Willis' instructions in a test match against NZ. "What have you done?" demanded a distraught Boyks. "I've run you out, you c**t".
My comparison with KP was because they both regularly put their own wishes and batting style above what the team needed.
I've never heard that story. Excellent! I take your point too.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
Although not when Botham deliberately ran him out on Willis' instructions in a test match against NZ. "What have you done?" demanded a distraught Boyks. "I've run you out, you c**t".
My comparison with KP was because they both regularly put their own wishes and batting style above what the team needed.
Do we know whether KP was encouraged by team management to rein in his style or to give it full vent though ?
He might have been encouraged by the team to indulge his natural batting style.
Has anyone within the team set up stated publicly that KP ought to have batted differently ?

Edit : well I suspect the above comment will appear rather foolish in the morning - rumours are that the ECB will comment on an ultimatum issued by Andy Flower, that either KP goes or he does...

Last edited:
Not foolish at all, Thom.
It is hard to imagine natural flair being curbed by committee. King Viv, Sobers, Clive Lloyd, Malcolm Marshall. let alone Beefy, Derek Randall etc etc would all be out on their ears if overall management ruled the day.
Friction has always existed I suppose, and 'Management' are another tier in the modern blame game, should things not go smoothly on the field.('Management' probably coined the oft used phrase when professional sportsmen cf: particularly rugby union say "well, we can take the positives from this match" paraphrasing Robshaw, after being regally stuffed by Wales last year) As the players in all teams of elite level are pretty good at using their talents, it's hard to see what else can be done except get experience of playing, working on technique and being comfortable with each other. Any tactical observations needed - then the coach steps in with a strategy ie: "When Johnson bowls a short one at you, don't duck into it, you plank" - that sort of advice...you know what I mean. A posse of suited guys on a balcony is not going to govern the individual guts and toughness of the players on the pitch - whatever they say. And well done Australia - a perfect, comprehensive stuffing, administered in mean, nasty, agressive fashion. They'll get some back in South Africa no doubt...'Shorty' Steyn will be slinging them down and Philander might have a say too. Roll on February!
Cricket's not been the same since Weetabix, beer and poker+rum sessions in the changing room gave way to insurance companies and corporate boxes.<corinthian fogey alert> :smile:

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
The comment today from Flower in any case is to quash rumours he issued any ultimatum regarding KP's future in the team.

U

User169

Selvey reckons Pieterson will want to sign up for IPL (last opportunity for a big pay day) which in effect means he'll need to retire from international cricket.

Here's an interesting article - by Barney Ronay, one of my favourites via The Guardian.
As English cricket gawps at the spectacle of a man from Harare and a man from KwlaZulu-Natal jousting in its front parlour it is tempting to assume what is going on, here is in some way an epic confrontation, rather than simply a collision of individuals who happen to be in the front rank. It is in effect a standoff on top of a moving train, a process of flinching for the holster, all with one eye on the looming railway tunnel that is the IPL auction starting on 12 February, the next significant date in this saga of departure. Pietersen is sure to be offered a big-rupee, three-year contract. Should he accept it Flower will have the lever to force his issue.
Go for the full article here.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Okay, okay, the men got stuffed and they just lost the first ODI but the women are on course for victory with the Aussies on 57-5 chasing 185.
Of course, it could all go tits up, if that's not too sexist a way of describing it!

ASC1951

Guru
Okay, okay, the men got stuffed and they just lost the first ODI but the women are on course for victory with the Aussies on 57-5 chasing 185....
One of my very minor claims to fame is that I used to employ one of the England women's team. Proper serious athletes are intimidating people.
And twenty years before that my second ever employee was a lass who later came #6 in Miss World. She wasn't intimidating - nor even, as I recall, outstandingly attractive. Not that I am either.

Last edited:
Okay, okay, the men got stuffed and they just lost the first ODI but the women are on course for victory with the Aussies on 57-5 chasing 185.
Of course, it could all go tits up, if that's not too sexist a way of describing it!
Well played! :smile:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/13/womens-ashes-england-australia-test
6b3fdba7-a257-4b30-814c-a6e62ed98eec-460x276.jpe

Top Bottom