The bakers' thread

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by glasgowcyclist, 19 Dec 2017.

1. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

LOL, one has to have quality control after all :laugh:

CarlP and annedonnelly like this.
  2. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

I have a babka drozdzowa about to go into the oven (it's been rising nice and slowly since last night) and there's a three grain bread with caraway seed doing its bulk ferment. I've had to banish the bread dough to the fridge for a bit as it's been rising more quickly than I'd anticipated.

Hopefully I'll have a nice babka and bread for my swieconka for tomorrow.

3. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

My easter basket (swieconka), which includes a chunk of the three grain bread, plus the babka.

NR1F5400_small.jpg

Also included is sausage, cheese, hard boiled eggs, butter, salt and a lamb. Latter is cast in sugar, also made by yours truly. That lot will make a very fine brunch tomorrow... :hungry:

Oh, and Happy Easter to all my fellow CC bakers.

4. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

Sundried tomato and parmesan bread. Oh yes.

IMG_20190504_214207.jpg IMG_20190504_224943.jpg

glasgowcyclist, SteveF, CarlP and 2 others like this.
  5. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Reminds, I'd better put on a preferment. Otherwise there might be a distinct lack of bread on Monday... :whistle:

CarlP likes this.
  6. alicat

alicat Guru

Hi @Reynard - I would love to know why you do a preferment?

7. CarlP

CarlP There’s no need to live in a pit of doom

What’s a preferment?

8. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Just gives more flavour and a nicer texture to the bread. I typically preferment between 20 and 50% of my flour depending on where my mood takes me.

9. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

A certain percentage of your flour, usually with an equal amount in weight of water and a pinch of yeast. Mix together and leave for between 12 to 18 hours prior to making the rest of your dough.

CarlP likes this.
  10. alicat

alicat Guru

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity @Reynard. ^_^

CarlP likes this.
  11. CharlesF

CharlesF Veteran

As someone self-taught, it was an eye-opener to go on the taster course run by the Glasgow Little Sourdough Bakery. It is only a taster of 4 hours with lunch at the end. I was able to ask lots of questions and was put right on a few of my misunderstanding. Although I have a successful starter, I eagerly took home one Vicky got us to prepare with rye flour. Interestingly, she does everything in plastic containers, not bowls. Her tip to wet your hands before handling the dough was, for me, worth the whole course. Besides bread, she is very knowledgeable of foraging, vegan and fermented foods. Well worth it if you're near Glasgow.

glasgowcyclist and Reynard like this.
  12. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

If you're working with high hydration dough, then keeping your hands and the work surface wet is pretty well much the only way not to have dough sticking to everything.

DAMHIKT :laugh:

13. CharlesF

CharlesF Veteran

Ah, but for me “ every day is a school day”!

Vicky made sourdough pancakes, that seemed very slapdash in the quantities, but were superb. After heating the coconut butter, she ground sea salt in the pan, resulting in a really tasty pancake that were gobbled down neat.

Trying that for tomorrow’s breakfast.

glasgowcyclist and Reynard like this.
  14. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Sourdough waffles... :hungry:

15. OP
    OP
    glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

I've found a rye starter to be more reliable and easier to maintain.
    The wet hands trick is a favourite too because it's so simple and clean.

Thanks for the link to the Little Sourdough Bakery, I'd never heard of it. I've done a sourdough course before but the foraging course looks interesting so I fancy giving that a go.

CharlesF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice