The Ashes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hussain or Vaughan would be my shout for coach.

Definitely Vaughan, but not Hussain. He'd be too much in the Flower mould, IMO.

I remember the Hussein/Fletcher partnership: that was neither too successful nor a bundle of laughs.

The BIG problem is (apart from all the shite in the suits and ties) who would be captain?
I'm really struggling to see a replacement for Cook, whom, BTW, should never be allowed to toss a coin for England again.

green1

Über Member
Definitely Vaughan, but not Hussain. He'd be too much in the Flower mould, IMO.

I remember the Hussein/Fletcher partnership: that was neither too successful nor a bundle of laughs.

The BIG problem is (apart from all the s***e in the suits and ties) who would be captain?
I'm really struggling to see a replacement for Cook, whom, BTW, should never be allowed to toss a coin for England again.
Go down the Graeme Smith road, and pick someone who hasn't/hardly played Tests before.
Cook has no tactical acumen at all, tedious and dull as ditch water to watch and way too defensive. Problem is none of the rest of them look like they do either.

Hussian/Fletcher brought us back from literal rock bottom which allowed Vaughan to kicked on. If Hussain hadn't put some steel back in the side Vaughan wouldn't have had the success he did.

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Go down the Graeme Smith road, and pick someone who hasn't/hardly played Tests before.
Cook has no tactical acumen at all, tedious and dull as ditch water to watch and way too defensive. Problem is none of the rest of them look like they do either.

Hussian/Fletcher brought us back from literal rock bottom which allowed Vaughan to kicked on. If Hussain hadn't put some steel back in the side Vaughan wouldn't have had the success he did.
I agree but finding someone like Graeme Smith from county cricket is pretty unlikely

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Maybe its just me but Pieterson doesn't seem like a team player and hasnt progressed as a player like he should. If he only has one way of playing and wont adjust his style for the situation what good is he?

Paul99

Über Member
Maybe its just me but Pieterson doesn't seem like a team player and hasnt progressed as a player like he should. If he only has one way of playing and wont adjust his style for the situation what good is he?
Yep, it's just you. ^_^

green1

Über Member
2914358 said:
My problem with Pietersen is that he has scored loads of runs, but usually not on the days we really needed him to.
Something I would say about Bell not Pietersen.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Like Cook, Trott, Prior you mean?
In fairness I didnt say I rated them either ^_^

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think the public statement vis a vis KP is unnecessary and bad PR but I think it's the right time to start refreshing the team and he can't be part of that for historic reasons.
I hope the ECB have the balls to drop Cook as captain too. He's a class act but needs a break from a job that he's not cut out for. I'll have to have a think of who to replace him with though!
We also need a spinner to start performing too. Keedy was the next cab on the rank but he got slaughtered by the Aussies last summer

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I hope the ECB have the balls to drop Cook as captain too. He's a class act but needs a break from a job that he's not cut out for. I'll have to have a think of who to replace him with though!
Michael Vaughan on 5Live last night was very vocal in keeping Cook. There have been so many changes with Swan, Trott, KP, Flower that they have to keep some stability for now. which does seem to make sense, as there is no one knocking on the door to take over as captain. He also suggested that Morgan could be a potential captain in the future.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Cook is not a captain, never has been, never will be. He's got as much tactical acumen as a bail.
Which is why Vaughan suggested that Cook needs some mentors helping behind the scenes.
Vaughan mentioned that he had a couple of mentors, one worked in the media, and watched from the media centre, the other was an MCC member who played local league cricket but had a wealth of tactical kniowledge, but would sit next to the England balcony and watch every session of cricket. It meant that Vaughan had feedback from the media side and also the educated fan side, and this helped him understand how and when to change the course of a game.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Given that most of us think you should pick the best team, and the captain from that eleven, who would the candidates be?
A while ago, Graeme Swann would have been a candidate but...
Bell - not a strong enough personality - similar to Cook IMO
Anderson - too introverted ? but possible I suppose
Morgan - never cemented a test place on merit
Prior - latterly dropped but has the nous and self-confidence

Top Bottom