The bakers' thread

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by glasgowcyclist, 19 Dec 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

Bit of a different fruit scone here, made using Bowmore 17 yr old single malt...

If ever you needed smellivision, this is where it would come into its own.
    Lightly smokey, vanilla and toffee scented, they are phenomenal.
    Soft and fluffy inside, perfect when still warm, with plenty butter.

image.jpeg

Pat "5mph", theclaud, SteveF and 6 others like this.
  2. C R

C R Über Member

Oh, come on man, I had promised myself I wasn't going to have any biscuits today! Now I feel hungry.

glasgowcyclist likes this.
  3. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

I've shown my wife the photo. She's asking how you make the scones rise so well, hers never do. Any tips?

4. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

It's my first attempt at scones but I know that many TV bakers say don't twist the cutter when pressing out the shape as this can inhibit the rise. Cut straight down firmly.

I'll add a link to the recipe once I've found it. It's another from my Dan Lepard book 'Short & Sweet'.

Here it is https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/nov/24/foodanddrink.baking62

Last edited: 9 Apr 2019
    LeetleGreyCells and C R like this.
  5. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Also, don't over-work the dough, and work quickly once you've added the liquid.

6. LeetleGreyCells

Thank you to you both. She’s going to have a go as soon as she can. Fingers crossed.

7. annedonnelly

annedonnelly Girl from the North Country

And the dough should be sticky.

I've a Mary Berry recipe that works well for me.

Continuing the scone theme, does anyone have a recipe for scones including oats (not oatmeal)? I found one online and I liked the texture of a resulting scones but they didn't rise and took ages to cook - I suspect that the suggested oven temp was too low. I'll try them again but I'd be interested to see other recipes.

LeetleGreyCells likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

The resultant dough in my recipe was smooth and easy to handle, not sticky.
    His recipe for everyday scones specifies the dough should be soft and sticky but not the whisky dough.

9. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

I use a two fat ladies recipe. Dough is pretty slack, but not terribly sticky (from memory, it's a while since I made any...)

10. LeetleGreyCells

So my wife had a go at @glasgowcyclist ’s scone recipe and used the tips you all suggested. Here’s what she came up with:

2019-04-10 11.35.27.jpg 2019-04-10 11.35.36.jpg

She was pleased with how they turned out. The scones had risen much more than usual and were very light and fluffy.

Next time, she's going to do the same recipe, but add 50g of raisins (or whatever it is that goes in scones).

Thanks again for your help! :notworthy:

Reynard, CarlP, SteveF and 4 others like this.
  11. C R

C R Über Member

Today's Yorkshires, I wish I knew how I got them to raise like that.

IMG_20190414_175759897.jpg

12. annedonnelly

I don't like Yorkshires but they are very impressive!

13. C R

C R Über Member

Thank you. We are partial to a yorkshire or three in this house, these didn't last very long.

annedonnelly likes this.
  14. C R

C R Über Member

Half term and home with the monkeys today and tomorrow. We cooked empanadas for dinner, mostly daughters one and two's work

IMG_20190415_182547004.jpg
    Tomorrow we are making rosca da pascua, which is a traditional Galician easter bread, made with eggs and butter, something between hot cross buns and brioche. Will keep you posted.

15. annedonnelly

Hot cross buns. Though I confess that I let the bread maker do the mixing & proving - I was making fish pies at the same time.

2019-04-19 11.39.57.jpg

There may have been another bun that didn't survive long enough for the photo shoot :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice