The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
That's not cheating, that's resource management. I'm sometimes doing four different breads in one day and I'll be doing two with the stand mixer, one by hand and, like you, using the bread machine to knead and prove the fourth.

And as my wife says, "If you want it to look as if it came from M&S you might as well just buy it from them."
She'd also describe your lovely rolls as artisanal.

Thanks @glasgowcyclist for your kind words. I would settle for all approximately the same size and shape.

The family didn't seem to mind though, none left!

The family didn't seem to mind though, none left!

*THAT* is the hallmark of a good bake. ^_^

SteveF

Sun-dried tomato, gouda and parmisan sourdough.. .have a boule about to go in the oven.. .. May have over doughed a tad....

DSC_0234.JPG

Dave7

Legendary Member
Pizza base question............................(in my previous related post someone mentioned "the bakers thread" so I thought I would post this specific question.
My bread make has a recipe for pizza base but it simple tells me to form the dough into balls then press and leave to rise for 15 minutes.
I like thin bases...........once it has risen can I roll it to make it thin ?
If so how thin (approx) without ruining it?
Thanks

C R

Guru
Pizza base question............................(in my previous related post someone mentioned "the bakers thread" so I thought I would post this specific question.
My bread make has a recipe for pizza base but it simple tells me to form the dough into balls then press and leave to rise for 15 minutes.
I like thin bases...........once it has risen can I roll it to make it thin ?
If so how thin (approx) without ruining it?
Thanks
At home we just spread the base by hand, no rolling pin, because we like the base thick. I don't see any reason not to use a rolling pin, though, just play with the thickness until you get it the way you like it. Experimentation is part of the fun.

Dave7

Legendary Member
View attachment 407381
my latest wholemeal bread attempt. About to tuck in with smoked peppered mackerel.....yum

Cracked open my latest bake at lunchtime - a ukrainian style sourdough.

50% wholegrain: half rye, half wholemeal and some rolled oats (because I'd goofed up a bit on hydration and oats are a good soaker-upper of too much liquid). Half of the flour pre-fermented with the levain for a day, then the dough bulk fermented for a day (including overnight stay in the fridge). Plus 1/4 of the moisture in the form of live natural yoghurt. Also added my usual 2tbsp of oil for 600g of flour.

Not much oven spring, but a dark, firm, flavourful loaf with a nice sour tang to it. Reminds me of the bread I used to be able to buy that was supplied by the Kolos bakery in Bradford.

Will be fabby sliced thinly, buttered and served alongside some pickled herrings in cream sauce. :hungry:

Top Bottom